LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

OFFICIAL LIVE DRAFT. Thread

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:
We drafted 12 guys LOL

Right... I didn't think (before the draft) we would go more than 7 and 8 at most. A lot of competition / a lot of guys getting cut
Wow look at MM's comments on Millard:

How he fits: Millard can be used in a lot of different ways. He has value as a linebacker, long-snapper and tight end. In order to stick with the 49ers, he must also be a core special-teams player. It's highly unlikely Millard can challenge starting fullback Bruce Miller, whom the 49ers signed to a contract extension this offseason.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-draft-oklahoma-fb-trey-millard

Had no idea he could play LB and long snapper. That's pretty valuable that he can LS, good to have a backup in case the starter gets hurt. TE is intriguing, maybe he can be our #3 TE, #2 FB and a core ST guy.
Originally posted by LVJay:
We drafted 12 guys LOL

Right... I didn't think (before the draft) we would go more than 7 and 8 at most. A lot of competition / a lot of guys getting cut

well really it's only 9, we drafted 3 guys with ACL injuries that will redshirt.
We drafted 12 guys LOL

all the guys we cut will end up being solid players on other teams watch
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:

How he fits: Millard can be used in a lot of different ways. He has value as a linebacker, long-snapper and tight end. In order to stick with the 49ers, he must also be a core special-teams player. It's highly unlikely Millard can challenge starting fullback Bruce Miller, whom the 49ers signed to a contract extension this offseason.

Had no idea he could play LB and long snapper. That's pretty valuable that he can LS, good to have a backup in case the starter gets hurt. TE is intriguing, maybe he can be our #3 TE, #2 FB and a core ST guy.

I can just imagine -- he snaps the ball (fake punt)... as soon as he hikes the ball, he sprints near the sidelines to catch a wobbly duck by Andy Lee (1st down at the 49 yd line) at CAWK stadium
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lucky_49:
We drafted 12 guys LOL

all the guys we cut will end up being solid players on other teams watch

I can smell it now... while other teams Die Nasty, we'll be on another journey to a DYNASTY
We drafted 12 guys LOL

Two will go to IR correct?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
HarBaalke redemption (Millard) for letting MarQueis Gray slip away
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Two will go to IR correct?

Indeed. You know how Baalke does it... while other teams cry out "waaaaah no fair"

I wouldn't say Millard couldn't challenge Miller at some point.

At any rate, having both next year will be a great help.
The team really missed Miller when he went down.
With Millard, I wouldn't think there would be any drop-off should that happen again.

We drafted 12 guys LOL

well really it's only 9, we drafted 3 guys with ACL injuries that will redshirt.

I think all 9 make the roster too
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
I think all 9 make the roster too

I'm fricken excited (can't wait till TC/preseason)......
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

I wouldn't say Millard couldn't challenge Miller at some point.

At any rate, having both next year will be a great help.
The team really missed Miller when he went down.
With Millard, I wouldn't think there would be any drop-off should that happen again.

You have Anthony Dixon meets Delanie Walker. That's a great asset to have on any team.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Jd925:
Not sure if the draft was that deep... some guys dropped.. but a lot these guys in the late rounds won't be on teams much more than passed drafts... a lot of the talent was there in the first 3 rounds when teams were jumping to trade up.. after that there were a number that fell... few undrafted...

I think this draft was top heavy frankly and since the 49ers didn't jump up may have missed the potential stars in the position of needs... they did get a few potential stars.. very good nickel CB in Ward who will get PT along with Marcus Martin at C..is Goodwin staying?... they have good backups in Hyde/Borland who could start or star in other teams.. other than that the rest might have a chance at being backups or role players... and a number of them cut..

I disagree, this draft was loaded in the middle rounds. The top was pretty flat, after the first 12 picks or so, it just fell off. I think you'll see a ton of quality players emerge from the middle and even late rounds. This was a draft that was rather pointless to trade up in because of the immense talent throughout.

I agree with you now Phoenix. I guess that is why you wait for the ENTIRE draft to conclude before you judge it. At first I didn't understand what the plan was by drafting no CBs at all in the first few rounds. I see Baalke's draft MO clearly now. He just doesn't believe in drafting CBs high. Look at these past years, he has never drafted a CB higher than a 3rd rounder(I don't include Safties in this discussion). We have a system, we draft and sign UDFAs that we feel will fit our system and we get them. This draft was RICH with CB talent. I think it was genius to draft 3 CBs in the middle rounds. All of them won't make the 53, but it will create great competition for the CBs. The best ones survive and make the team.

Look at all the guys we have playing CB for us in the past few years. None of them have been high draft picks(except Rogers, but we never drafted him). I think this turned out to be a great draft after all. I love that this draft CLEARLY shows us that we are sticking to the power running game by drafting a back that looks like Gore incarnate and drafting some solid OL guys in earlier rounds. I love it.

I was pissed we didn't draft WR early either with all the talent, but now that I think about it, where the hell would he fit in right now? I love the Johnson pickup so that pretty much substitutes drafting a guy early. He is better than any guy we draft not named Watkins or Evans. He is a Vet that can help us win NOW. Whereas a rookie most likely wouldn't. I like the Bruce pickup, he is fast and hopefully do kick and punt returns for us and he has a chance to develop behind some great pros.

All in all we strengthened out biggest weakness with the secondary, and added a nickleback who looks promising, along with some solid raw CBs who will provide a HELL of a competition in Camp.

We shored up our OL for the future and picked up a #1 feature back. I think the Martin pick will turn out to be great for us. I see him as a future pro bowler.
I heard that we struck Gold with that Thomas guy if he recovers from injury.

A-
What's the story on Lynch? Supposed to be 1st round talent but he falls all the way to 5th on character concerns? Steal of the draft a scout not connected to the Niners says...
Share 49ersWebzone