LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

49ers Penchant for Slow WR's

The window for Kaepernick to complete a pass to a WR is smaller than any other QB's window in the NFL. He constantly has to fit a ball in to a wide receiver who is blanketed by coverage. The reason is that 49er WRs are the slowest in the entire league on average and Stevie Johnson probably makes them even slower. Now they hardly even have roster space for anybody who can stretch the field. What does the GM have against speed? Speed at wideout makes safeties play a few yards further back and opens up routes and running lanes. Their passing offense was 30th last year. This is still a passing league and their current philosophy isn't working. If they had even an average passing game -- they might be on "Quest for Nine" instead of finished second in their own division.
Originally posted by cptn12am:
The window for Kaepernick to complete a pass to a WR is smaller than any other QB's window in the NFL. He constantly has to fit a ball in to a wide receiver who is blanketed by coverage. The reason is that 49er WRs are the slowest in the entire league on average and Stevie Johnson probably makes them even slower. Now they hardly even have roster space for anybody who can stretch the field. What does the GM have against speed? Speed at wideout makes safeties play a few yards further back and opens up routes and running lanes. Their passing offense was 30th last year. This is still a passing league and their current philosophy isn't working. If they had even an average passing game -- they might be on "Quest for Nine" instead of finished second in their own division.

Slower? Johnson is actually pretty fast, not a burner type but plays faster than his timed speed. He's a nice value addition, a tough, physical receiver who creates separation, can fight off press coverage and is outstanding as a #3 WR. There's no guarantee that the 49ers don't go and draft a vertical threat either.
Take this negative nelly s**t on today. They just got a good wr for a 4th rounder and the guy gets open on deep routes quite well.
The Bears have a couple of 4.5 guys on their roster who both made the Pro Bowl. There are only a few true burners like DJax and Wallace in the league. Other guys manage to create separation through means other than pure speed. Some of the top deep threats like Josh Gordon aren't just burners. I think we do have the need for some players with explosive speed but I don't think you need that in order to be successful. I think safeties have to respect Davis, Crabtree, Boldin and now Johnson when they're out there. I mean VD was one of the top guys in terms of yards per reception last season, when we send him deep it does open up a lot underneath for our wideouts.

fast enough to beat sherman
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 9, 2014 at 2:26 PM ]
beat you phoenix!
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
beat you phoenix!

Clock says we tied.

• Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:

!
We restructured jon baldwin's deal and reduced his cost by about 50% and this is his last year so there's room on the roster
I don't think Johnson makes us slower. I think it makes us more dangerous, more diverse, and more flexible in the draft. Great pick up.
This is one of the dumbest threads I've ever seen. We just got a 3-time 1,000-yard WR in his prime, and for a conditional 2015 4th rounder no less.

Stevie Johnson is known for creating terrific separation. Kap will have huge windows to throw into when targeting Stevie.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on May 9, 2014 at 2:36 PM ]
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
The word that should be applied to him is crafty. Let's go get Landry, call it good on WR, and f**king draft some slobberknockers!
Share 49ersWebzone