LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Does anyone else think Trent Baalke couldn't find a trade parter in Round 1?

All the guys we would have wanted to trade up for went much earlier than expected.
[ Edited by WINiner on May 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM ]
Originally posted by cory4903:
With all the picks we have it is unreasonable to think that he could not find someone to trade up with. If there was someone he really wanted, he could have traded up and gotten them.

My guess is that the asking price was to high to get into the early teens, and once we got to the early 20's, Baalke figured he would be able to get someone he rated similarly without having to give up a 3rd rounder.

Going by that, there's always someone that you can trade up with. Your guess is pretty much spot on. Too high and it really wasn't worth it. I'd rather see them try to move up in the 2nd or even acquire another 2nd round pick. There are plenty of players available with first round talent in the second round this year and it doesn't make sense to give up multiple starters for one guy unless it's for a change the face of your franchise type of player.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
We probably couldn't trade up without selling the house but we probably could have traded back. The 1st 2 picks of the draft were non QB's by teams that needed QB's and the Raiders were sitting with the aprox 5th pick in rd 2 and needed a QB as well. We probably could have traded back and got an extra pick and still drafted our guy. On the small chance he was gone there would be plenty of very talented players we would covet that we could draft instead. We might have picked up a 3rd or 4th rd pick.

We probably could get an extra 4th by trading out of the first round, but I don't recall them usually trading down for a defensive player. Usually they trade up, like when they drafted reid. If it was an offensive player - like a Kaepernick, then they seem more willing to trade back and risk losing out on the player.
I don't blame Baalke at all for not trading up...as a GM if you don't feel good about a potential trade, then the best thing to do is stand pat and take the guy highest on your board. That's what he did and now Harbaugh has a very versatile, skilled DB Fangio can do a lot of things with, one in particular is be that deep ballhawk to prevent what Wilson did to us in the NFCCG.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
We probably couldn't trade up without selling the house but we probably could have traded back. The 1st 2 picks of the draft were non QB's by teams that needed QB's and the Raiders were sitting with the aprox 5th pick in rd 2 and needed a QB as well. We probably could have traded back and got an extra pick and still drafted our guy. On the small chance he was gone there would be plenty of very talented players we would covet that we could draft instead. We might have picked up a 3rd or 4th rd pick.

We probably could get an extra 4th by trading out of the first round, but I don't recall them usually trading down for a defensive player. Usually they trade up, like when they drafted reid. If it was an offensive player - like a Kaepernick, then they seem more willing to trade back and risk losing out on the player.

Actually , immediately after trading up for Reid they traded back, acquired a 3rd rd pick for this year (#77), and then drafted Tank Carradine in round 2.
Absolutely. He couldn't get a deal that was beneficial to the team.
Share 49ersWebzone