LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Does Jimmy Ward remind the 49ers of Earl Thomas

he's the guy i wanted all along!!!!!
lol at the comparison. c'mon son you're bugging if you think Ward is the version of Earl Thomas. ET was nine hundred and ninety nine million miles ahead during his playing days at ut and when he got drafted. please lay off of drugs. whether it's a natural drug or synthetic. the synopsis in your brain is firing irregularly due to intake of such substances.
The NFL is evolving more into a passing league each year, so you have to address two issue: getting to the QB and having guys in the secondary that have excellent coverage skills. Let's face it, the SS position will be obsolete in a number of years. The Niners are ahead of the curve by pairing up two coverage safeties in Reid and Ward. I think if the common 49er fan took some time to see how Jimmie Ward performed and looked on the field at the Senior Bowl, they would be very impressed.

For me, he was the 15th best player for the team in this draft, the top guy on my board at 30, and the team got a terrific player. Although he is a safety, he will start out in the slot, and do just fine. This will not turn out to be an AJ Jenkins or Kentwan Balmer impact player.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
lol at the comparison. c'mon son you're bugging if you think Ward is the version of Earl Thomas. ET was nine hundred and ninety nine million miles ahead during his playing days at ut and when he got drafted. please lay off of drugs. whether it's a natural drug or synthetic. the synopsis in your brain is firing irregularly due to intake of such substances.

Hahah breath.... He has range and he picked ALOT... I'm not saying he is as pro ready, but look into Baalkes thoughts...We do need a safety... I've looked at tape and stats... Bethea is not as good in coverage as many think... The more tape I watch the more I love his range..... Just wish he would drop his shoulder more w/ power....He is a solid ankle tackler tho...
Originally posted by THEB:
didnt need a safety. needed a WR and CB, still picked a safety

He's going to play CB. He'll be the 49ers slot corner and will be groomed to take over at safety, so with one pick the 49ers just filled two needs.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The NFL is evolving more into a passing league each year, so you have to address two issue: getting to the QB and having guys in the secondary that have excellent coverage skills. Let's face it, the SS position will be obsolete in a number of years. The Niners are ahead of the curve by pairing up two coverage safeties in Reid and Ward. I think if the common 49er fan took some time to see how Jimmie Ward performed and looked on the field at the Senior Bowl, they would be very impressed.

For me, he was the 15th best player for the team in this draft, the top guy on my board at 30, and the team got a terrific player. Although he is a safety, he will start out in the slot, and do just fine. This will not turn out to be an AJ Jenkins or Kentwan Balmer impact player.

I agree with this. His versatility is key, Fangio has already said he prefers interchangeable safeties and Ward will give the 49ers options as he can move up to stuff the run or drop back in coverage. The 49ers just took nickel corner and backup safety off the list at the same time.
The pick makes sense as long as he can cover. Excited about tomorrow!
[ Edited by T-9ers on May 8, 2014 at 9:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

I agree with this. His versatility is key, Fangio has already said he prefers interchangeable safeties and Ward will give the 49ers options as he can move up to stuff the run or drop back in coverage. The 49ers just took nickel corner and backup safety off the list at the same time.

Phoenix let me get your thoughts... Do u think this 100 percent removes Joyner from there board??? Bethea has basically a 1 yr 5 million dollar deal... I really think they are looking to move up for a receiver tomorrow as well as Trent Murphy... But Joyner would SOLIDIFY our backend for years...

This.

Here's some solid info on our new #1.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2014/4/28/5650590/jimmie-ward-2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
Phoenix let me get your thoughts... Do u think this 100 percent removes Joyner from there board??? Bethea has basically a 1 yr 5 million dollar deal... I really think they are looking to move up for a receiver tomorrow as well as Trent Murphy... But Joyner would SOLIDIFY our backend for years...

I don't think you'll see Joyner now, no. I could be wrong but I think the next CB they'd be looking at is a guy like Breeland or Desir.

I really thought that the pick would be Lee or Roby so I was kinda upset at first, but then they talked about him having these great cover skills and being able to play nickel corner. body and coverage skills of a corner but plays and hits like a safety. Im ok with that. Think we coulda picked him on day two tho but like I said, im satisfied
Originally posted by martysofresh:
I really thought that the pick would be Lee or Roby so I was kinda upset at first, but then they talked about him having these great cover skills and being able to play nickel corner. body and coverage skills of a corner but plays and hits like a safety. Im ok with that. Think we coulda picked him on day two tho but like I said, im satisfied

Same, really didn't see him as slot guy...
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:

Same, really didn't see him as slot guy...

I wanted us to trade up for Dennard so bad and when he went off the board, I hopped on the Lee train. Every year is a surprise pick when youre a niner fan lol.

Completely agree. He takes the place of Rogers.
[ Edited by TommyFrazier on May 8, 2014 at 9:29 PM ]

Based on what? In 2 of CBS's mock drafts they had him going in the Top 20. In a third, right at #30. If people want to undervalue a player that's fine but his range was and has been late 1st/early 2nd for quite awhile now.
Share 49ersWebzone