There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Jimmy Ward remind the 49ers of Earl Thomas

Ward is a small consolation prize after missing out on fuller, Gilbert, verrett, Beckham, and cooks.
Originally posted by Viperboy:
Ended up with my draft crush

mE TOO, WAS THINKIN IN 2ND RD. THO, BUT STILL A 49ER!!!!!!
No
I would have preferred to 49ers traded back a few slots and then drafted him if he were still available. There were still QB's on the board that the teams picking early were wanting to move up for. It's not like if someone did take him before our new position there wouldn't be anyone on the board we could draft that could help us. The 2nd round is overloaded with talent.
Originally posted by Viperboy:
Ended up with my draft crush

mE TOO, WAS THINKIN IN 2ND RD. THO, BUT STILL A 49ER!!!!!!
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
I'm a pretty big fan of the dude, he was generating a lot of buzz just before the senior bowl. After watching some tape of the guy, I dont think we could have pulled a better pick at the 30 spot.
I was pissed at first too, but then I did some research and I see how he fits.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The NFL is evolving more into a passing league each year, so you have to address two issue: getting to the QB and having guys in the secondary that have excellent coverage skills. Let's face it, the SS position will be obsolete in a number of years. The Niners are ahead of the curve by pairing up two coverage safeties in Reid and Ward. I think if the common 49er fan took some time to see how Jimmie Ward performed and looked on the field at the Senior Bowl, they would be very impressed.

For me, he was the 15th best player for the team in this draft, the top guy on my board at 30, and the team got a terrific player. Although he is a safety, he will start out in the slot, and do just fine. This will not turn out to be an AJ Jenkins or Kentwan Balmer impact player.

It seems like your doing more of a job defending the pick than actually praising the pick. I really dont like the pick but time will tell but by you mentioning those players tells me more than the pick itself. Baalke has a bad track record with picks this late and you did a great job of naming those 2 picks on cue
Here's some film.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2050756-jimmie-ward-2014-nfl-draft-highlights-scouting-report-and-breakdown?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=san-francisco-49ers
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
lol at the comparison. c'mon son you're bugging if you think Ward is the version of Earl Thomas. ET was nine hundred and ninety nine million miles ahead during his playing days at ut and when he got drafted. please lay off of drugs. whether it's a natural drug or synthetic. the synopsis in your brain is firing irregularly due to intake of such substances.

Although I was surprised and initially said huh, I already knew that Baalke was gonna do his own thing. Still I am surprised that they didn't go after Dennard or Verret. Although I knew some teams may not want to trade back that far, some are assuming another that another team will just give up a pick based on the calculator, not taking into account only if their player is not their or that they can still get the player(s) they want at that position.

With that said espn did make a comment that Ward made plays that made Earl Thomas jump up and cheer (whether that is true or not I don't know. Watching the highlight video though of the 2013 Bowl game against Florida State, he was playing/position more like a CB than a safety. The guy also had 7 interceptions last year and good speed at 4.45 and 4.47. In case people have forgotten, a lot of people reacted the same way with Culliver a third rounder, the niners will do the same. As long as he produces the draft position value is good. Its just that people didn't hear much of him leading up to the draft and established their personnel biases based on other peoples thoughts.

The espn broadcast team said this was a good pick for the niners and were saying the same thing that he will be probably be switched to CB. I am just glad they didn't pick Robey. Also when it comes to DB, Baalke seems to do pretty well. Its receivers that he has not fiared well with yet.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I agree with this. His versatility is key, Fangio has already said he prefers interchangeable safeties and Ward will give the 49ers options as he can move up to stuff the run or drop back in coverage. The 49ers just took nickel corner and backup safety off the list at the same time.

That statement is kind of contradicting. A saftey that can cover and stuff the run is not the same as a slot corner. Its not even the same. They either got one or the other but I think he will only be a slot corner and I dont see him as a safety in the future
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The NFL is evolving more into a passing league each year, so you have to address two issue: getting to the QB and having guys in the secondary that have excellent coverage skills. Let's face it, the SS position will be obsolete in a number of years. The Niners are ahead of the curve by pairing up two coverage safeties in Reid and Ward. I think if the common 49er fan took some time to see how Jimmie Ward performed and looked on the field at the Senior Bowl, they would be very impressed.
Absolutely agree. Seattle has four guys in the back that can defend against the pass. This puts the 49ers in that same class in another year, or maybe less.

It is going to be interesting to see how the rest of the draft unfolds. Obviously Baalke realizes the need for better pass defender in the back to defend against this more pass-oriented league. That having been said, I wonder if Harbaugh will now become more pass-oriented as well, or is this just Baalke giving Fangio guys for his defense.
Sports Illustrated:

Grade: A+.

In Super Bowl XLVIII, Seattle's Kam Chancellor re-established the value of the safety who could play in lurk (midfield) coverage against slot receivers and tight ends, adding an important element to a team's overall defensive concepts. Ward has already done a lot of lurking, and he'll be a great asset when the 49ers move to their nickel and dime coverages, because he covers so much ground, and in so many different ways.
Some mocks had him going to the Ravens, Packers, Chiefs, etc. All in that range. I don't see it as a reach. I trust our FO, particularly with DBs.
he was Niners highest-rated DB behind gilbert & fuller so that says a lot IMO