LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 338 users in the forums

Another CB needed Day 2

After initially freaking out about the Jimmie Ward pick, I've now come around after reading a lot on the kid and watching some film. The fact that he's listed as a safety scared me initially as it looked like the team was just picking Bethea's eventual replacement. Knowing he'll be our slot CB and top backup at safety is great.

Obviously we need to go after a WR with our next pick, but IMO we need still need a CB with one of our two 2nd round picks. Ward filling the slot CB position is wonderful and all, but I'm still hoping to see a potential starter at corner come out of this draft. Chris Cullivers injury and arrest/possible suspension have me a bit worried about relying on him as a starter alongside Brock in the secondary, Wright and Cox cannot be counted on to start if he's suspended long term or his performance doesn't match that of his 2012 campaign.

I'll be rooting for the 49ers to go grab another corner in the 2nd round so I ask the zone, do you guys share this thought or do you believe we now have what we need at the CB position?
I dont think another CB in round 2 is needed. We cant be starting 2 rookie CBs this year anyway. If we do, we are likely not going to the Super Bowl. I would rather go WR for sure, then add a pass rusher (LB or DLine). We can go CB in rounds 3 or 4 to add depth and hopefully get a starter in a year or 2.

i just think going Safety #1 and B in round #2 will almost force both to play significant time and likely will come with some growing pains (errors). I mean unless the front office knows more about Cullivers situation, CB might be more important than i think.
Move up and get a WR in round 2 plus 2 other 2nd round picks.
Depth is still a need.

The Ward pic was great because if fills two immediate needs in the secondary. Nickle, and backup S.

Now we need depth behind Brock and Culliver. I still see another CB being drafted in rounds 2-3. Desir would be my choice, but there are others than can be had as well.
Breeland, come on down....
I'm hoping for a Latimer and Jean-Baptiste second round.
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
Breeland, come on down....

Breeland, Desir or Roberson are the three I'm most interested in.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Depth is still a need.

The Ward pic was great because if fills two immediate needs in the secondary. Nickle, and backup S.

Now we need depth behind Brock and Culliver. I still see another CB being drafted in rounds 2-3. Desir would be my choice, but there are others than can be had as well.

Oh yeah, you already screwed that up.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Depth is still a need.

Oh yeah, you already screwed that up.

Share 49ersWebzone