There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Jimmy Ward remind the 49ers of Earl Thomas

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
A nickel CB is a starting player nowadays, simple as that. If you can get a guy to fill that role and then develop into a starting safety, you just got tremendous value out of that 1st rounder.

Yup 60% of the time... Every time
[ Edited by HarboutTHAT on May 8, 2014 at 11:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I might take shots for this but.....IMO I think Jimmie Ward reminds me more of Ed Reed (prime) than Earl Thomas. Ward is a very physical Safety that will throw his body into the tackle, I don't see too much of that in Thomas.

I think this is a great thought, I'm just Gina have to do more research to prove it...
  • Taco
  • Veteran
I see Jimmy Ward as a disciplined player that will compete from the start of camp for the nickel cb role and own it as a rook. People may say nicklebacks are not starters but in todays game they are on the field 60% of the time. He has good press and man coverage skills, fluid hips, and has a knack for getting his body in the best position at the last second possible to make a play on the ball. From day one he will learn three positions slot cb, ss, and fs. He will win that slot cb role and by late season hold a hybrid cb/safety role across formations playing most downs giving Fangio flexibility. Personally I wanted Verett but we got Ward without giving anything up and it satisfies the same need this season and gives fangio mirror safties in year two.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by bleedredandgold:
Disappointed . In a year where the talent was deep enough to move up and get an impact player in the teens we did nothing . In a year when half of our draft picks cant have roster spots .. we did nothing . It was the wrong draft to sit . I watched the jimmy ward highlite reels . My opionion is he will be a fair player at best and will be a weakness agianst size in the redzone . Imagine the huge tight ends lining up agianst this guy lol . There were 3 other players available that id have taken and could have been ok with . Not a fan of this pick at all .. grade D .

Quick question........do you know what the other teams were asking from the Niners to move up? The Texans were asking for 3 1st round picks to get the #1 pick. The Bills had to give up 2 1st round picks and a 4th rounder to move up only 5 slots. Odell Beckham went way early at # 12 and that was apparently their guy. How much do you think other teams were asking for the Niners to move up that far. Beckham is good, but not a superstar.

The Niners got a good, young safety who could take over for Bethea next year and cover the slot this year. This draft is so far from over it's not even funny.

m brock my thoughts fall with you... It became apparent really soon that the price to move up was too steep... I found that heart breaking, but I was a cooks or ODB optimist (heavy)... Now I'm happy where we stand... The picks are awesome and Jimmy's tape is awesome...

I should have seen this sooner lol... I'm such a rook...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Touchdown49ers2014:
WHAT A CRAZY RISKY PICK!!!

COMPARING HIM TO REID OR ALDON SMITH IS NOT COMPARABLE. THOSE TWO PLAYED IN THE SEC AGAINST PROVEN TALENT.

WHAT COLLEGE DID THIS GUY PLAY AT AND WHAT KIND OF COMPETITION DID HE FACE ON A WEEKLY BASIS?

SURELY WAS NOT SEC OR NFL TYPE TALENT.

49ERS SHOULD HAVE TRADED UP AND GOT ONE OF THE TOP TWO CORNERS OR WIDE RECEIVERS.

BEING CHEAP AND STINGY WILL COST THEM.

THE RAMS JUST UPGRADED BIG TIME!! THE GAP BETWEEN ST LOUIS AND SF IS CLOSING WHILE THE NINERS MAKE DUMB PICKS LIKE THIS AND A.J. JENKINS.

You do know that Ward play one of his best games against Florida St. right??

They've beaten Iowa, Ball St. and Purdue, sure not really power house teams and Purdue had a crap season but that talent isn't exactly Ivy league either.

Btw how did 49ers do when they gave up 4 picks including another 1st round pick to trade up for JJ Stokes??
[ Edited by Kolohe on May 9, 2014 at 12:31 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by QBguru:
I hope we didn't draft him to stay a nickel corner and backup safety. You just don't draft 1st round picks to be a backup player. I know, I know, the nickel corner is used 50-60% of the time blah blah blah, I just hope this guy is starting material.

A nickel CB is a starting player nowadays, simple as that. If you can get a guy to fill that role and then develop into a starting safety, you just got tremendous value out of that 1st rounder.

OK. A player who plays 50-60% of snaps is a starter. Not really. You draft a nickel back in middle rounds or hell even the 2nd round, but not the 1st man. If we wanted a corner why not trade up for one who has potential to be the #1 CB. Then draft a nickel guy later. No matter what anyone says a nickelback is not a starter. You draft starters with your first rounder.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
I love the draft. It's when you get to see who has a clue how football works and who bases every evaluation on the SEC.
Well were trying to have a serious pass rush , lb and safety core.. SO that we can get away with mediocre cbs.... I get it
Originally posted by QBguru:
OK. A player who plays 50-60% of snaps is a starter. Not really. You draft a nickel back in middle rounds or hell even the 2nd round, but not the 1st man. If we wanted a corner why not trade up for one who has potential to be the #1 CB. Then draft a nickel guy later. No matter what anyone says a nickelback is not a starter. You draft starters with your first rounder.

In today's NFL, you can't really afford to slack off on your slot corner, this isn't 1995 anymore, regardless of what percentage of snaps they play and in the 49ers defense it is a lot, you need a good one. 49ers fans should understand the importance of that seeing how the lack of a high quality slot CB has cost them in previous years. With Ward being groomed to be a starter at safety down the road, the value for the pick is certainly there.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
his 40 time broad jump and vertical would have placed him in the top 2 safeties.... in athletic ability. nominated for jim thorpe award... dude is good. i tripped out too. blocked what 4 fg's or kicks... harbaugh said he makes moves to the ball before everyone else on the field. sounds like someone i want on the 9ners defense. you all hated the aldon pick just like me... that came from cbs... and ps he did that at his proday with a fracture in his foot.
[ Edited by fan49 on May 9, 2014 at 12:48 AM ]
Going to be honest I trust Trent to draft good defensive players. I trust the coaching staff aka Ed, and Greg the secondary coachs to get the most out of this kid, and I believe he has a chance to be a great player and value for the pick we had. The only other CB worth taking for the slot went to the browns, were not going up 21 picks for cheap. Very happy with the choice, those who think slot cb's aren't important in todays nfl are crazy, how many times did we watch carlos get burned in the slot that cost us some games.
Interesting thread subject. You think Seadderal moved out of the 1st round because we picked Ward? After reading what Harbaalke said about him, sounds exactly the type of DB they want also. Even if that's not the reason they bailed out of 1st round it makes me happy to think they did because we picked same guy they wanted.
Originally posted by Touchdown49ers2014:
WHAT A CRAZY RISKY PICK!!!

COMPARING HIM TO REID OR ALDON SMITH IS NOT COMPARABLE. THOSE TWO PLAYED IN THE SEC AGAINST PROVEN TALENT.

WHAT COLLEGE DID THIS GUY PLAY AT AND WHAT KIND OF COMPETITION DID HE FACE ON A WEEKLY BASIS?

SURELY WAS NOT SEC OR NFL TYPE TALENT.

49ERS SHOULD HAVE TRADED UP AND GOT ONE OF THE TOP TWO CORNERS OR WIDE RECEIVERS.

BEING CHEAP AND STINGY WILL COST THEM.

THE RAMS JUST UPGRADED BIG TIME!! THE GAP BETWEEN ST LOUIS AND SF IS CLOSING WHILE THE NINERS MAKE DUMB PICKS LIKE THIS AND A.J. JENKINS.

HEY ALL CAPS GUY.

In order to trade, you have to have a partner.

It has been reported that the 49ers attempted to trade up for Odell Beckham, JR. They couldn't.

You can't just will this stuff to happen. I'm sure they tried to trade up with Tennessee, but if a team won't move back, your hands are tied.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Interesting thread subject. You think Seadderal moved out of the 1st round because we picked Ward? After reading what Harbaalke said about him, sounds exactly the type of DB they want also. Even if that's not the reason they bailed out of 1st round it makes me happy to think they did because we picked same guy they wanted.

The Seahawks wanted Dominique Easley. It's been reported. Check Twitter.
Originally posted by THEB:
didnt need a safety. needed a WR and CB, still picked a safety
Just because we don't have an IMMEDIATE need, it doesn't mean that we should avoid him.
Effectively, Bethea is here for just two years and usually a prospect needs a year to get the step for the NFL, imho.
We don't have any reliable backup, neither for Reid nor for Bethea.
We don't have any slot CB, except for Cully.

Still thinking that we picked a guy we don't need?