There are 164 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Grade the 49ers Draft After Round 3

Grade the 49ers Draft After Round 3

Gave draft a A- so far. Love the picks. Hoping far a combination of CB Desir or Breeland, QB Logan Thomas & WR Martavias Bryant to finish out the draft tomorrow.
Too early to tell as they may be able to fill all the perceived needs on the last day, but so far:

1st) Jimmie Ward S/CB--perfect compliment to Reid and a modern day, prototypical Safety.
2nd) Carlos Hyde RB--many had him rated best back in the draft and a good value.
3rd) Marcus Martin C--tremendous fill for a need. If Kilgore struggles then Martin will be good insurance.
3rd) Chris Borland MLB--weakest pick except that Bowman is injured and this guy has a rep as a gamer.
3rd) Brandon Thomas OT--1/2 rounder before injury, will be ready to replace Iupati a year from now if need be.

I voted for a B+ due to not picking a WR or true CB. But they filled the immediate need for a WR with Johnson and Ward may play the role of nickle corner...so with that in mind I'll wait until the other picks come in and see what WRs and CBs they may take tomorrow...still some really good talent avalable.
Ward - A: versatile enough to play nickelback, strong safety starter long-term. Baalke mentioned they love his speed -- he ran like a 4.48 on an injured foot at the combine, and "ran stride for stride with Dri Archer" in his matchup against him. This makes a ton of sense, and is an immediate upgrade over Rogers.

---

Hyde - A-: James/Hunter/Lattimore/Gore/Hyde. Yikes. What on earth are they going to do with all of these backs? James will probably be traded for a late-round pick. Can they justify having four backs on the roster this year? Interested to see how this plays out.

Anyway, Hyde is a great value where we got him -- some mocks had him a as a late first, and he was the consensus top back in the draft. I love this pick because he demonstrates how loaded our roster is. Because we have so few holes, we were able to go BPA and not feel guilty about it.

---

Martin - A: love this pick. Read one scouting report that said his NFL comparable was -- get this -- Jonathon Goodwin. Nice to see them draft a successor.

---

Borland - B+: I think he'll be a great backup and contribute on ST. If a starter goes down, I think he'll fill in like a Dan Skuta did. He'll play first/second down, and then leave in favor of a pass-rusher/DB in passing situations.

---

Thomas - A; LOVE THIS! Before he got hurt, I saw him going in the late-first round in some mocks. This is a tremendous pick, and is totally in-line with the Lattimore/Carradine strategy from last year. Again, for where we got him, this is a fantastic value.

We now have Kilgore, Martin and Thomas in the mix for long-term options for our line. I suspect Martin eventually becomes the starting center, Thomas becomes the starting LG, and Iupati walks next offseason (not good enough in pass protection to warrant a huge contract from us). Iupati will get a huge deal, and we'll pick up a 3rd or 4th round pick as compensation.

By the way, something to consider: Thomas will likely be put on IR the whole year, given that ACL's are harder to recover from for bigger guys. This is really important. If you remember, by IR'ing Lattimore the whole year, we extended our rights to him for an additional year. This means we're not "wasting" a year Thomas by drafting him just because he's injured. We'll still get a full four years out of him.

---

MISC: Steve Johnson - A+. Here's why I love this trade so much: we gave up a conditional 2015 4th (i.e. it could potentially turn into a 3rd -- not sure of the details on that). However, Baalke somehow managed to acquire a 2015 4th today by moving down one spot in the draft (+ giving up a 7th). In essence, we got Steve Johnson for a 7th round pick. That is shrewd as hell by Trent.

Johnson will be a great slot receiver for us, and as a bonus, he gives us insurance in case Crabtree walks next offseason. Here's another reason I love this deal: we now have 3 legitimate starter receivers (Johnson, Crabtree, Boldin). If someone gets hurt, we're not stuck with someone like Kevin fu**ing Williams starting games for us. Great, great, under-the-radar acquisition.

---

Overall it was a spectacular day. I mean, honestly, we are truly blessed to have such a kickass coach/GM.
Ward B+ Good player but origonally projected around pick 40-45
Hyde A Good player and great value pick
Martin A Good player and great value pick
Borland C- OK player , too many good players we could use still on the board at WR,CB or even G Gabe Jackson
Thomas B Good player but redshirt injury special Probable mid 2nd to mid 3rd rd pick before injury. Average value rd 3 good value rd 4 or great value 5th rd on
If RB wasn't a postion of need I don't know what is. Gore is on fumes,Lattimore is trying to come back from a horrific knee injury,Hunter simply can't carry the load and is done after this season(contract) and a disgruntled James rounds out the group. The 49ers had to get a RB in this draft and they got a really good power back.
Originally posted by blm7754:
I admit, I am not a huge fan of this draft so far. I give it a C+..... a B if you count Stevie Johnson as part of the draft haul.

However, Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin could both redshirt the year on PUP/IR a la Lattimore and Carradine. Both were good value picks. With Goodwin gone and Iupati possible entering his last season, there is a need to restock interior OL.

The other picks (Ward, Borland and Hyde) I can see having significant roles this year.

Jimmie Ward - Fills the need for a nickle CB, thus replacing Carlos Rogers. He could also start at FS in a couple years when Bethea leaves us.

Carlos Hyde - Scratching my head a little bit with this one. But it was a BPA pick. He's a very good RB prospect and we have a need for a big back. Hunter and James should be worried though, there won't be room on the roster for both of them. I can see Hyde initially as our short yardage back. Long term, he could form a nice tandem with Lattimore.

Chris Borland - Could be a day 1 starter opposite Willis. Bowman will need a while to recover. Not sure where Borland fits in long term. Could be an insurance policy in case Bowman (god forbid) doesn't return to form after the injury.

Stevie Johnson - Fills the need at WR. Would like to have seen us pick up one of the highly talented prospects in the 2nd round. But our team has shown no ability to draft/develop young WRs. Johnson is a solid pickup.

Still have a BIG whole at CB and have a need for a deep-threat speedster at WR. Not sure that we can address both needs on the 3rd day of the draft. But you never know. Most of the more physically gifted prospects at WR and CB are gone. Would much rather have those needs bet than a couple of injured interior OL.
don't hold your breath on GETTING A SPEED RECEIVER ,just more of the same,possesion type guys with ALL the Receivers they had a chance to get,they let just float right on by...with the exception of Ward and Martin this Draft SUCKS
I admit, I am not a huge fan of this draft so far. I give it a C+..... a B if you count Stevie Johnson as part of the draft haul.

However, Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin could both redshirt the year on PUP/IR a la Lattimore and Carradine. Both were good value picks. With Goodwin gone and Iupati possible entering his last season, there is a need to restock interior OL.

The other picks (Ward, Borland and Hyde) I can see having significant roles this year.

Jimmie Ward - Fills the need for a nickle CB, thus replacing Carlos Rogers. He could also start at FS in a couple years when Bethea leaves us.

Carlos Hyde - Scratching my head a little bit with this one. But it was a BPA pick. He's a very good RB prospect and we have a need for a big back. Hunter and James should be worried though, there won't be room on the roster for both of them. I can see Hyde initially as our short yardage back. Long term, he could form a nice tandem with Lattimore.

Chris Borland - Could be a day 1 starter opposite Willis. Bowman will need a while to recover. Not sure where Borland fits in long term. Could be an insurance policy in case Bowman (god forbid) doesn't return to form after the injury.

Stevie Johnson - Fills the need at WR. Would like to have seen us pick up one of the highly talented prospects in the 2nd round. But our team has shown no ability to draft/develop young WRs. Johnson is a solid pickup.

Still have a BIG whole at CB and have a need for a deep-threat speedster at WR. Not sure that we can address both needs on the 3rd day of the draft. But you never know. Most of the more physically gifted prospects at WR and CB are gone. Would much rather have those needs bet than a couple of injured interior OL.
Martin isn't hurt, no need to stash him. Let him compete with Kilgore and Looney.
Originally posted by susweel:
F+

2x this draft SUCKS
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

Why would Martin be redshirted?
Originally posted by tohara3:
Gave draft a A- so far. Love the picks. Hoping far a combination of CB Desir or Breeland, QB Logan Thomas & WR Martavias Bryant to finish out the draft tomorrow.

yeah good luck with that.that is too much like right sooooo its not going to happen.
I'm just here to bash Baalke and think the mock I spent 25 minutes on is how the niners should have drafted.

I'm also upset because we still need to get a corner.

I'm also upset because we didn't draft a WR.

We have so many picks, why don't we trade up and grab somebody like a Ziggy Hood? or a Stephen Hill?
[ Edited by Quest4six on May 9, 2014 at 9:22 PM ]
According to cbssports.com we got the #1 ranked strong safety, #1 ranked center, #1 ranked running back, and #2 ranked inside linebacker. On top of that we got Stevie Johnson and Brandon Thomas. Holy f***.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by susweel:
F+

2x this draft SUCKS

Please don't encourage them susweel.
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
According to cbssports.com we got the #1 ranked strong safety, #1 ranked center, #1 ranked running back, and #2 ranked inside linebacker. On top of that we got Stevie Johnson and Brandon Thomas. Holy f***.

Just watch them give us a B-.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
A- still need to address Corner and I would like a back up QB.

Trade back up and get me Desir and McCarron.

Sounds good. But whoever we drafted, are they going to be better than #1 Brock, #2 Culliver, #3 Ward, #4 Wright and #5 Cox plus Cook/Morris? All have NFL experience and/or experience in OUR system. We need a developmental CB.