LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

Targets for the *next* round

Chris Davis? Obviously not today but he could be a target later this weekend. Had some pretty big returns if you watch college football.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 9, 2014 at 3:33 PM ]
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
Chris Davis?

Maybe in the 5th round.
Not sure where he is projected, but I would like to see us make a move for Carlos Hyde, RB from Ohio State.

Our strong RB group could look real weak if Lat doesnt pan out and/or Gore goes down. We need some insurance there IMO
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Just so I understand, you're saying Stevie Johnson is an "unknown" compared to Lee???

Yes, I'm saying a player that never played a down in the NFL is less "unknown" than Johnson. Excellent powers of deduction.

Maybe, and I know this is just a stretch, it would be smart to not only pick the best WR left on the board, but also reinforce the 3rd and 4th WR options.

Lloyd is a year removed. Johnson had a down year, he was traded over stab victim Mike Williams, and he's coming off multiple injuries from last year. Lee would be ready for #1 status when Boldins contract is up. Not to mention everyone seems 100% certain Crab is going to want a "monster" deal. Just saying Lee is a natural and he could help the WR position out of the woods.

BTW if you think were going to make it through the day without a WR pick you're vastly underestimating this FO. I guarantee they're not near as convinced as you are that the WR position is sealed up for the next couple of years. But hell maybe it's just me.

I like Lee, so this isn't about him at all. It's about your Stevie Johnson being an "unknown" statement. I'm not saying Johnson is HoF material in any way, but he's definitely a known quantity in the NFL. He was coming off 3 straight 1000 yard seasons going into 2013, where he battled injuries, personal situations and QBs by the names of EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel throwing to him.

Even with that, he led the Bills WRs in receiving yards (nearly 600) and tied for the team lead in TD receptions. So yes, that production is sub-par from previous seasons, but given those are numbers are team highs, it should tell you how poor the QB play was in Buffalo last year. I'm sure you realize that things just don't happen in a vacuum, so to say that he had a down year without any context isn't really giving the guy his just due. And more importantly, with a better QB throwing to him and more weapons around him, there's a good chance Johnson could have a huge impact on this team. He may not put up eye-popping numbers, but his contributions could be huge as a 2nd/3rd WR on this team.

Yeah, I can't stand Lee....vastly overrated and also seems soft....

That being said, had we not traded for Johnson, then I'd be perfectly fine moving up for him, even though I know he wouldn't even see the field and be forgotten on the bench.

But now, since we've added a true deep threat and a great WR that will compliment Boldin and Crabtree, you're talking about the 4th guy in depth trying to get on the field and that's if Vernon Davis is out of the game.

Just not a need anymore, especially when we need to add a quality OL, OLB, CB and Dline help....
Could we IR Lee?
Yeah, you're confusing me even more....

Ok let's just not say another thing about Lloyd, he's become irrelevant today.

So back to Lee....

You're saying that Stevie Johnson is unknown and Lee is a better option???

Secondly, why would we move up to address our "3rd and 4th WR needs" when we're sitting with Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson, Patton and Vernon Davis.....???

Hmmmmmmm, seems like the better option would be to address either our OL needs which are much higher that 3-4 options, and our DL/CB needs which are also higher than 3-4 options....

Yea lets pick an Oline in the 2nd round when we literally have a 2nd round pick in Martin, a monster of a men in Marquardt, and 2 homegrown prospects in Looney and Kilgore.

You're talking about Lee as if he's destined to play #3 or #4. That's simply where he's going to see his snaps in his first two years which is IDEAL because he was a workhorse at USC. He will not only be reliable in the slot but he will also rotate at 1 and 2 with Johnson. I mean this picks would signal that the FO is serious about sealing up the WR position for the next 4 years.

You missed the irony of my last post. A WR that has had 1k yard season in the NFL is never an unknown in the sense that he HAS produced. A college WR can NEVER be more known in this regard because he hasn't even played a snap.

The unknown factor of the Johnson are in the nature of him being traded.

So why?

Well last year he had less than 600 yards, he missed 5 games, he had several injuries, he was trade bait over a guy that literally is recovering from a stab wound to the leg.

Lee has his red flags too. He's 6ft and he ran 4.52. He has superhuman catching ability, his short to intermediate route running is near perfect, and when he has a spread out secondary he turns it into swiss cheese.
[ Edited by eonblue on May 9, 2014 at 3:46 PM ]
^^ Lee in the top 5-10 (which is where he was projected at the beginning of last season) is definitely overrated....but Lee in the 2nd round is pretty good value. I didn't see him as soft; I guess that's debatable. I do see him as a playmaker who at this stage of the draft is a bargain.

So back to Lee....

Secondly, why would we move up to address our "3rd and 4th WR needs" when we're sitting with Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson, Patton and Vernon Davis.....???

Hmmmmmmm, seems like the better option would be to address either our OL needs which are much higher that 3-4 options, and our DL/CB needs which are also higher than 3-4 options....

Yea lets pick an Oline in the 2nd round when we literally have a 2nd round pick in Martin, a monster of a men in Marquardt, and 2 homegrown prospects in Looney and Kilgore.

You're talking about Lee as if he's destined to play #3 or #4. That's simply where he's going to see his snaps in his first two years which is IDEAL because he was a workhorse at USC. He will not only be reliable in the slot but he will also rotate at 1 and 2 with Johnson. I mean this picks would signal that the FO is serious about sealing up the WR position for the next 4 years.

You missed the irony of my last post. A WR that has had 1k yard season in the NFL is never an unknown in the sense that he HAS produced. A college WR can NEVER be more known in this regard because he hasn't even played a snap.

So why?

Well last year he had less than 600 yards, he missed 5 games, he had several injuries, he was trade bait over a guy that literally is recovering from a stab wound to the leg.

Lee has his red flags too. He's 6ft and he ran 4.52. He has superhuman catching ability, his short to intermediate route running is near perfect, and when he has a spread out secondary he turns it into swiss cheese.

Accuracy and context is everything.

Technically Johnson only missed 4 games last year, but before that he hadn't missed a game since 2010. He had 597 receiving yards, but that was tops among all Bills WRs (2nd only to their TE, which isn't surprising when you have a rookie QB starting most of the games).

One down year that can be chalked up to a mix of things that have nothing to do with his ability, especially after 3 really productive years, doesn't define a 27 year-old WR.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on May 9, 2014 at 3:52 PM ]
^^ Lee in the top 5-10 (which is where he was projected at the beginning of last season) is definitely overrated....but Lee in the 2nd round is pretty good value. I didn't see him as soft; I guess that's debatable. I do see him as a playmaker who at this stage of the draft is a bargain.

That's all I'm saying. I'm not trying to say he's better than Johnson or that Johnson should not be considered as a viable option.

I think Lee is a great value pick at a position of need before the Johnson trade. I think adding Lee gives us so much more flexibility not only from a production standpoint but a contract/cap standpoint.

Totally agree. I think Lee would have been a great pick at 30 and he is excellent value in rd 2. He is a playmaker for sure and I expect him to be a very solid WR in the league.

Accuracy and context is everything.

Technically Johnson only missed 4 games last year, but before that he hadn't missed a game since 2010. He had 597 receiving yards, but that was tops among all Bills WRs (2nd only to their TE, which isn't surprising when you have a rookie QB starting most of the games).

Completely agree. He's never had a legit QB and he had a rough year on multiple levels last year. I just don't want his first year with us to be the beginning of that points that all WR's hit where they're body goes downhill. If I'm just being paranoid we have a legit 1 or 2 option when Boldin retires. If I'm right then we softened the fall with a legit 3. Yet again I wasn't trying to discourage the trade but why him over Mike Williams?

More to the point why trade the house for Watkins when you have a Johnson?
[ Edited by eonblue on May 9, 2014 at 4:00 PM ]

So back to Lee....

So why?

Well he had less than 600 yards, he missed 5 games, he had several injuries, he was trade bait over a guy that literally is recovering from a stab wound to the leg.

Yeah, I'm not counting Martin for anything, he will be lucky to play G on the current roster and we will be losing Iupati in less than a year and we have uncertainty at C as well as no depth, so yes, securing a versatile OL that can play C is a much higher need than a WR that won't see the field.

As far as Johnson last year, you do know who his QB was don't you? The same could be said of Crabtree since he also was injured......that's a ridiculous comparison....

With Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson and Patton starting the season healthy and the possibility that Lloyd could still make the roster, Lee wouldn't stand a chance of playing and that's not even counting the future of Baldwin.

Our biggest need next is either DL, OLB or CB.

I agree we should trade up to Washingtons spot, but it better be for Tuitt, or other DL. help, not for Lee.

Agree 100%, I just think we have bigger needs and now we're in a good spot to land a couple quality players.

Absolutely agree Lee is worth a 2nd rounder not even debate able
[ Edited by CWin4949 on May 9, 2014 at 3:58 PM ]
Yeah, I'm not counting Martin for anything, he will be lucky to play G on the current roster and we will be losing Iupati in less than a year and we have uncertainty at C as well as no depth, so yes, securing a versatile OL that can play C is a much higher need than a WR that won't see the field.

As far as Johnson last year, you do know who his QB was don't you? The same could be said of Crabtree since he also was injured......that's a ridiculous comparison....

With Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson and Patton starting the season healthy and the possibility that Lloyd could still make the roster, Lee wouldn't stand a chance of playing and that's not even counting the future of Baldwin.

Our biggest need next is either DL, OLB or CB.

I agree we should trade up to Washingtons spot, but it better be for Tuitt, or other DL. help, not for Lee.

I wouldn't mind that at all. DL or OLB....or Lee.

Man, I'm so ready for this 2nd round.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Jordan Mathews is who I want, but I get the feeling the 9ers aren't high on him. I also think he'll be gone by the time the 9ers pick.

I wonder if the 9ers have any interest in Keith McGill, did he visit with the 9ers, does anyone know?
Share 49ersWebzone