LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

Carlos Hyde

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Um...what?

Did you ever see him play? He was one of the slowest backs I've ever seem, so no threat to break a long run. For a "power back", he was horrible at breaking tackles. He only averaged 4 yards a carry once, maybe twice, in his career. He usually averaged in the low to mid 3 yards, and wasn't even effective moving the chains. The only thing that was impressive about him, is the fact he took all these hits but avoided any major injuries. I don't remember him missing any games. But the other side of that is, he took those hits because he was 6'3 and played like it. He never learned to get low, had no wiggle to avoid tackles.

The only reason he got to 10,000 yards was his lack of injury, and Jeff Fisher's lack of a creative offense that would do very little but hand the ball to George.
Originally posted by TheRambler:
Absolutely love this guy. Best RB in this draft and will be a stud in the NFL. Very similar to Eddie George.

But I will punch a baby if the Niners draft him in the 2nd.

Is the baby ok?
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Is the baby ok?

Reportedly the baby was wearing a ProCap so all is well.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Is the baby ok?

lol, I was so embarrassed when Wallace would wear that stupid helmet, I caught so much s**t on Sundays....
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Um...what?

Did you ever see him play? He was one of the slowest backs I've ever seem, so no threat to break a long run. For a "power back", he was horrible at breaking tackles. He only averaged 4 yards a carry once, maybe twice, in his career. He usually averaged in the low to mid 3 yards, and wasn't even effective moving the chains. The only thing that was impressive about him, is the fact he took all these hits but avoided any major injuries. I don't remember him missing any games. But the other side of that is, he took those hits because he was 6'3 and played like it. He never learned to get low, had no wiggle to avoid tackles.

The only reason he got to 10,000 yards was his lack of injury, and Jeff Fisher's lack of a creative offense that would do very little but hand the ball to George.

We just have incredibly different interpretations of a player who sucks. His Y/A may not have been great, but the guy most certainly did not suck.
We just have incredibly different interpretations of a player who sucks. His Y/A may not have been great, but the guy most certainly did not suck.

Then besides his ability to not get injured, what about him made him "great"?

I pulled up some career numbers, and to put this in perspective: George's career low in carries (as a full-time starter) was 312. Frank Gore's career HIGH in carries (as a full-time starter) is the exact same 312. Gore managed a career high in yards that year with 1,695. George's best yardage was 1,509 - and it took him 403 carries to get that! The ONLY reason George was able to break 10,000 yards was the sheer number of carries he had. 2,865 carries in his career - that's what it took to break 10,000 - and a whopping 68 TD's to go along with it.

Despite his number of carries, he never lead the league in rushing. For being the focus of the offense, he didn't score very much. He was just not effective in any facet of the game. He "carried" his team to a whopping 4 winning seasons. And the year they went deep into the playoffs and actually made it to the Super Bowl - was the year Steve McNair was Co-MVP.

So like I said, one of the most over-rated players in NFL history. I giggle every time his name comes up in Hall Of Fame talks, then fades away again.

I pulled up some career numbers, and to put this in perspective: George's career low in carries (as a full-time starter) was 312. Frank Gore's career HIGH in carries (as a full-time starter) is the exact same 312. Gore managed a career high in yards that year with 1,695. George's best yardage was 1,509 - and it took him 403 carries to get that! The ONLY reason George was able to break 10,000 yards was the sheer number of carries he had. 2,865 carries in his career - that's what it took to break 10,000 - and a whopping 68 TD's to go along with it.

Despite his number of carries, he never lead the league in rushing. For being the focus of the offense, he didn't score very much. He was just not effective in any facet of the game. He "carried" his team to a whopping 4 winning seasons. And the year they went deep into the playoffs and actually made it to the Super Bowl - was the year Steve McNair was Co-MVP.

So like I said, one of the most over-rated players in NFL history. I giggle every time his name comes up in Hall Of Fame talks, then fades away again.

If you're a 10000 yard career RB you've done something. It's an impressive feat. Don't diminish that. It is easy for us to talk online but now 10k is tough to do

It's a LOOOOOONG way from saying he doesn't suck to saying he was "great" ... George absolutely didn't suck.

My grandpa always told me that when you're up to your neck in dirt with a shovel in your hand.....it's time to stop digging.
My grandpa told me that when the only tool you had was a hammer every problem looked like a nail. Eddie George for most of his career was the only tool his teams had.

Originally posted by CWin4949:
lol, I was so embarrassed when Wallace would wear that stupid helmet, I caught so much s**t on Sundays....

Wallace and Kelso of the Bills were the SMART ones ... they were mocked by fans and other players for wearing them ... those same players came back and sued the NFL for not doing more to protect their brains.
Originally posted by cortana49:
Uh, yeah - he did. And badly. One of the most over rated players in the history of the NFL.

Ohhh, boy... There are a lot of outstanding players who aren't quite HOF worthy. Eddie George was an outstanding player who got the ball a lot BECAUSE he was such a good player and they wanted to utilize the best weapon on their team. HOF worthy? Probably not, but still a terrific player.

The statement "Eddie George sucked" is laughably false and I am surprised anyone honestly would think that.
Is the baby ok?

Lol. I wanted Steve Young to wear one
Is the baby ok?

Why did you catch heat...did you have a helmet too
If Hyde gets 10k yards I'll be f**king ecstatic
Share 49ersWebzone