There are 190 users in the forums

Draft Geek

This guy generally has some interesting takes. Many of I don't agree with - still this one is fun while we're all waiting for D-Day to start.

16) TRADE! San Francisco 49ers - Odell Beckham Jr (WR L.S.U)

With six picks in the top 100 the 'Niners have made it no secret they're looking to trade up in the first round for a playmaker. Sitting at 30 they likely won't have a chance to grab Watkins or Evans but Odell Beckham has been a popular target for them as the draft's third best receiver. Beckham is an elite playmaker with outstanding agility and home-run threat athleticism and would be an ideal compliment to Michael Crabtree. There's also been talk that Crabtree and San Fran might have issues with a contract extension in the near future which could play a role. San Francisco is only a piece or two away so they have no need to keep stockpiling picks; they need to make a power move and O.B.J is certainly that!

2nd Round

56) San Francisco 49ers - Jordan Matthews (WR Vanderbilt)
Depth depth and more depth. With no glaring holes on the roster and loads of draft picks the 'Niners will continue to replenish their already flourishing talent pool. How does adding the SEC's all-time leading receiver sound?

61) San Francisco 49ers - Phillip Gaines (CB Rice)
San Francisco's biggest need might just be at cornerback where they might end up losing three starters from last year. Phillip Gaines is flying up draft boards as the six foot corner is running sub 4.4 forties coming off his record setting Rice career with 38 passes broken up.

3rd Round

77) San Francisco 49ers - Dominique Easley (DT/DE Florida)
He's blown out his knee twice, but if healthy Easley would have been a top 20 pick. If he somehow gets back to anywhere near 100% this DT/DE combo has immense upside. San Fran is making a habit of taking talented but injured players like this and essentially red-shirting them.

94) San Francisco 49ers - Dakota Dozier (OL Furman)
San Francisco's offense works because their offensive line has been so dominant. They have two elite guards in Iupati and Anthony Davis but it's never a bad idea to deepen the talent pool and draft a versatile tackle/guard combo in Furman's Dakota Dozier

100) San Francisco 49ers - Bishop Sankey (RB Washington)
Simply B.P.A here. San Fran doesn't have a need at running back, but despite the fact the running back position is being devalued I still think a diminutive and productive runner like Bishop Sankey is worth a 3rd or 4th round pick.

4th Round

129) San Francisco 49ers - Will Clarke (DT/DE West Virginia)
Will Clarke is a prospect who has been moving up draft boards as of late. He has the perfect frame (6'6" with long 34 5/8" arms) to fit as a 3-4 five technique, and opened a lot of eyes by running a 4.7 4- at the combine

5th Round

170) San Francisco 49ers - Andrew Jackson (ILB Western Kentucky)
At 260 pounds Andrew Jackson is a heavy hitting 'thumper' of a linebacker. He doesn't have great speed but inside the frameworks of a 3-4 he can focus on being a physical run supporter.

7th Round

242) San Francisco 49ers - Josh Mauro (DT/DE Stanford)
Josh Mauro played a great five technique in Stanford's 3-4 defense which is very similar in scheme to San Francisco's. He's not big or explosive, but he is physical and can eat up gaps with his great leverage.

243) San Francisco 49ers - Hakeem Smith (Safety Louisville) Somewhat of a poor man's Donte Whitner. Hakeem Smith is a heavy hitting strong safety that loves to step up in run support

245 â€" Tyler Starr OLB South Dakota
The Missouri Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Year racked up 71 tackles and nine sacks on the season. Starr also had a fairly solid week at the East Shrine Game.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
That isn't that bad. I have some creeping suspicion that Matthews could be on the teams radar if he falls to the 61-77 range (trade back or up to get him) -- it would be hilarious if Jerry Rice Jr got a ticket to the 90 man roster and we had him and Matthews on the roster at the same time. Good way to drive media / pre-season hype for the fans you know?
Not enough CB help. I think Baalke will trade up in 1st rd, but I'm hoping it's for Fuller, not Beckham. I'll explain later.

Love Matthews. If he's gone, then TB should take Adams. Critical to get a proven producer who can run good routes.

I'd opt for Desir over Gaines...big CB, who has length. He and Fuller would really infuse some good young talent in our secondary.

Ellington would compliment Matthews well...quick, tough slot receiver would give Kap plenty of targets.

I'm hoping Baalke gets a bruiser RB...and extends Hunter.

Think Clarke can be a real steal...
Where is the trade compensation to move from 30 -to- 16?
Originally posted by austrich:

We gave up a 7th round pick, 4 hugs, a box of chocolates, an IOU note and Lamichael James
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by austrich:

We gave up a 7th round pick, 4 hugs, a box of chocolates, an IOU note and Lamichael James

As long as we gave up the box of chocolates, and not the frozen pizza, then I'm cool with it!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm gonna disagree with rounds 2 and below.
Slide Pierre Desir into #77 and move Easley back to #100. We don't need a 5th string RB this season or even 4th string if we trade LMJ.

Don't forget to add how you got from #30 all the way up to #16.
No CB in the 1st 3 rounds=No Bueno...
Phillip Gaines might be one of the most ill-fitting CB's for the 49ers in this draft. One CB taken and he doesn't even fit the system, not a fan at all.

Share 49ersWebzone