Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by susweel:
F+

2x this draft SUCKS

Please don't encourage them susweel.

lol
I voted a B.

Heres why..

1st) Jimmie Ward S/CB - (Grade = B) - Yeah he was a good player in the MAC. He is a small dude that we will put in the slot for a few years. Maybe he will pair up with Reid at Safety in a few years. Ball hawk. Was a bit of a reach, imo. I thought there were better players on the board.

2nd) Carlos Hyde RB - (Grade = A) - Love this pick, we got the best RB in the draft. A big bruiser to pound the rock for years to come. Our RB situation is not as solid as some think. Gore and Hunter's contracts are up after this year. 1 or both are gone. Gore really slowed down last year, especially in the playoffs. LMJ is a crying punk, as good as gone. Lattimore's knee was turned into a pretzel 17 months ago, who knows if he will ever be the same. So in reality Carlos Hyde is our only stable option for the foreseeable future.

3rd) Marcus Martin C - (Grade = A-) - Best center available. Strong. Long arms. Will battle with Kilgore for our starting C position. I just dont think the need was really there as strong as a WR or a CB at this position.

3rd) Chris Borland MLB - (Grade = C+) - Short armed MLB. Yeah Bowman will be gone for most the season, more than likely. But he will be back. Wilhoite played like an absolute stud last year filling in for P-Will. I dont think the need was there, especially looking at other positions. We could of picked up a guy similar to Borland later in the draft Barrow? Skov?

3rd) Brandon Thomas OT - (Grade = B-) - Good player. Hurt, will redshirt. Just dont no if I see the need. We have so many solid OL starters and solid depth. Especially adding Jonathan Martin. We have Looney, who played well last year when Staley went down. The only thing I can think of as to why the 49ers would grab Thomas over other players on the board at the time would be because the Niners do not plan on signing Iupati long term.

----------------------------------------

We still need a WR. The point of getting a WR right now is to allow the Rook to learn behind Crabtree and Boldin. Yeah we got Stevie Johnson, but his contract is not long term and it is more expensive.

We still need a true CB. Culliver, Cox, and Wright are on 1 year deals. It would be perfect to bring in a CB right now to learn for a year.

For that I can only give this draft a weak B, so far..
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
C+

Quality depth.

Ward and Martin may start, and Hyde may start eventually. Really would have liked to see Gaines on our roster over Borland at this point in the draft.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Ward - A: versatile enough to play nickelback, strong safety starter long-term. Baalke mentioned they love his speed -- he ran like a 4.48 on an injured foot at the combine, and "ran stride for stride with Dri Archer" in his matchup against him. This makes a ton of sense, and is an immediate upgrade over Rogers.

---

Hyde - A-: James/Hunter/Lattimore/Gore/Hyde. Yikes. What on earth are they going to do with all of these backs? James will probably be traded for a late-round pick. Can they justify having four backs on the roster this year? Interested to see how this plays out.

Anyway, Hyde is a great value where we got him -- some mocks had him a as a late first, and he was the consensus top back in the draft. I love this pick because he demonstrates how loaded our roster is. Because we have so few holes, we were able to go BPA and not feel guilty about it.

---

Martin - A: love this pick. Read one scouting report that said his NFL comparable was -- get this -- Jonathon Goodwin. Nice to see them draft a successor.

---

Borland - B+: I think he'll be a great backup and contribute on ST. If a starter goes down, I think he'll fill in like a Dan Skuta did. He'll play first/second down, and then leave in favor of a pass-rusher/DB in passing situations.

---

Thomas - A; LOVE THIS! Before he got hurt, I saw him going in the late-first round in some mocks. This is a tremendous pick, and is totally in-line with the Lattimore/Carradine strategy from last year. Again, for where we got him, this is a fantastic value.

We now have Kilgore, Martin and Thomas in the mix for long-term options for our line. I suspect Martin eventually becomes the starting center, Thomas becomes the starting LG, and Iupati walks next offseason (not good enough in pass protection to warrant a huge contract from us). Iupati will get a huge deal, and we'll pick up a 3rd or 4th round pick as compensation.

By the way, something to consider: Thomas will likely be put on IR the whole year, given that ACL's are harder to recover from for bigger guys. This is really important. If you remember, by IR'ing Lattimore the whole year, we extended our rights to him for an additional year. This means we're not "wasting" a year Thomas by drafting him just because he's injured. We'll still get a full four years out of him.

---

MISC: Steve Johnson - A+. Here's why I love this trade so much: we gave up a conditional 2015 4th (i.e. it could potentially turn into a 3rd -- not sure of the details on that). However, Baalke somehow managed to acquire a 2015 4th today by moving down one spot in the draft (+ giving up a 7th). In essence, we got Steve Johnson for a 7th round pick. That is shrewd as hell by Trent.

Johnson will be a great slot receiver for us, and as a bonus, he gives us insurance in case Crabtree walks next offseason. Here's another reason I love this deal: we now have 3 legitimate starter receivers (Johnson, Crabtree, Boldin). If someone gets hurt, we're not stuck with someone like Kevin fu**ing Williams starting games for us. Great, great, under-the-radar acquisition.

---

Overall it was a spectacular day. I mean, honestly, we are truly blessed to have such a kickass coach/GM.

/thread.

Honestly, does anything else need to be said?
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
According to cbssports.com we got the #1 ranked strong safety, #1 ranked center, #1 ranked running back, and #2 ranked inside linebacker. On top of that we got Stevie Johnson and Brandon Thomas. Holy f***.

And people act like we picked a bunch of deadbeats lol. Today was an ultra-productive day, and we still have 7 picks to play with tomorrow!!!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
A- still need to address Corner and I would like a back up QB.

Trade back up and get me Desir and McCarron.

Sounds good. But whoever we drafted, are they going to be better than #1 Brock, #2 Culliver, #3 Ward, #4 Wright and #5 Cox plus Cook/Morris? All have NFL experience and/or experience in OUR system. We need a developmental CB.

And most of those guys have starting cornerback experience.

And our defense isn't designed to put a corner on an island very often. We play off coverage, and a lot of zone. You can't highly pay every single position.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
A- still need to address Corner and I would like a back up QB.

Trade back up and get me Desir and McCarron.

Sounds good. But whoever we drafted, are they going to be better than #1 Brock, #2 Culliver, #3 Ward, #4 Wright and #5 Cox plus Cook/Morris? All have NFL experience and/or experience in OUR system. We need a developmental CB.

And most of those guys have starting cornerback experience.

And our defense isn't designed to put a corner on an island very often. We play off coverage, and a lot of zone. You can't highly pay every single position.

Looking at the current depth, we're pretty good at CB. I'm sure we'll add someone tomorrow to add even more depth and competition.

Hate to break it to people, but the moves we made with Johnson and Ward significantly reduced the need for a CB and WR. We're going BPA with players who fit the makeup of the team.
Ward and Martin were the best picks in my mind. I don't think Hyde has the explosion/burst that you need in a legit RB. Borland doesn't really have the speed and ranginess that you'd want, especially given that Willis/Bowman are two of the fastest and athletic at their position.
Originally posted by CasBanaszek:
Ward: A
Hyde: B-
Martin: A
Borland: F
Thomas: C

why? we passed on Latimore and Gaines to get some of those guys.

Latimer will be a bust!! Big Ten WR suck!
  • Andra
  • Veteran
I give this draft a A grade. I think we really stuck to our board and went BPA. A luxury only great teams have.
you can tell who bases their evaluations on youtube highlights and NFL.com scouting reports. borland is going to be a star on this team.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM ]
We are way too optimistic... I don't think we are being realistic at all
Ward: C- most had him in 2-3
Hyde: B-
Martin: A
Borland: F
Thomas: B+
I'll give it a solid B+ at this point. We covered three needs with top end players in Ward, Martin and Borland. We made one semi-luxury pick with Hyde and snagged maybe the best red-shirt prospect in the draft. So it's thumbs up. I don't give it an A because we've heard for months that this is the best WR draft class in many years, yet we trade for Stevie Johnson and watch the so called excellent WR class vanish pick by excruciating pick.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on May 9, 2014 at 9:48 PM ]
1-5 picks no CB or WR? You couldn't find a mock on the Internet that would predict that!

"BPA"