LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 244 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers Draft After Round 3

Grade the 49ers Draft After Round 3

How do you think the 49ers have done after Day 2?

1st) Jimmie Ward S/CB
2nd) Carlos Hyde RB
3rd) Marcus Martin C
3rd) Chris Borland MLB
3rd) Brandon Thomas OT
[ Edited by JimHarbaugh on May 9, 2014 at 8:40 PM ]
A- still need to address Corner and I would like a back up QB.

Trade back up and get me Desir and McCarron.
1st) Jimmie Ward S/CB - A-
2nd) Carlos Hyde RB - B
3rd) Marcus Martin C - A+
3rd) Chris Borland MLB - B
3rd) Brandon Thomas OT - A
A

Got a Nickel with ball skills who can possibly start at safety down the line, short yardage back/possible Boobie replacement, really nice additions to the offensive line, quality LB to help fill Bowman's void and Stevie Johnson.

Originally posted by BrianGO:
2nd) Carlos Hyde RB - B

Why only a B for Hyde Brian?
Ward: A
Hyde: B-
Martin: A
Borland: F
Thomas: C

why? we passed on Latimore and Gaines to get some of those guys.
C+

Quality depth.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
A

Got a Nickel with ball skills who can possibly start at safety down the line, short yardage back/possible Boobie replacement, really nice additions to the offensive line, quality LB to help fill Bowman's void and Stevie Johnson.

Agree on the grade and I know what you were saying but Hyde is so much more than an Anthony Dixon replacement. I love Frank, but having Lattimore and Hyde as a 1-2 bunch is going to be filthy.
I admit, I am not a huge fan of this draft so far. I give it a C+..... a B if you count Stevie Johnson as part of the draft haul.

However, Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin could both redshirt the year on PUP/IR a la Lattimore and Carradine. Both were good value picks. With Goodwin gone and Iupati possible entering his last season, there is a need to restock interior OL.

The other picks (Ward, Borland and Hyde) I can see having significant roles this year.

Jimmie Ward - Fills the need for a nickle CB, thus replacing Carlos Rogers. He could also start at FS in a couple years when Bethea leaves us.

Carlos Hyde - Scratching my head a little bit with this one. But it was a BPA pick. He's a very good RB prospect and we have a need for a big back. Hunter and James should be worried though, there won't be room on the roster for both of them. I can see Hyde initially as our short yardage back. Long term, he could form a nice tandem with Lattimore.

Chris Borland - Could be a day 1 starter opposite Willis. Bowman will need a while to recover. Not sure where Borland fits in long term. Could be an insurance policy in case Bowman (god forbid) doesn't return to form after the injury.

Stevie Johnson - Fills the need at WR. Would like to have seen us pick up one of the highly talented prospects in the 2nd round. But our team has shown no ability to draft/develop young WRs. Johnson is a solid pickup.

Still have a BIG whole at CB and have a need for a deep-threat speedster at WR. Not sure that we can address both needs on the 3rd day of the draft. But you never know. Most of the more physically gifted prospects at WR and CB are gone. Would much rather have those needs bet than a couple of injured interior OL.
I admit, I am not a huge fan of this draft so far. I give it a C+..... a B if you count Stevie Johnson as part of the draft haul.

However, Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin could both redshirt the year on PUP/IR a la Lattimore and Carradine. Both were good value picks. With Goodwin gone and Iupati possible entering his last season, there is a need to restock interior OL.

The other picks (Ward, Borland and Hyde) I can see having significant roles this year.

Jimmie Ward - Fills the need for a nickle CB, thus replacing Carlos Rogers. He could also start at FS in a couple years when Bethea leaves us.

Carlos Hyde - Scratching my head a little bit with this one. But it was a BPA pick. He's a very good RB prospect and we have a need for a big back. Hunter and James should be worried though, there won't be room on the roster for both of them. I can see Hyde initially as our short yardage back. Long term, he could form a nice tandem with Lattimore.

Chris Borland - Could be a day 1 starter opposite Willis. Bowman will need a while to recover. Not sure where Borland fits in long term. Could be an insurance policy in case Bowman (god forbid) doesn't return to form after the injury.

Stevie Johnson - Fills the need at WR. Would like to have seen us pick up one of the highly talented prospects in the 2nd round. But our team has shown no ability to draft/develop young WRs. Johnson is a solid pickup.

Still have a BIG whole at CB and have a need for a deep-threat speedster at WR. Not sure that we can address both needs on the 3rd day of the draft. But you never know. Most of the more physically gifted prospects at WR and CB are gone. Would much rather have those needs bet than a couple of injured interior OL.

Solid B, but if you include the acquisition of Johnson, A
Originally posted by cory4903:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
A

Agree on the grade and I know what you were saying but Hyde is so much more than an Anthony Dixon replacement. I love Frank, but having Lattimore and Hyde as a 1-2 bunch is going to be filthy.

Originally posted by blm7754:

I think you mean hole, and I'm sure if the 49ers thought they had a BIG hole at CB, they would have taken one by now. Brock and Culliver are the starters, then you have Ward as the nickel corner, then you have Eric Wright, Perrish Cox and Daryl Morris. CB is not nearly as big of a need as some make it out to be, no CB was going to come unto this roster and be a starter from Day 1 other than potentially a slot corner which they took care of.
Originally posted by cory4903:

Behind the 49ers OL, especially with Thomas and Martin in the future........ Gonna be beastly. 49ers have had added two legit 1st round type talents at RB in back to back years, its gonna be fun.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
2nd) Carlos Hyde RB - B

Why only a B for Hyde Brian?

I am trying to be fair. A "B" is pretty good.

Running backs are hit and miss. If he hit a position of need, it would be an A+, but it wasn't exactly a position of need, so it gets a good grade, but a "B".
Share 49ersWebzone