There are 290 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers Draft After Round 3

Grade the 49ers Draft After Round 3

I am definitely including Stevie....I think you have too to get the whole picture. The lack of grabbing a wideout is solely because we already acquired one and a pretty dang good one at that.
B

If we draft desir, mcgill

A solid back up QB

Draft another redshirt ala trey Millard or Aaron Colvin

A-

Either way we are kicking the s**t atta Seattle no doubt.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Chris Borland - Could be a day 1 starter opposite Willis. Bowman will need a while to recover. Not sure where Borland fits in long term. Could be an insurance policy in case Bowman (god forbid) doesn't return to form after the injury.
Borland strikes me a starter on a weak team, a solid backup on a good team. There's room for him. Plus, I've read in multiple scouting reports that he'll be a solid contributor on special teams. I think they'll easily find a spot for him.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I admit, I am not a huge fan of this draft so far. I give it a C+..... a B if you count Stevie Johnson as part of the draft haul.

However, Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin could both redshirt the year on PUP/IR a la Lattimore and Carradine. Both were good value picks. With Goodwin gone and Iupati possible entering his last season, there is a need to restock interior OL.

The other picks (Ward, Borland and Hyde) I can see having significant roles this year.

Jimmie Ward - Fills the need for a nickle CB, thus replacing Carlos Rogers. He could also start at FS in a couple years when Bethea leaves us.

Carlos Hyde - Scratching my head a little bit with this one. But it was a BPA pick. He's a very good RB prospect and we have a need for a big back. Hunter and James should be worried though, there won't be room on the roster for both of them. I can see Hyde initially as our short yardage back. Long term, he could form a nice tandem with Lattimore.

Chris Borland - Could be a day 1 starter opposite Willis. Bowman will need a while to recover. Not sure where Borland fits in long term. Could be an insurance policy in case Bowman (god forbid) doesn't return to form after the injury.

Stevie Johnson - Fills the need at WR. Would like to have seen us pick up one of the highly talented prospects in the 2nd round. But our team has shown no ability to draft/develop young WRs. Johnson is a solid pickup.

Still have a BIG whole at CB and have a need for a deep-threat speedster at WR. Not sure that we can address both needs on the 3rd day of the draft. But you never know. Most of the more physically gifted prospects at WR and CB are gone. Would much rather have those needs bet than a couple of injured interior OL.

I think you mean hole, and I'm sure if the 49ers thought they had a BIG hole at CB, they would have taken one by now. Brock and Culliver are the starters, then you have Ward as the nickel corner, then you have Eric Wright, Perrish Cox and Daryl Morris. CB is not nearly as big of a need as some make it out to be, no CB was going to come unto this roster and be a starter from Day 1 other than potentially a slot corner which they took care of.

Still want Desir....the big play ability and ball skills are so tempting and I worry about Cully being around all season.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
F+
I think you mean hole, and I'm sure if the 49ers thought they had a BIG hole at CB, they would have taken one by now. Brock and Culliver are the starters, then you have Ward as the nickel corner, then you have Eric Wright, Perrish Cox and Daryl Morris. CB is not nearly as big of a need as some make it out to be, no CB was going to come unto this roster and be a starter from Day 1 other than potentially a slot corner which they took care of.

Thanks for the correction.

I'm happy with Culliver and Brock. They aren't the most talented, but they'll do. But I'm worried about Culliver getting suspended. He got into some deep s**t with that hit and run. Not to mention he's coming off an ACL injury.

Of course we have Wright, Cox, and Morris. There will somebody to suit up at the position. But it absolutely is one of the areas on this team where we could improve the talent.
Originally posted by cory4903:
Agree on the grade and I know what you were saying but Hyde is so much more than an Anthony Dixon replacement. I love Frank, but having Lattimore and Hyde as a 1-2 bunch is going to be filthy.

Behind the 49ers OL, especially with Thomas and Martin in the future........ Gonna be beastly. 49ers have had added two legit 1st round type talents at RB in back to back years, its gonna be fun.

Agreed. Not sure why so many are hating on the Hyde pick. I love it.

It seems some here want a roster full of WRs. I thought as soon as we traded for Johnson, drafting a WR would be nullified and so far it has been.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I am definitely including Stevie....I think you have too to get the whole picture. The lack of grabbing a wideout is solely because we already acquired one and a pretty dang good one at that.

Yeah, I didn't include him in my grade. I should.

*knock on wood*

If they stay healthy and Kap progresses enough to utilize and keep a stable of QBs this big happy, this offense is going to be killer.
[ Edited by OregonNiner87 on May 9, 2014 at 8:57 PM ]
b-

i draft makes more of an impact down the road than immediate, like a lot of folks want
  • buck
  • Veteran
I am going to wait. The draft is not finished.

None of the players drafted have played a down in the NFL.

So far Baalke has not worked the draft the way I expected him to work the draft.

He has not traded up. He has traded down.

Of his five picks, I only expected that we would draft two--Ward and Martin.

He has not drafted the players that I really wanted him to draft today--Jordan Matthews and Philip Gaines.

So far Baalke has not met my expectations.

Bad, bad, Baalke.

Whats not to love?

Ward fills two needs with one player, and is extremely gifted. Will fit in well to our scheme on defense, and adds a dimension the secondary was missing.

A lot of people mocked me in my mocks for predicting we would draft two oline man in the first three rounds.

The didnt take the the players i predicted, but they did better IMO. Top C in the draft on a lot of peoples boards, and a top G who fell due to injury that we can redshirt. f**king brilliant.

Looks like a lot of us had Desir ranked higher than the scouts. Still would love to nab him in the 4th.

Im f**king stoked on this draft. People are gonna love Borland. Anyone that knows me knows im a huge fan of drafting players that offer special teams ability, Borland will be a stud for us at ST, and he is ready to step into that #3 LB role day one. Extremely high character, and just an all around great player to have in the locker room.

The one pick that was iffy for me was the RB pick, and it was not because i didnt like the player, it was simply because we are stacked at RB, HOWEVER, i can find no fault in drafting the RB who i had ranked #1 in the draft.

To top if off, we get a 4th next year and extra picks this year?

This draft has been lights out. A grade no doubt.
Don't care for the Borland pick with soo many players we could use on the board that would not only add depth but had a very good chance to become starters. CB's Gaines and Desir, Wr Moncreif, G Gabe Jackson.

Not sure why we traded back from #94 to #106 for a 6th rd pick. Now we have two 4ths and two 5ths, a 6th and two more 7ths. Are there 7 more players we need to draft. I hope they have some amazing players they spotted to add late in the draft. Otherwise we should have demanded a 2015 5th rd pick instead of the 6th rounder. It's not like we needed extra late picks this year in the draft. Don't get the strategy.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I admit, I am not a huge fan of this draft so far. I give it a C+..... a B if you count Stevie Johnson as part of the draft haul.

However, Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin could both redshirt the year on PUP/IR a la Lattimore and Carradine. Both were good value picks. With Goodwin gone and Iupati possible entering his last season, there is a need to restock interior OL.

The other picks (Ward, Borland and Hyde) I can see having significant roles this year.

Jimmie Ward - Fills the need for a nickle CB, thus replacing Carlos Rogers. He could also start at FS in a couple years when Bethea leaves us.

Carlos Hyde - Scratching my head a little bit with this one. But it was a BPA pick. He's a very good RB prospect and we have a need for a big back. Hunter and James should be worried though, there won't be room on the roster for both of them. I can see Hyde initially as our short yardage back. Long term, he could form a nice tandem with Lattimore.

Stevie Johnson - Fills the need at WR. Would like to have seen us pick up one of the highly talented prospects in the 2nd round. But our team has shown no ability to draft/develop young WRs. Johnson is a solid pickup.

Still have a BIG whole at CB and have a need for a deep-threat speedster at WR. Not sure that we can address both needs on the 3rd day of the draft. But you never know. Most of the more physically gifted prospects at WR and CB are gone. Would much rather have those needs bet than a couple of injured interior OL.

In addition, I think they correctly evaluated the slotting of the CBs in this draft. With all the trades, they have an early 4th rounder, and ammo to move up from the late 4th to early 4th again.

Reynolds, McGill, Breeland, Desir, Robinson and others are still available at CB. Many of those guys were slotted as a late 2nd to late 3rd.

And at WR, we are still in the running for Ellington, Bryant, and Herron - speedy WRs that add a new dimension to our offense.

And let's not for get DL (Jones, Quarles, Stinton) and QB (McCarron, Mettenberger, Fales, and Murray).

Lots of talented players to be had in the 4th and 5th rounds. I'm excited about tomorrow. Let's do this!

Why would Marcus Martin need to redshirt? Not sure if Kilgore is good enough where he doesn't need competition for the starting job.
[ Edited by kronik on May 9, 2014 at 9:03 PM ]
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Don't care for the Borland pick with soo many players we could use on the board that would not only add depth but had a very good chance to become starters. CB's Gaines and Desir, Wr Moncreif, G Gabe Jackson.

Not sure why we traded back from #94 to #106 for a 6th rd pick. Now we have two 4ths and two 5ths, a 6th and two more 7ths. Are there 7 more players we need to draft. I hope they have some amazing players they spotted to add late in the draft. Otherwise we should have demanded a 2015 5th rd pick instead of the 6th rounder. It's not like we needed extra late picks this year in the draft. Don't get the strategy.

Tomorrow is where we turn those picks into 2015 pics. I dont know why people are shocked with this strategy. It is classic Baalke. Get used to it.
Share 49ersWebzone