Carlos Hyde

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Is the baby ok?

Reportedly the baby was wearing a ProCap so all is well.

lol, I was so embarrassed when Wallace would wear that stupid helmet, I caught so much s**t on Sundays....

Why did you catch heat...did you have a helmet too
lol
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
hyde needs to lose 10 lbs of fat and gain 5 lbs of muscle.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Uh, yeah - he did. And badly. One of the most over rated players in the history of the NFL.

Ohhh, boy... There are a lot of outstanding players who aren't quite HOF worthy. Eddie George was an outstanding player who got the ball a lot BECAUSE he was such a good player and they wanted to utilize the best weapon on their team. HOF worthy? Probably not, but still a terrific player.

The statement "Eddie George sucked" is laughably false and I am surprised anyone honestly would think that.

Eddie George was serviceable, not even close to great and in my humble opinion, highly overrated by some in this thread. His ONLY outstanding quality was he hardly ever got hurt. He even had a great offensive line for most, if not all, of his career.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Uh, yeah - he did. And badly. One of the most over rated players in the history of the NFL.

Ohhh, boy... There are a lot of outstanding players who aren't quite HOF worthy. Eddie George was an outstanding player who got the ball a lot BECAUSE he was such a good player and they wanted to utilize the best weapon on their team. HOF worthy? Probably not, but still a terrific player.

The statement "Eddie George sucked" is laughably false and I am surprised anyone honestly would think that.

Eddie George was serviceable, not even close to great and in my humble opinion, highly overrated by some in this thread. His ONLY outstanding quality was he hardly ever got hurt. He even had a great offensive line for most, if not all, of his career.
His career went down hill after the Madden Curse got him.
Originally posted by xcfan:

That's true of most college players.
Originally posted by Geeked:

Eddie George was a top back in the NFL. I just have a hard time calling a player "overrated" when he so consistently produced and made plays for his team despite what the opposition knew was coming all the time. No one writes off Emmitt because he played behind perennial all-pros. George is not a HOF player, but he was a very good one. And I'll use Frank Gore as the comparison here.

* Eddie George was a 4-time Pro Bowler
* He was voted to an All-Pro team
* He had 5 consecutive 1200+ yard seasons (something Gore has not done), and 7 seasons of 1000+ yards out of his 9 seasons as a pro.
* In 9 seasons he totaled 78 touchdowns, which is also more than Frank Gore (70) in the same time span.
* He had 12+ rushing touchdowns twice in his career, something Frank Gore has never done.

As much as I love Frank, I don't think he is quite HOF worthy, but like Eddie, there's no doubt he's been an elite back. Having watched a lot of Eddie George over the years, his level of play most definitely matched the production he put up. I think the only way one could be considered "overrating him" is if they said he should be in the HOF.
Anyone worried that Hyde may follow suit with previous OSU RB's that were similar in skillset (i.e. Clarrett, Wells, etc). I love the pick, but will admit it has crossed my mind. People compared him to Lacy, but Lacy appeared so much faster and more powerful in college. Would love some insight from those familiar with Hydes game.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Jun 3, 2014 at 5:48 PM ]
Originally posted by xcfan:

I remember when people said that last year.. of Eddie Lacy.
Originally posted by Geeked:

Eddie George was a top back in the NFL. I just have a hard time calling a player "overrated" when he so consistently produced and made plays for his team despite what the opposition knew was coming all the time. No one writes off Emmitt because he played behind perennial all-pros. George is not a HOF player, but he was a very good one. And I'll use Frank Gore as the comparison here.

* Eddie George was a 4-time Pro Bowler
* He was voted to an All-Pro team
* He had 5 consecutive 1200+ yard seasons (something Gore has not done), and 7 seasons of 1000+ yards out of his 9 seasons as a pro.
* In 9 seasons he totaled 78 touchdowns, which is also more than Frank Gore (70) in the same time span.
* He had 12+ rushing touchdowns twice in his career, something Frank Gore has never done.

As much as I love Frank, I don't think he is quite HOF worthy, but like Eddie, there's no doubt he's been an elite back. Having watched a lot of Eddie George over the years, his level of play most definitely matched the production he put up. I think the only way one could be considered "overrating him" is if they said he should be in the HOF.

Having seen both of them play, Frank Gore is the better running back. Frank was on worse teams for most of his career, and Eddie in his prime was never as explosive. Eddie was a serviceable back who had great durability and an excellent offensive line. He didn't suck at all, but to call him anything other than a serviceable NFL starter is pushing it.
"serviceable" is a little too little ... a "serviceable" player you are looking to replace every year. George made multiple pro-bowls ... that's better than average and "average" is better than "serviceable".

Great? No.
Good? Sure.
Suck? No way, not at all.
[ Edited by Scoots on Jun 4, 2014 at 2:47 PM ]

Why isn't this in Ninertalk? Dude's one of us!
Having seen both of them play, Frank Gore is the better running back. Frank was on worse teams for most of his career, and Eddie in his prime was never as explosive. Eddie was a serviceable back who had great durability and an excellent offensive line. He didn't suck at all, but to call him anything other than a serviceable NFL starter is pushing it.
Eddie George was a very good running back and he had a fine career
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Eddie George was a very good running back and he had a fine career

Agree. Good but not outstanding.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
so......Carlos Hyde?
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Hyde was probably the team's only "sexy" pick. He plays a high profile position (though not highly valued these days). Running back handles the ball more than anyone except the quarterback. Plus he is an upbeat, charismatic, personality. Worth it on that basis alone, particularly since it was an extra draft pick from the Alex Smith deal. Also the pick manipulation enabled Baalke to offset the cost of Stevie Johnson. Johnson is pretty colorful, charismatic player as well. To get those two characters as half the cost of what would have been the team's backup quarterback is pure gravy.
Share 49ersWebzone