There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers Penchant for Slow WR's

Slowest 1,000-yard receivers over the past five seasons:

1. Anquan Boldin: 4.72*2. Hakeem Nicks: 4.633. Brandon Lloyd: 4.62*4. Kendall Wright: 4.615 (tie). Steve Johnson: 4.58*5 (tie). Brian Hartline: 4.58

What does all this mean?

While 40-yard dash times are only an indication of a player's straight-line speed, and disregards other important variables that ultimately determine a player's success, the data indicates that receivers who had top-end NFL production ran good 40-yard dash times. Only eight of the 30 1,000-yard receivers who participated in combine drills failed to run the 40-yard dash in less than 4.55 seconds, while 14 ran sub-4.5 second times.


Here's the link: http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2014/02/do-fast-40-yard-dash-times-lead-wide-receivers-to-nfl-success/
Yawn. The only time a players' 40-time means anything is when he's behind the defense. And good defenses can easily account for speed.

Vernon Davis is neutralized virtually every time we play Seattle and it's certainly not because he's too slow. Conversely, no one gives a s**t that Tavon Austin can run like The Flash because otherwise he's just barely a mediocre WR.

Some of you guys are way too far gone speed. Guys are taken at the top of the draft every year based on want the stopwatch says yet few ever end up making an impact.

That is not a coincidence.
But we have 3 1,000 yard receivers? Do you want production or just a home run threat? Most of the 1,000 yard guys, most productive NFL guys are not just speed guys...I don't think that you're proving your initial point.
Originally posted by cptn12am:
Slowest 1,000-yard receivers over the past five seasons:

1. Anquan Boldin: 4.72*2. Hakeem Nicks: 4.633. Brandon Lloyd: 4.62*4. Kendall Wright: 4.615 (tie). Steve Johnson: 4.58*5 (tie). Brian Hartline: 4.58

What does all this mean?

While 40-yard dash times are only an indication of a player's straight-line speed, and disregards other important variables that ultimately determine a player's success, the data indicates that receivers who had top-end NFL production ran good 40-yard dash times. Only eight of the 30 1,000-yard receivers who participated in combine drills failed to run the 40-yard dash in less than 4.55 seconds, while 14 ran sub-4.5 second times.


Here's the link: http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2014/02/do-fast-40-yard-dash-times-lead-wide-receivers-to-nfl-success/


You act like 40 times mean jack s**t when it comes to the grand scheme of things. Joe Haden ran a 4.59, he's done alright for himself. Football speed is more important than how fast you run in your underwear.



I want a vertical threat at receiver, a true burner as much as anyone here, if not more, but you're nuts if you think this was a bad move. This allows the 49ers to be a lot more physical on offense, you add a guy who can create separation, gets open frequently, can beat press coverage, can block, has the right size and build and has been incredibly productive when healthy, all while receiving the football from a potato QB.


This makes the 49ers offense a lot more dangerous now. How many defense's will be able to shutdown Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson and V.D. when they are all on the field together? Good luck with that.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 9, 2014 at 2:50 PM ]
I agree with the premise of this thread.

We should trade Stevie for AJ immediately.
Originally posted by cptn12am:
The window for Kaepernick to complete a pass to a WR is smaller than any other QB's window in the NFL. He constantly has to fit a ball in to a wide receiver who is blanketed by coverage. The reason is that 49er WRs are the slowest in the entire league on average and Stevie Johnson probably makes them even slower. Now they hardly even have roster space for anybody who can stretch the field. What does the GM have against speed? Speed at wideout makes safeties play a few yards further back and opens up routes and running lanes. Their passing offense was 30th last year. This is still a passing league and their current philosophy isn't working. If they had even an average passing game -- they might be on "Quest for Nine" instead of finished second in their own division.


Go back to .Nut
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I agree with the premise of this thread.

We should trade Stevie for AJ immediately.

The Kansas City Chiefs are most certainly down with that!
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
This is one of the dumbest threads I've ever seen. We just got a 3-time 1,000-yard WR in his prime, and for a conditional 2015 4th rounder no less.

Stevie Johnson is known for creating terrific separation. Kap will have huge windows to throw into when targeting Stevie.

this! and he's def a vertical threat, don't understand wtf the OP is even thinking here.
People need to STFU about 40 yard dash
We're not the f**king raiders
Rename thread 'Seahawk fan's penchant for trolling"
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:


fast enough to beat sherman


YES!!!, and currently the last 49er WR to beat Sherman too!!
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Rename thread 'Seahawk fan's penchant for trolling"

Seriously. How is this guy not banned yet?
Dips his right shoulder at around the 11-12, Sherman thinks he's going inside and bites (tries to reach out and grab him, obviously) which he probably shouldn't since there is safety help there...goes back outside and ruins him. Nice and subtle.
Originally posted by cptn12am:
The window for Kaepernick to complete a pass to a WR is smaller than any other QB's window in the NFL. He constantly has to fit a ball in to a wide receiver who is blanketed by coverage. The reason is that 49er WRs are the slowest in the entire league on average and Stevie Johnson probably makes them even slower. Now they hardly even have roster space for anybody who can stretch the field. What does the GM have against speed? Speed at wideout makes safeties play a few yards further back and opens up routes and running lanes. Their passing offense was 30th last year. This is still a passing league and their current philosophy isn't working. If they had even an average passing game -- they might be on "Quest for Nine" instead of finished second in their own division.







those were my progressions as i read through this
cause all top WRs run 4.3