There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What WR now?

welp that changes everything
Whoops not sure why I said roby thanks for catching that. Pierre desir is who I want them to land
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Herron and Abbrederis in the 3rd.

One or the other now.
Tells me that teams at the front of the 2nd round have some pretty good trade offers, the niners probably made a move for a higher pick in the 2nd and were told what it would take....so they took risk out of the equation for very little.
One or the other now.

I think Herron now, another vertical threat to go along with Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson, Patton and Osgood. Lloyd might not even make the team now.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 9, 2014 at 12:28 PM ]
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
WOW, well that changes the draft scenario entirely.

Yes. DL and CB in the 2nd now?

Ealy or Hageman then Dessir
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
One or the other now.

I think Herron now, another vertical threat to go along with Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson, Patton and Osgood. Lloyd might not even make the team now.

Yep. We will still draft a WR, Crabs is probably gone and Boldin the season after. I wouldn't even mind a big, fast target like Latimer or Moncrief although it appears less likely. Marshall and Jeffrey are not burners but they are both vertical threats due to their sheer size. I doubt the Bears are complaining about their wideout situation. You don't necessarily need a 4.3 guy, just someone who can get open deep.
I think acquiring Stevie makes drafting a WR with the next pick more likely. Latimer would be my guess.
  • Phil
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
WR board at this point:
1. Robinson
2. Latimer
3. Matthews
4. Lee
5. Landry
6. Montcrief
7. Adams
8. Bryant
9. Abbrederis
10. Ellington

Very good crop of WRs left on the board. I expect more than half of these guys to still be on the board by the 56th pick, so there is depth. However, I do see Robinson as the class of this group. If the Niners want a center, they better go up and get one early in the second, with Richburg, Bitonio and Martin on the board. Once they are gone, it is a BIG dropoff to the next guy. I don't see that dramatic a dropoff from the number 3 to 4+ graded WRs.

Montcrief is a guy that I have been moving up. Might be there at the end of the second round. So, for me, I'd go a trade up for center or Robinson, and then if they moved up for center, shoot for Montcrief later.

Weighing the better combo of:
A trade up for Richburg and then Montcrief at 61( a corner later)
OR
A trade up for Robinson and then Gaines at 61 (a center later)

Good debate in my mind

Agree 100% If we can nab Robinson and Bitonio, using our later round picks to move up, we'd be in great shape. The people hating on Robinson haven't looked at his tape, or something. There's a reason the Texans took Bill O'Brien (Penn State coach). He ran a pro style offense- Allen Robinson thrived in it. Robinson is one of the most pro-ready WR's in the draft. A lot of times college WR's dont transfer well to the pro's. Can't handle the route trees. Robinson has great hands, ran complex routes and gets YAC like a beast. He can jump like a bullfrog and led the nation in receptions over 40+ yards. He also produced BIG both years he started under the pro style offense under 2 different QB's.

Some of the WR's in the draft had quality QB's in more simple offenses. For them it wont be as easy of a transition as Robinson and our staff, some people say, have an issue with developing WR's- an issue with transferring their skills into the NFL game. Robinson would be the less risky in that regard. He kinda plays like Boldin and could learn a lot from him. The Texans might try to nab him, not likely because of other needs but after that Seattle probably will. The Lions might. Jaguars maybe. The Browns will probably go after Lee.
Originally posted by senseimatt:
I think acquiring Stevie makes drafting a WR with the next pick more likely. Latimer would be my guess.

That would be really counter-intuitive.
Whatever reciever we get has to have KR/PR abilities. Dri Archer anybody?
It's safe to say we are open for business today.
  • Phil
Got Johnson? Wow. We definitely wont be drafting 2 WR's now. It looks like they might be planning to replace Crabtree and Boldin though (Crabs cap hit in 2015 and Boldin in 2016). Lloyd and Baldwin give me no confidence if that's the scenario. I bet we still draft 1 WR.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by senseimatt:

That would be really counter-intuitive.

Yeah, I wondered about the thinking behind that as well.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Whatever reciever we get has to have KR/PR abilities. Dri Archer anybody?

Got the same feeling.