There are 186 users in the forums

Carlos Hyde

Originally posted by ethan:
Hyde was probably the team's only "sexy" pick. He plays a high profile position (though not highly valued these days). Running back handles the ball more than anyone except the quarterback. Plus he is an upbeat, charismatic, personality. Worth it on that basis alone, particularly since it was an extra draft pick from the Alex Smith deal. Also the pick manipulation enabled Baalke to offset the cost of Stevie Johnson. Johnson is pretty colorful, charismatic player as well. To get those two characters as half the cost of what would have been the team's backup quarterback is pure gravy.

I trust in Baalke & I'm okay with the pick. But it was a little tough for me to accept that we went RB in 2nd round again with the depth we already have.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
dude runs soft. 4th and 1, he better not get it.
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by ethan:
Hyde was probably the team's only "sexy" pick. He plays a high profile position (though not highly valued these days). Running back handles the ball more than anyone except the quarterback. Plus he is an upbeat, charismatic, personality. Worth it on that basis alone, particularly since it was an extra draft pick from the Alex Smith deal. Also the pick manipulation enabled Baalke to offset the cost of Stevie Johnson. Johnson is pretty colorful, charismatic player as well. To get those two characters as half the cost of what would have been the team's backup quarterback is pure gravy.

I trust in Baalke & I'm okay with the pick. But it was a little tough for me to accept that we went RB in 2nd round again with the depth we already have.

Depth? Gore likely playing his last year in a Niners uniform being the last year of his current contract. Hunter still questionable in his return from injury. Lattimore still questionable in his return from injury. James a whiny little b***h you wants his accolades handed to him rather than working to earn them and can't pass protect worth a s**t.

Not sure what depth you speak of.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Depth? Gore likely playing his last year in a Niners uniform being the last year of his current contract. Hunter still questionable in his return from injury. Lattimore still questionable in his return from injury. James a whiny little b***h you wants his accolades handed to him rather than working to earn them and can't pass protect worth a s**t.

Hunter's injury was 2 years ago. He did fine last year. The only position that you could realistically make a case for being deeper was WR (after the Stevie Johnson trade and even then we were missing speed), so if the RB position lacked depth before the draft than the entire roster was shallow.
Originally posted by WINiner:

Hunter's injury was 2 years ago. He did fine last year. The only position that you could realistically make a case for being deeper was WR (after the Stevie Johnson trade and even then we were missing speed), so if the RB position lacked depth before the draft than the entire roster was shallow.

I disagree with your opinion on Hunter, and I disagree with your take on our depth. The coaches and GM apparently agree with me on the later.

You do realize that with the Johnson trade we have 3 1k WR's now? Whereas Hyde and Latti haven't played a down. LMJ and Hunter are not #1s and they really don't fit into the scheme. This draft was about solidifying the interior, finding another powerback, and the secondary. LMJ and Hunter are not the answer and it's not hard to see that. Ofcourse we still have Gore but we don't have the money to extend him to #1 money for another 3 years and to be honest he doesn't have another 3 years. The fact is we have Lattimore and Hyde in the pipeline to take the #1 spot. The running game being such a valuable piece to the offense means you have to hit otherwise you have to extend Gore into #1 money for a couple of years or find someone on the FA market. There's a good chance one of those guys are going to perform if not improves the offense and they're going to playing on a rookie contract. Smart business to exchange a 6mil salary with a rookie contract when you have to sign a #1 receiver or extend a guard.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jun 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM ]
So you guys actually believe RB was a bigger need than any other position at that point? I didn't say it was a retarded waste of a pick, I said it was tough to accept we went RB in the 2nd over any other position.
Why is it so hard to believe. In our scheme having a reliable back that can do it all (pass protect etc) is huge. If Gore went down for any reason hunter is not an every down back (I do like him though), f**k LMJ, and are we really going to put all our chips down on Lattimore who's coming off one of the most gruesome injuries I've seen? Depth? Pshh
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Why is it so hard to believe. In our scheme having a reliable back that can do it all (pass protect etc) is huge. If Gore went down for any reason hunter is not an every down back (I do like him though), f**k LMJ, and are we really going to put all our chips down on Lattimore who's coming off one of the most gruesome injuries I've seen? Depth? Pshh

LOL, okay. You could play the injury game with almost any position on this team. This conversation isn't going anywhere.
whenever people say "i trust baalke"... thats what i said to my dad the second we drafted Jenkins...

Haven't verbally said it sense :/

So you guys actually believe RB was a bigger need than any other position at that point? I didn't say it was a retarded waste of a pick, I said it was tough to accept we went RB in the 2nd over any other position.earky

I wasn't saying RB was the biggest need. Clearly CB was the biggest need and we drafted 4 of them. All I'm saying is a case could be made for RB in the 2nd. A case could be made for a WR but honestly RB was a bigger need.

LMJ was a bust. Hunter and Gore have expiring contracts. Next year there's a good chance we only have latti and Hyde under contract at the position but Im not worried one bit that with a year worth of experience those two will be a tandem. Hyde is already drawing tons of praise. I'm going to put myself out there and say that I think we hit. More to the point we upgraded. Maybe not this year but with Hyde, Martin, and Thomas in the pipeline Baalke has put the team in a great position to continue succeeding in a area where were losing starters( gore, goodwin, iupati, hunter, boone?)
I loved the pick. I did not expect a RB that early, but Hyde was BPA.

I had him ranked #1 in the RB class.

I love me some Lattimore, but he still has a lot of hurdles to overcome. Hunter will be gone when his contract is up, same with LMJ, and it may be Gores last season, unless they work out a short term extension for a low salary.

Personally i think Hyde is the real deal and will be our Future bell cow. I have said it before and ill say it again, his skill set and running style remind me of a young Emmitt Smith so much its uncanny. I think he is legit.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I wasn't saying RB was the biggest need. Clearly CB was the biggest need and we drafted 4 of them. All I'm saying is a case could be made for RB in the 2nd. A case could be made for a WR but honestly RB was a bigger need.

LMJ was a bust. Hunter and Gore have expiring contracts. Next year there's a good chance we only have latti and Hyde under contract at the position but Im not worried one bit that with a year worth of experience those two will be a tandem. Hyde is already drawing tons of praise. I'm going to put myself out there and say that I think we hit. More to the point we upgraded. Maybe not this year but with Hyde, Martin, and Thomas in the pipeline Baalke has put the team in a great position to continue succeeding in a area where were losing starters( gore, goodwin, iupati, hunter, boone?)

LMJ was a bust?
Thats news to me

I'm betting we keep Hunter, as a change of pace back or as a starting back (wouldn't be ideal)
I'm also thinking we keep Boone
Originally posted by Quest4six:
LMJ was a bust?
Thats news to me

I'm betting we keep Hunter, as a change of pace back or as a starting back (wouldn't be ideal)

He wasn't drafted as a returner his rookie contract.

I don't think they keep Hunter. I don't see the FO paying him anywhere over 5 mil for 4yrs and he's going to get at least twice that. That's fine though because they're going to be saving money for contracts like Boone.

Meanwhile we have a full stable of backs and with a season under his belt Hyde will be transformed into the bell cow and Lattimore will be the change of pace.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
LMJ was a bust?
Thats news to me

Hunter is not coming back after his contract is up. Depending on how the rest of the offseason goes, he may not even be on the roster come week one this season.

If he was in long term plans we would not have drafted three running backs over the last three years.
Share 49ersWebzone