There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Chris Borland?

man i love this pick
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Somebody just please ease my concerns and tell me this guys isn't Scott McKillop Part 2. McKillop was supposed to be a good tackling LB though a little undersized and not the quickest at his position. Does Borland even make this team? I've been really on board with every pick until this one - I mean this was a third round pick with a lot of talent out there left to choose from.

McKillop was a late round pick. Borland was the 2nd highest rated ILB in this entire draft behind Mosley. Tremendous instincts, very polished, pure football player, you'll love him.

Read the NFL scouting report on him on the NFL site. He is described as being short and slow with T-REX arms. Maybe a good depth player but not a projeted starter and with so many players on the board who could not only add depth but could project don the road as starters I believe we should have passed and considered him in the 4th rd. the NFL projected him as a 4th-5th rd pick.

There were players I could have seen us taking at #61 in the 2nd rd on the board like G Gabe Jackson, CB's Gaines and Desir or a WR like Donte Moncreif. We need young talented WR's to develop. I am tired of our receiving core being made up of mostly guys nearing retirement.

Just think there were better options than Borland. Would have been ok with him in the 4th rd.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
We could have taken G Gabe Jackson and really made our OL a beast with the addition of him and Marcus Martin. We could have drafted a WR with some speed to develop. We could have added a CB like Desir. There were other ILB's available late 3rd and 4th rd we could add for depth.

This is the 1 pick I don't get.


Are you speaking about the same Desir that is still available at the beginning of round 4?
Very solid draft
Love it
Good value at every pick
Good job
We'll get a receiver tomorrow and another cb
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Read the NFL scouting report on him on the NFL site. He is described as being short and slow with T-REX arms. Maybe a good depth player but not a projeted starter and with so many players on the board who could not only add depth but could project don the road as starters I believe we should have passed and considered him in the 4th rd. the NFL projected him as a 4th-5th rd pick.

There were players I could have seen us taking at #61 in the 2nd rd on the board like G Gabe Jackson, CB's Gaines and Desir or a WR like Donte Moncreif. We need young talented WR's to develop. I am tired of our receiving core being made up of mostly guys nearing retirement.

Just think there were better options than Borland. Would have been ok with him in the 4th rd.


That's your first mistake. Those reports are done by Nawrocki and he manages to be incredibly negative, far more so than warranted about various prospects he simply doesn't like. Don't take his "scouting reports" to heart and you will be happier for it.


Here's a report from Scouting Inc on Borland.



Intangibles-1-Leader. Hard worker on and off the field. Defensive tone setter. Parents are Jeff and Zebbie Borland.

1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal


Inside Linebacker Specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition-1-Zach Thomas is obvious comparison due to height, but also similar in reaction skills and natural instincts vs. run, as blitzer and in coverage. Reads keys and rarely takes false steps. Above average job recognizing play action and sniffing out screens/draws. Has a nose for the ball and knows the angles. Playmaker and finisher.


Take-on Skills-2-Downhill run stopper that explodes into lead blockers and flashes ability to lift them off feet. Backs down from no challenge. Uses proper shoulder when taking on. Has very good initial striking ability to jolt blockers, and is quick enough to disengage/pursue before blocker regains balance. Short arms are only a factor when he fails to establish good positioning and/or allows blockers to lock out in phone booth. Struggles at times to keep blockers off of frame, especially taller, longer blockers that prevent him from making clean contact by locking out.

Range vs. Run-2-Plays fast. Diagnoses quickly, shows very good lateral agility to scrape down the line while keeping shoulders square. Shows a quick initial burst when turning to target, and also has very good closing speed on the field. Lacks good change-of-direction skills, so will be slow to redirect when caught over-pursuing. Outstanding motor, though. Never stops pursuing.


Tackling-2-Fills the hole and shows very good technique as a face-up tackler. Plays with reckless abandon and winds up leaving his feet (or lunging out of control) too often. Slow to redirect when he overruns a play. Short arms don't help in this area, either. But generally takes good angles, shows pop at the point of attack, and he works drive legs through contact. Does an exceptional job of punching/ripping at the ball while wrapping the ball carrier up and bringing him to the ground. Finished 2nd in FBS history with 15 career forced fumbles.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Read the NFL scouting report on him on the NFL site. He is described as being short and slow with T-REX arms. Maybe a good depth player but not a projeted starter and with so many players on the board who could not only add depth but could project don the road as starters I believe we should have passed and considered him in the 4th rd. the NFL projected him as a 4th-5th rd pick.

There were players I could have seen us taking at #61 in the 2nd rd on the board like G Gabe Jackson, CB's Gaines and Desir or a WR like Donte Moncreif. We need young talented WR's to develop. I am tired of our receiving core being made up of mostly guys nearing retirement.

Just think there were better options than Borland. Would have been ok with him in the 4th rd.


That's your first mistake. Those reports are done by Nawrocki and he manages to be incredibly negative, far more so than warranted about various prospects he simply doesn't like. Don't take his "scouting reports" to heart and you will be happier for it.


Here's a report from Scouting Inc on Borland.



Intangibles-1-Leader. Hard worker on and off the field. Defensive tone setter. Parents are Jeff and Zebbie Borland.

1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal


Inside Linebacker Specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition-1-Zach Thomas is obvious comparison due to height, but also similar in reaction skills and natural instincts vs. run, as blitzer and in coverage. Reads keys and rarely takes false steps. Above average job recognizing play action and sniffing out screens/draws. Has a nose for the ball and knows the angles. Playmaker and finisher.


Take-on Skills-2-Downhill run stopper that explodes into lead blockers and flashes ability to lift them off feet. Backs down from no challenge. Uses proper shoulder when taking on. Has very good initial striking ability to jolt blockers, and is quick enough to disengage/pursue before blocker regains balance. Short arms are only a factor when he fails to establish good positioning and/or allows blockers to lock out in phone booth. Struggles at times to keep blockers off of frame, especially taller, longer blockers that prevent him from making clean contact by locking out.

Range vs. Run-2-Plays fast. Diagnoses quickly, shows very good lateral agility to scrape down the line while keeping shoulders square. Shows a quick initial burst when turning to target, and also has very good closing speed on the field. Lacks good change-of-direction skills, so will be slow to redirect when caught over-pursuing. Outstanding motor, though. Never stops pursuing.


Tackling-2-Fills the hole and shows very good technique as a face-up tackler. Plays with reckless abandon and winds up leaving his feet (or lunging out of control) too often. Slow to redirect when he overruns a play. Short arms don't help in this area, either. But generally takes good angles, shows pop at the point of attack, and he works drive legs through contact. Does an exceptional job of punching/ripping at the ball while wrapping the ball carrier up and bringing him to the ground. Finished 2nd in FBS history with 15 career forced fumbles.
Looks alright, I wanted Skov tho.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
We could have taken G Gabe Jackson and really made our OL a beast with the addition of him and Marcus Martin. We could have drafted a WR with some speed to develop. We could have added a CB like Desir. There were other ILB's available late 3rd and 4th rd we could add for depth.

This is the 1 pick I don't get.


We gotter BETTER guard for 2015. He was the top rated player on the All ACL team.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

But would your really want to shoot through a hole and meet him head up? Didn't think so.
We go Desir and Bryant in the 4th and people can stop their b***hin. This is a developmental type guy with great special teams potential.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Somebody just please ease my concerns and tell me this guys isn't Scott McKillop Part 2. McKillop was supposed to be a good tackling LB though a little undersized and not the quickest at his position. Does Borland even make this team? I've been really on board with every pick until this one - I mean this was a third round pick with a lot of talent out there left to choose from.

McKillop was a late round pick. Borland was the 2nd highest rated ILB in this entire draft behind Mosley. Tremendous instincts, very polished, pure football player, you'll love him.

Thank you. Feeling better already. Plus, I always will trust the front office - you can just tell the way they run the draft they have a good plan set in place.
Gary Plumber 2.0
Originally posted by martysofresh:


I didn't like the pick at first because I didn't know who he was but after watching his highlights, I realized I knew him just not his name. The guy is a baller and should provide great depth for us and only get better playing with Pat and Bow. Im excited. Kinda guy we put in on the goal, has a nose for the ball and great insticts, looks real old school

As a coach, he is everything you want in a player. He's a football "fire and forget it" missile. You put him on the field, he finds the ball and kills whomever has it.

And besides, one never f#$%s with a Badger!
I like the pick but not in the third, as I thought we should have taken Gaines at this spot. Would have liked to see this pick in the fourth but may have not been available.

Does picking Borland this early indicate NB's health timetable?
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
This guy is Zach Thomas 2.0.

Riki Ellison

Hacksaw

Mike Walter