LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Chris Borland?

Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Somebody just please ease my concerns and tell me this guys isn't Scott McKillop Part 2. McKillop was supposed to be a good tackling LB though a little undersized and not the quickest at his position. Does Borland even make this team? I've been really on board with every pick until this one - I mean this was a third round pick with a lot of talent out there left to choose from.

McKillop was a late round pick. Borland was the 2nd highest rated ILB in this entire draft behind Mosley. Tremendous instincts, very polished, pure football player, you'll love him.

Thank you. Feeling better already. Plus, I always will trust the front office - you can just tell the way they run the draft they have a good plan set in place.

That's easy. You know that player player that is always just there making a tackle? That's Borland.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Read the NFL scouting report on him on the NFL site. He is described as being short and slow with T-REX arms. Maybe a good depth player but not a projeted starter and with so many players on the board who could not only add depth but could project don the road as starters I believe we should have passed and considered him in the 4th rd. the NFL projected him as a 4th-5th rd pick.

There were players I could have seen us taking at #61 in the 2nd rd on the board like G Gabe Jackson, CB's Gaines and Desir or a WR like Donte Moncreif. We need young talented WR's to develop. I am tired of our receiving core being made up of mostly guys nearing retirement.

Just think there were better options than Borland. Would have been ok with him in the 4th rd.

That's your first mistake. Those reports are done by Nawrocki and he manages to be incredibly negative, far more so than warranted about various prospects he simply doesn't like. Don't take his "scouting reports" to heart and you will be happier for it.

Here's a report from Scouting Inc on Borland.

Intangibles-1-Leader. Hard worker on and off the field. Defensive tone setter. Parents are Jeff and Zebbie Borland.

1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

Inside Linebacker Specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition-1-Zach Thomas is obvious comparison due to height, but also similar in reaction skills and natural instincts vs. run, as blitzer and in coverage. Reads keys and rarely takes false steps. Above average job recognizing play action and sniffing out screens/draws. Has a nose for the ball and knows the angles. Playmaker and finisher.

Take-on Skills-2-Downhill run stopper that explodes into lead blockers and flashes ability to lift them off feet. Backs down from no challenge. Uses proper shoulder when taking on. Has very good initial striking ability to jolt blockers, and is quick enough to disengage/pursue before blocker regains balance. Short arms are only a factor when he fails to establish good positioning and/or allows blockers to lock out in phone booth. Struggles at times to keep blockers off of frame, especially taller, longer blockers that prevent him from making clean contact by locking out.

Range vs. Run-2-Plays fast. Diagnoses quickly, shows very good lateral agility to scrape down the line while keeping shoulders square. Shows a quick initial burst when turning to target, and also has very good closing speed on the field. Lacks good change-of-direction skills, so will be slow to redirect when caught over-pursuing. Outstanding motor, though. Never stops pursuing.

Tackling-2-Fills the hole and shows very good technique as a face-up tackler. Plays with reckless abandon and winds up leaving his feet (or lunging out of control) too often. Slow to redirect when he overruns a play. Short arms don't help in this area, either. But generally takes good angles, shows pop at the point of attack, and he works drive legs through contact. Does an exceptional job of punching/ripping at the ball while wrapping the ball carrier up and bringing him to the ground. Finished 2nd in FBS history with 15 career forced fumbles.

When it comes to questioning the 49ers scouting department and coaches about positional talent, the last position I would question is linebacker.

Willis - home run
Bowman - home run
Smith - home run
Brooks - home run
Skuta - Moved him to OLB, performed at Parys Haralson's level. Great depth/spot starter.
Lemonier - should emerge as a rotational pass rusher and was pretty effective last year. 19 QB hurries I think?
Wilhoite - UDFA to solid special teams player and productive spot starter at ILB.

Does he lack prototypical size? Yes, but he makes up for it with exceptional technique and skill.

I'm pumped for this guy. Great pick, great player, great value.
Behind Wilhoite is untested Nick Moody...Borland is a fine player...rated #2 ILB on Walter Football's draft prospect list. For those who wanted Skov, he's not healthy. Borland's a better player anyway...check out his game, see him on film.

Marcus Martin played 2 yrs of OG at USC before switching to C. In addition we already have Joe Looney, Jonathan Martin, Ryan Seymour who can all play OG...and someone's complaining about Baalke not getting Gabe Jackson?
  • evil
  • Veteran
High character, hard working blue collar guy. If Harbaugh danced atop a table in the war room it was for Tool Time.
LOL at guys questioning this pic. This kid will be a fan favorite by the end of the season based on his ST play alone. Not to mention he steps in day one and solidifies the #3 ILB position.

This place is nuts.
I didn't know of him, but was doubtful because i was thinking ILB later on in the draft. Looking at his highlights... man he looks really, really tough. Perfect for ILB and special teams.
Originally posted by tondiman:
This is why. Dude can tackle. Daaaaaaaaaamn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCbBmcxmFHY

Sucks that the first 2 highlights are of our 2nd round 235 lb RB getting stuffed at the goal-line.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by tondiman:
This is why. Dude can tackle. Daaaaaaaaaamn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCbBmcxmFHY

Sucks that the first 2 highlights are of our 2nd round 235 lb RB getting stuffed at the goal-line.

I know, does that speak more of Borland, or less of Hyde?
lets revisit this thread at the end the year. this kid will SHINE in this defense with this coaching staff behind him and will be a fan favorite FAST.

very frustrating reading some of these stupid draft grades given to baalke on this forum. bunch of people basing their grade on youtube highlights and nfl draft profiles. smfh. chris borland is a flat out football player.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 9, 2014 at 10:12 PM ]
Evaluating LB's is one of our strengths, so the FO thinks Borland's game will translate well in the NFL, despite his short arms and compact frame. I hope they're right because I'm still sour on this pick, and that's after rosterbaiting to his youtube videos for 20 minutes.

I can't see him ever being on Willis or Bowman's level and I wonder if he was a reach with the 13th pick in the 3rd. I see him contributing on special teams but not beating out Wilhoite as Bowman's backup. To sum up my overall skepticism, I'd say Borland has physical limitations, most notably his reach. But to be fair, I'll reserve judgement until he gets on the field.

Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Evaluating LB's is one of our strengths, so the FO thinks Borland's game will translate well in the NFL, despite his short arms and compact frame. I hope they're right because I'm still sour on this pick, and that's after rosterbaiting to his youtube videos for 20 minutes.

I can't see him ever being on Willis or Bowman's level and I wonder if he was a reach with the 13th pick in the 3rd. I see him contributing on special teams but not beating out Wilhoite as Bowman's backup. To sum up my overall skepticism, I'd say Borland has physical limitations, most notably his reach. But to be fair, I'll reserve judgement until he gets on the field.

You have never seen him play. LOL. He's a destroyer out there. The most instinctive guy on the field.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:

You have never seen him play. LOL. He's a destroyer out there. The most instinctive guy on the field.

Do not get me horny. This kid is a stud. Sure he's not big he's small short arms, like Trex, than again Trex is considered the most dangerous predator ever. This kid is compact sure, which means he plays with leverage, and has a strong lower and upper body you can tell that when he makes tackles. I like it.

You say we could take a wr to groom, we have Boldin, Crabtree, Brandon Lloyd, Johnson, that's four guys with 1000 yard seasons. We have Baldwin who's only 24 still freaking young, and patton who's 23, plus we have 5 more guys at wr on the roster, how many wr's do you think we can carry... Heck will carry 5 running backs not including tuff, and miller at Fb, that's if none are traded. We are kind of going to have a bunch of tough choices to make come cuts.
Originally posted by cory4903:
We could have taken G Gabe Jackson and really made our OL a beast with the addition of him and Marcus Martin. We could have drafted a WR with some speed to develop. We could have added a CB like Desir. There were other ILB's available late 3rd and 4th rd we could add for depth.

This is the 1 pick I don't get.

Are you speaking about the same Desir that is still available at the beginning of round 4?

Yes, and the Phillip Gaines, Gabe Jackson, Donte Moncreif that are gone. I would have preferred Gaines at CB or Moncreif at WR. Every player we have drafted so far not only adds depth but projects as a very possible starter except Borland. The NFL site lists him as short, slow and with T-REX arms and not good in coverage. He will be good depth and can play special teams but there were other players that could be future starters still on the board at positions of need and plenty of picks in the 4th rd and beyond to add depth and special teams contributors. JMO
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Behind Wilhoite is untested Nick Moody...Borland is a fine player...rated #2 ILB on Walter Football's draft prospect list. For those who wanted Skov, he's not healthy. Borland's a better player anyway...check out his game, see him on film.

Marcus Martin played 2 yrs of OG at USC before switching to C. In addition we already have Joe Looney, Jonathan Martin, Ryan Seymour who can all play OG...and someone's complaining about Baalke not getting Gabe Jackson?

We have players who can play Center yet we drafted Marcus Martin. We have players who can play Guard but are they as good as Jackson? ( not counting Iupati)

I doubt Borland will be a bust but both Willis and Bowman are great in coverage and have sideline to sideline speed. Borland is listed as being short and slow and not good in coverage. Anything is possible but I am not sold on him being the heir apparent to Willis down the road. There were CB's and WR's that could not only add depth but could become starters still on the board and a player like Jackson who could replace Iupati if we can't resign him or possibly start opposite him if we do.

He's not a terrible player. Just thought there were better options on the board. Moncreif, Gaines, Jackson ect.

I must have read 50 mock drafts on this site this year. I think you even had one. I don't recall seeing a single mock that didn't have us drafting a receiver through the 1st 3 rounds do you?
We have players who can play Center yet we drafted Marcus Martin.

we really only had one center.
Share 49ersWebzone