There are 197 users in the forums

Deal up higher in the 2nd?

Deal up higher in the 2nd?

I'm fine with staying put and picking at #30. I'm not sure how we intend to use Jimmy Ward or not? S or CB or slot cover guy part time. But I will have to trust the team and wait and see. That being said now that we have 2 second rounders and multiple 3rd rounders I would prefer to deal up higher in the 2nd. To get the best available guys. Maybe WR and maybe DL or another CB possibility. Ward may be used some there.

The way I see it there are still some top 40 - 45 players out there on the board. I would rather not sit and stay put all the way until the end of the 2nd round. Deal up maybe with both 2nd's with some other picks to get some premier 2nd rounders rather than wait until they come off the board.

~ Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbuilt - 6'3" 212 lbs. 4.4 40 time. I think this is easy to explain.

~ Rasheed Hageman - DT or 3 - 4 DE perhaps for us. 6'6" 310 lbs. 4.97 40 time. Justin Smith and Ray MacDonald are both getting older and have been injured lately too.

We may be able to give up a 4th or a 3rd with each 2nd respectively to move up higher in the 2nd. I think both of these players will be gone by the time we pick. These players could make an impact and help our team. I don't like the idea at all of sitting put all the way until the end of the 2nd round. No doubt they will be gone by then. We certainly cannot keep 11 guys on this roster. No way at all. But since we stayed put in the 1st there may have been some wisdom to that. Now we have the possibility to deal up one or both of the 2nd's to much higher 2nd round picks. Maybe we could pull 3 impact guys out of this draft. At positions of need. That would be great.

Everybody has their players that they prefer. There are certainly lots of others. I listed some I like. But I think the strategy is the same even if you like other guys. Late 50's to 60 something I just don't think we get something really good. Deal up with one or both 2nd's and maybe we get 2 more picks in the top 45. To go with our #30 pick we already did. Minus some trade ammo spent. But I think that is worth it. Dealing up in the 2nd is not nearly as expensive and we actually have the picks to do it. So why would we not do it? As I said 11 guys don't make this roster.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on May 9, 2014 at 12:07 AM ]
If we could get both Tuitt N Matthews along with Ward i'd be a extrs happy man
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

Personally I like Hageman more than Tuitt. But yeah he and Matthews. Opinions vary. But the point being if we play this right we may be able to get 3 top 40 - 45 players in this draft. We didn't spend any ammo in the 1st round moving up. So now we still got lots of ammo. And no way 11 guys make this roster. So time to start using the ammo we have IMO.
Yes a move up is imminent on Friday. I think Lattimer/Mathews at WR will be the targets.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Personally I like Hageman more than Tuitt. But yeah he and Matthews. Opinions vary. But the point being if we play this right we may be able to get 3 top 40 - 45 players in this draft. We didn't spend any ammo in the 1st round moving up. So now we still got lots of ammo. And no way 11 guys make this roster. So time to start using the ammo we have IMO.

I'm guessing this is the plan. I think we got the guy we wanted and as you said didn't have to budge. Now is the time we go hardcore on it and get a couple immediate impact players in the next few rounds. And yeah we really don't even need 11 players at this point. We more or less just need to plug holes in areas like WR, CB, and many may judge but I think we take a QB in the first 4 as well. That's 100% for depth, not saying to put any pressure on Kaep.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Yes a move up is imminent on Friday. I think Lattimer/Mathews at WR will be the targets.

I agree. I would like to see it. We have to be really aggressive now. No reason to sit back anymore. Two 2nd's can be turned into 2 very powerful 2nd's if we play our cards right. We got no place for 11 guys on this roster. This is a deep draft. We still have some impact guys in the top 40 - 45 to be had. I would like to get 2 of them if we can. I think we have the ammo to do it.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I'm guessing this is the plan. I think we got the guy we wanted and as you said didn't have to budge. Now is the time we go hardcore on it and get a couple immediate impact players in the next few rounds. And yeah we really don't even need 11 players at this point. We more or less just need to plug holes in areas like WR, CB, and many may judge but I think we take a QB in the first 4 as well. That's 100% for depth, not saying to put any pressure on Kaep.

Personally I like Zach Mettenberger a lot. He has a cannon arm, big size, tall, strong, accurate, big competition. All he doesn't have is mobility. And he is recovering from the injury. I doubt he will be there at the round to value we want. But I would be happy if we picked him. You need a good backup too in the NFL. Plus a good QB is trade bait down the line. Sometimes you can land a 1st rounder. Or two 2nd's like Alex Smith. They bring excellent backup value and great trade value. We have no backup right now on this team at all.
Niners can groom either Tuitt or Hageman to be beasts. Look at our defensive line, i believe with having Justin Smith and Ray McDonald to help out rookies, they gain a ton of information on how the defensive line collapses the pocket and forces the QB to scramble. High on both prospects though
Originally posted by colinkaepernicks23:
Niners can groom either Tuitt or Hageman to be beasts. Look at our defensive line, i believe with having Justin Smith and Ray McDonald to help out rookies, they gain a ton of information on how the defensive line collapses the pocket and forces the QB to scramble. High on both prospects though

I agree. We should try to get one of them. Plus a WR too. We got the ammo to get both. Deal up with both 2nd's.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on May 9, 2014 at 1:04 AM ]
Originally posted by colinkaepernicks23:

Thought we draft this big guy in Tank to replace Justin. Dude is a big big boy. Besides I think Jim tomsula could take a guy off the street and make him a starter on any team, o wait he does that like every year we lose a dline player who starts for another team, and yet the dline keeps on working. Were fine on replacing Justin I think tank is the future there.

Take the Seahawks early 2nd round pick, they LOVE trading down.
[ Edited by KapToBoldin on May 9, 2014 at 1:48 AM ]
Originally posted by KapToBoldin:
Take the Seahawks early 2nd round pick, they LOVE trading down.

i think they would rather walk backwards naked in a room full of dicks than trading with the niners to possibly help us get the guy we want dude lol
I definitely think we use a 3rd to move up and grab a WR with our next pick.
We could use our 4th rd pick and 3rd rd #94 to move up with both our 2nd rd picks. That would leave us 2 more 3rd rd picks plus our 5th rounder and three 7ths.

The 49ers have a plan. They know which players they want and what it will likely take to get them.
Tuitt, Moncrief. Trade up for an additional 2nd-rounder in order to get another pass-rusher like Lawrence or Ealy.
Though, another DB like Joyner is still a possibility. Though, I think we will rather steal a DB in round 3 or on day 3 instead.

a TE is another possibility as well as an o-liner.
Share 49ersWebzone