LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Does Jimmy Ward remind the 49ers of Earl Thomas

Ok so we still got #56,#61,#77,#94 and #100 tomorrow? This team is STARVING for a TRUE CB. I like McGill and Baptiste, I also like Latimer as a WR and Davonte as a WR and Moncrief as WR.. Need DE/DT Justin/Raymac Help. Could use a thick type workhorse rb.
I was surprised and a little confused. I don't absolutely hate the pic, but I don't see where he fits early on. Maybe we will use him in the role we seemed to be developing Michael Thomas for, a role similar to the Honey Badger that combo safety nickleback role.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yes because other teams never let talented guys slide down the draft boards. That's why Russell Wilson and Tom Brady were 1st round picks.

Agree but the post I responded to said SI had him at A+ Thats what people lose jobs over if they miss that
Originally posted by teylo31:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I agree with this. His versatility is key, Fangio has already said he prefers interchangeable safeties and Ward will give the 49ers options as he can move up to stuff the run or drop back in coverage. The 49ers just took nickel corner and backup safety off the list at the same time.

That statement is kind of contradicting. A saftey that can cover and stuff the run is not the same as a slot corner. Its not even the same. They either got one or the other but I think he will only be a slot corner and I dont see him as a safety in the future

No, that statement is not contradicting. It's talking about Ward's versatility in the secondary overall...that he can play slot corner and backup at S due to his coverage skills (covering the slot is one of the areas where he'll initially compete early in his career, per Harbaugh & Baalke) and also his ability to mix it up as a tackler and stuff the run playing close to the line of scrimmage at times. Interchangeable Safeties in the Niners' scheme...and, with the ability to also cover the slot. A good pick with all-around abilities in the secondary. Could put on some weight and I'm sure the team will work w/ him on that while also making sure he doesn't sacrifice his good speed.
Originally posted by bleedredandgold:
Disappointed . In a year where the talent was deep enough to move up and get an impact player in the teens we did nothing . In a year when half of our draft picks cant have roster spots .. we did nothing . It was the wrong draft to sit . I watched the jimmy ward highlite reels . My opionion is he will be a fair player at best and will be a weakness agianst size in the redzone . Imagine the huge tight ends lining up agianst this guy lol . There were 3 other players available that id have taken and could have been ok with . Not a fan of this pick at all .. grade D .

Quick question........do you know what the other teams were asking from the Niners to move up? The Texans were asking for 3 1st round picks to get the #1 pick. The Bills had to give up 2 1st round picks and a 4th rounder to move up only 5 slots. Odell Beckham went way early at # 12 and that was apparently their guy. How much do you think other teams were asking for the Niners to move up that far. Beckham is good, but not a superstar.

The Niners got a good, young safety who could take over for Bethea next year and cover the slot this year. This draft is so far from over it's not even funny.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
I like dogs. Dogs are cool. I got 2.

edbassmaster?
Originally posted by SofaKing:

edbassmaster?

lol yup
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Quick question........do you know what the other teams were asking from the Niners to move up? The Texans were asking for 3 1st round picks to get the #1 pick. The Bills had to give up 2 1st round picks and a 4th rounder to move up only 5 slots. Odell Beckham went way early at # 12 and that was apparently their guy. How much do you think other teams were asking for the Niners to move up that far. Beckham is good, but not a superstar.

The Niners got a good, young safety who could take over for Bethea next year and cover the slot this year. This draft is so far from over it's not even funny.

This, 49ers are about to go into a day where they will pick 5 times(currently), that could increase or decrease depending on how they move around but suffice to say, this draft is deepest in the middle and the 49ers are about to pick up some high quality players.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

edbassmaster?

lol yup

Bartle doo!!!....?
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
No, that statement is not contradicting. It's talking about Ward's versatility in the secondary overall...that he can play slot corner and backup at S due to his coverage skills (covering the slot is one of the areas where he'll initially compete early in his career, per Harbaugh & Baalke) and also his ability to mix it up as a tackler and stuff the run playing close to the line of scrimmage at times. Interchangeable Safeties in the Niners' scheme...and, with the ability to also cover the slot. A good pick with all-around abilities in the secondary. Could put on some weight and I'm sure the team will work w/ him on that while also making sure he doesn't sacrifice his good speed.

I hope he works out. Im not being a smart@$$ but he can only play one position. He cant honestly kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Either slot or safety right now. Im a little superstitious as all sports fans are. I just see too many similarities to the Jenkins pick when Baalke bucked the system and took someone he shouldn't have with the same pick (30) and he needed to bulk up too like you said in your own words. I just feel like 1st round picks shpuld be plug and and play. Its just the stigma thats follows that number

After watching some film on Ward, I think he'll do a good job in the slot. He is fast twitched, aggressive, good tackler with great hands. His cover skills look good.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The NFL is evolving more into a passing league each year, so you have to address two issue: getting to the QB and having guys in the secondary that have excellent coverage skills. Let's face it, the SS position will be obsolete in a number of years. The Niners are ahead of the curve by pairing up two coverage safeties in Reid and Ward. I think if the common 49er fan took some time to see how Jimmie Ward performed and looked on the field at the Senior Bowl, they would be very impressed.

For me, he was the 15th best player for the team in this draft, the top guy on my board at 30, and the team got a terrific player. Although he is a safety, he will start out in the slot, and do just fine. This will not turn out to be an AJ Jenkins or Kentwan Balmer impact player.

I don't mind the pick, since we lost a good set of players in Whitner and Brown this offseason. also Nickel defense has been a weakness for us and the location of the weakness is the defensive backfield. Having said that, I don't watch college ball, and depend on the Zoners here -- and have basically blind faith in the 49er front office. I've read all of the comments on the live draft thread and clearly the WebZoners have mixed reactions, but it's a sensible pick. Harbaugh's philosophy is to win with defense and turnovers and mistake free ball control offense. Ward can cover and intercept the ball, and while I'd have loved to have a Mike Evans, we're too far down the draft to have a shot at those top receivers. Looks like we are going to have to go to more Raw one dimensional players at the WR position now that the first day is over. I'm looking to see if we can land a WR with pure flat out speed and some decent hands, but is raw and available when we pick.
I hope he works out. Im not being a smart@$$ but he can only play one position. He cant honestly kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Either slot or safety right now. Im a little superstitious as all sports fans are. I just see too many similarities to the Jenkins pick when Baalke bucked the system and took someone he shouldn't have with the same pick (30) and he needed to bulk up too like you said in your own words. I just feel like 1st round picks shpuld be plug and and play. Its just the stigma thats follows that number

He can play nickel corner, in case of injury he could also step in at safety. Its his versatility that is a tremendous asset and apparently you aren't seeing that.
  • buhda
  • Veteran
Addition by subtraction. Ward,Rodgers
Demarcus Lawrence,Aldon Smith pending issues
Cody Latimer,Baldwin
Pierre Desir ,Culliver pending issues
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Care to share the similarities to AJ Jenkins?
Share 49ersWebzone