LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Does Jimmy Ward remind the 49ers of Earl Thomas

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by teylo31:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
How could you people not like/love the pick, some of you need to pick up a draft magazine before discussing the draft or judging the pick!!!

We are all fans. Are only job is to judge everything this team does good and bad and discuss. Im only discussimg based on my opinion as is everbody esle because I dont think anybody here works at 4949 centennial. You say pick up a magazine like they have never missed a pick before

Well think about it, Jimmie Ward was rated a 2nd round pick. Honestly, I thought he would've been gone about the 20th pick, he's much better than Deone Bucannon and more versatile. If 9ers would've let him fall to the 2nd no doubt he would've been picked.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by teylo31:
Welk of course you would like the pick bro.

It seems people familiar with the player like the pick, people who have no idea who he is and who never watched him are now crying about it because Baalke didn't pick from among the handful of guys they had actually heard about from Mel Kiper.

This happens all the time. Aldon Smith was a supposed to be a bust because no one heard of him, and so was Eric Reid because he was supposed to be available without trading up.
This guy seems to have an edge to him looks confident in his play..might have that "swagger" trait balke was talking about.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I might take shots for this but.....IMO I think Jimmie Ward reminds me more of Ed Reed (prime) than Earl Thomas. Ward is a very physical Safety that will throw his body into the tackle, I don't see too much of that in Thomas.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The NFL is evolving more into a passing league each year, so you have to address two issue: getting to the QB and having guys in the secondary that have excellent coverage skills. Let's face it, the SS position will be obsolete in a number of years. The Niners are ahead of the curve by pairing up two coverage safeties in Reid and Ward. I think if the common 49er fan took some time to see how Jimmie Ward performed and looked on the field at the Senior Bowl, they would be very impressed.

For me, he was the 15th best player for the team in this draft, the top guy on my board at 30, and the team got a terrific player. Although he is a safety, he will start out in the slot, and do just fine. This will not turn out to be an AJ Jenkins or Kentwan Balmer impact player.

I agree with this. His versatility is key, Fangio has already said he prefers interchangeable safeties and Ward will give the 49ers options as he can move up to stuff the run or drop back in coverage. The 49ers just took nickel corner and backup safety off the list at the same time.

I hope we didn't draft him to stay a nickel corner and backup safety. You just don't draft 1st round picks to be a backup player. I know, I know, the nickel corner is used 50-60% of the time blah blah blah, I just hope this guy is starting material.
I might take shots for this but.....IMO I think Jimmie Ward reminds me more of Ed Reed (prime) than Earl Thomas. Ward is a very physical Safety that will throw his body into the tackle, I don't see too much of that in Thomas.

Hope you are correct! I see the same thing...intelligent play, quick to the ball and a leader. If he turns out to be an Ed Reed type of player we will have the best S tandem in the NFL for years to come.
Originally posted by QBguru:
I hope we didn't draft him to stay a nickel corner and backup safety. You just don't draft 1st round picks to be a backup player. I know, I know, the nickel corner is used 50-60% of the time blah blah blah, I just hope this guy is starting material.

A nickel CB is a starting player nowadays, simple as that. If you can get a guy to fill that role and then develop into a starting safety, you just got tremendous value out of that 1st rounder.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
I like dogs. Dogs are cool. I got 2.

Ed Bassmaster ftw.
WHAT A CRAZY RISKY PICK!!!

COMPARING HIM TO REID OR ALDON SMITH IS NOT COMPARABLE. THOSE TWO PLAYED IN THE SEC AGAINST PROVEN TALENT.

WHAT COLLEGE DID THIS GUY PLAY AT AND WHAT KIND OF COMPETITION DID HE FACE ON A WEEKLY BASIS?

SURELY WAS NOT SEC OR NFL TYPE TALENT.

49ERS SHOULD HAVE TRADED UP AND GOT ONE OF THE TOP TWO CORNERS OR WIDE RECEIVERS.

BEING CHEAP AND STINGY WILL COST THEM.

THE RAMS JUST UPGRADED BIG TIME!! THE GAP BETWEEN ST LOUIS AND SF IS CLOSING WHILE THE NINERS MAKE DUMB PICKS LIKE THIS AND A.J. JENKINS.
Originally posted by Touchdown49ers2014:
WHAT A CRAZY RISKY PICK!!!

COMPARING HIM TO REID OR ALDON SMITH IS NOT COMPARABLE. THOSE TWO PLAYED IN THE SEC AGAINST PROVEN TALENT.

WHAT COLLEGE DID THIS GUY PLAY AT AND WHAT KIND OF COMPETITION DID HE FACE ON A WEEKLY BASIS?

SURELY WAS NOT SEC OR NFL TYPE TALENT.

49ERS SHOULD HAVE TRADED UP AND GOT ONE OF THE TOP TWO CORNERS OR WIDE RECEIVERS.

BEING CHEAP AND STINGY WILL COST THEM.

THE RAMS JUST UPGRADED BIG TIME!! THE GAP BETWEEN ST LOUIS AND SF IS CLOSING WHILE THE NINERS MAKE DUMB PICKS LIKE THIS AND A.J. JENKINS.

Can you say the same for Kaepernick, Staley, Iupati? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Stop trolling.

EXACTLY!

KAP STILL HAS NOT PROVEN HIMSELF A GOOD PASSER IN THE NFL.

WHY? CAUSE HE DID NOT FACE GOOD DEFENSIVE TALENT IN COLLEGE TO PREPARE HIM FOR THE PROS AND IT SHOWS.

ALL THESE COMMENTS TRYING TO REASSURE THIS WAS A GOOD DRAFT PICK SOUNDS EXACTLY WHAT PEOPLE WERE SAYING TO REASSURE THEMSELVES AFTER A.J. JENKINS WAS PICKED!!!
EXACTLY!

WHY? CAUSE HE DID NOT FACE GOOD DEFENSIVE TALENT IN COLLEGE TO PREPARE HIM FOR THE PROS AND IT SHOWS.

ALL THESE COMMENTS TRYING TO REASSURE THIS WAS A GOOD DRAFT PICK SOUNDS EXACTLY WHAT PEOPLE WERE SAYING TO REASSURE THEMSELVES AFTER A.J. JENKINS WAS PICKED!!!

Caps Lock is your friend

Thomas is a beast and does throw himself into tackles. He's the best player in that secondary and the whole defense imo but sherman get a lot of love because he is the loudest.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on May 8, 2014 at 11:45 PM ]
EXACTLY!

AND THEY SOUND LIKE THE PEOPLE AFTER ERIC REID WAS PICKED. AND WHO GIVES A s**t IF HE WAS A PRO BOWLER AS A ROOKIE?!!
EXACTLY!

Your comments are based solely off of the school he played at?

Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco have rings. Look their schools up.

I could give more examples but I don't think it's worth my time.
Share 49ersWebzone