LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 194 users in the forums

Does Jimmy Ward remind the 49ers of Earl Thomas

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
So THAAAAAAAAAT's what logical questioning/analysis looks like on the Webzone...

rare sighting huh
Originally posted by Abemaru0:
I keep reading in other places that this draft is deep and we should've traded up for an impact player. In any other draft, Jimmie Ward would be considered a first round pick because of the lack of depth in the draft, but he is a first round talent. The names still left on the board would also be first round picks that are first round talents like Matthews, Robinson, Lee to name a few WR's. Also, for those who might be interested http://www.hustlebelt.com/2014/5/7/5688174/2014-nfl-draft-jimmie-ward-dont-believe-the-height

Good read!
Originally posted by b9er37:
I keep reading in other places that this draft is deep and we should've traded up for an impact player. In any other draft, Jimmie Ward would be considered a first round pick because of the lack of depth in the draft, but he is a first round talent. The names still left on the board would also be first round picks that are first round talents like Matthews, Robinson, Lee to name a few WR's. Also, for those who might be interested http://www.hustlebelt.com/2014/5/7/5688174/2014-nfl-draft-jimmie-ward-dont-believe-the-height

Good read!

Lol this is what I've been telling my friends who were pissed about the pick. Some of the best safeties are 5'10-5'11". If he can play like the lightning rod he was at NIU, Baalke has just set us up at safety for years.
No. It's an insult to Earl Thomas to say Ward even compares. Ward is a vastly inferior prospect. I know they liked him, but this was a reach, and not even a reach for a dire need. 49ers knew he wouldn't make it to the 2nd rounder -- too many teams like Washington, St. Louis, Baltimore ahead of them in the 2nd who needed safeties. I gave Ward a late 2nd-3rd round grade. Late 2nd because of the versatility, but he is risky prospect.

All that said, though.. This isn't as bad as the Jenkins pick, who I tabbed as a 4th round talent, but it is not a great value. I don't hate the player, and I think he's a solid prospect, just felt better players were on the board and that he wasn't worth a 1st.

Overall, it could work out, and Ward could be a pretty good player.
A few points here about Ward...

1) Comparisons to Cam Chancellor are absurd. He is a lot closer to Earl Thomas (due to size, speed, and coverage ability) than Chancellor.

2) The Niners had him as the only player with a first round grade left on their board.

3) This guy is only about 5'10.5" tall but he has a 38" vertical and ran the 3 cone drill in 6.89 seconds. Anyone who says this guy is not athletic enough is not paying attention.

4) I totally agree with MD in that the traditional SS position is now being phased out. Don't think of Ward as a SS. Think of him as a S.

5) In today's NFL, a team can never have enough "coverage guys". The Niners just got one. Be happy.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on May 9, 2014 at 9:31 AM ]
Originally posted by teylo31:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
He was mocked in the 1st round quite a bit actually. Universally projected as a late 1st- early 2nd pick. He played at Northern Illinois, not Illinois. Two different schools.

I was talking about the state. Should have clarified. I know nit picking but a similarity none the less

Wow, how old are you? Are you advocating never drafting anyone from the state of Illinois due to AJ Jenkins?
Originally posted by QBguru:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I hope we didn't draft him to stay a nickel corner and backup safety. You just don't draft 1st round picks to be a backup player. I know, I know, the nickel corner is used 50-60% of the time blah blah blah, I just hope this guy is starting material.

A nickel CB is a starting player nowadays, simple as that. If you can get a guy to fill that role and then develop into a starting safety, you just got tremendous value out of that 1st rounder.

OK. A player who plays 50-60% of snaps is a starter. Not really. You draft a nickel back in middle rounds or hell even the 2nd round, but not the 1st man. If we wanted a corner why not trade up for one who has potential to be the #1 CB. Then draft a nickel guy later. No matter what anyone says a nickelback is not a starter. You draft starters with your first rounder.

Hey genius, he is going to be the starter at safety after this next season. Bethea's guaranteed money in his contract says he is only here for one year.
OK. A player who plays 50-60% of snaps is a starter. Not really. You draft a nickel back in middle rounds or hell even the 2nd round, but not the 1st man. If we wanted a corner why not trade up for one who has potential to be the #1 CB. Then draft a nickel guy later. No matter what anyone says a nickelback is not a starter. You draft starters with your first rounder.

Also, Baalke disagrees with you.

"The nickel's been on the field 60 percent of the time for us," said 49ers general manager Trent Baalke. "So that's a starter in our opinion."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/05/baalke-on-jimmie-ward-dont-mistake-size-for-lack-of-toughness.html#storylink=cpy

You can go tell him he's wrong.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by IEAD:

I don't understand people who keep saying this. If a draft is deep then what's the point of trading up?! Wouldn't it be better to stay put and get just as good of talent later in the draft?

The only reason why trading up made any bit of sense is because we have a whole lot of draft picks. We will use our allotment of picks today to have our choice of any player currently on the board.

So THAAAAAAAAAT's what logical questioning/analysis looks like on the Webzone...

It's rare but you just have to filter thru the BS posts
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
Originally posted by martysofresh:
I really thought that the pick would be Lee or Roby so I was kinda upset at first, but then they talked about him having these great cover skills and being able to play nickel corner. body and coverage skills of a corner but plays and hits like a safety. Im ok with that. Think we coulda picked him on day two tho but like I said, im satisfied

Same, really didn't see him as slot guy...

I wanted us to trade up for Dennard so bad and when he went off the board, I hopped on the Lee train. Every year is a surprise pick when youre a niner fan lol.

Personally i never liked either and i am so glad we did not draft benjiman, lee, verrett (who likes too much like a woman) or dennard.

I remember when I compared AJ Jenkins to Issac Bruce . This time I will say Wards play style reminds me of Ed Reed .
He kinda reminds me of Antoine Winfield. Smaller guy, but very physical in the slot, strong against the run game, hard-nosed player and a high quality tackler.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Interesting thread subject. You think Seadderal moved out of the 1st round because we picked Ward? After reading what Harbaalke said about him, sounds exactly the type of DB they want also. Even if that's not the reason they bailed out of 1st round it makes me happy to think they did because we picked same guy they wanted.

The Seahawks wanted Dominique Easley. It's been reported. Check Twitter.

Oh then the Pats screwed them on a guy they wanted. Just as good.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
No. It's an insult to Earl Thomas to say Ward even compares. Ward is a vastly inferior prospect. I know they liked him, but this was a reach, and not even a reach for a dire need. 49ers knew he wouldn't make it to the 2nd rounder -- too many teams like Washington, St. Louis, Baltimore ahead of them in the 2nd who needed safeties. I gave Ward a late 2nd-3rd round grade. Late 2nd because of the versatility, but he is risky prospect.

All that said, though.. This isn't as bad as the Jenkins pick, who I tabbed as a 4th round talent, but it is not a great value. I don't hate the player, and I think he's a solid prospect, just felt better players were on the board and that he wasn't worth a 1st.

Overall, it could work out, and Ward could be a pretty good player.
For example?
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
No. He's too PUNY. Hate the pick. Coulda Had a few other dudes. Very upset.

This actually makes me feel great about this pick
Share 49ersWebzone