LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Your expectations starting today....???

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I take the long view on most things. I expect my team to challenge for a spot in the SB every year (though I realize some years are more realistic than others). But if it doesn't happen, I dust myself off and come back cheering for the team in the same way the next year. This will happen until there's no more breath left in me, so in reality, nothing changes for me from year to year.

Seadderall fans will find out soon enough that their single superbowl will be past history come September. Just like the last five times for me. Once you win the big dance, it's great for an entire offseason, then the new season begins -- all that past history isn't worth much when you have a game this sunday.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Ghost, who's our pick going to be?

1.) I think they'll target Mike Evans but likely won't be able to swing a deal to move up that high
2.) They'll settle for Odell Beckham around 10-15

Man, I hope your right. I've conceded we won't find a partner.

I think the Lions will be in play since they need a ton of help at pass rusher and on their line. They could probably get a DE like Kony Ealy at #30 or a swing lineman like Joel Bitonio or Morgan Moses while picking up a few relatively high picks from us.
Originally posted by Giedi:
our entire defensive backfield (other than guys named Reid) is suspect and our star linebacker is missing a leg at the moment. We have aging WRs and we have a soon to be free agent WR that's going to want his payday come next year. We have an unknown that is going to play center, and we have an aging RB and a guy named Snyder which is another name for a turn stile. Osgood is a one dimensional player and 33 years old. Vetrone is 31 and has absolutely no ability to cover WRs. That's around 10 or 11 by my reckoning.

Whoa! Glass is half empty!

Seriously, I agree that it makes little sense to trade most of the Niner's picks for one guy--especially a WR--in the top 5.

Given the depth of talent at WR, I wouldn't trade up for one at all. I'd only trade up if one of the elite CBs dropped far enough down to make it worthwhile to go up and get him.

This draft appears to be deep enough to make all those 2nd and 3rds round picks very, very valuable. Tonight will be fun to watch, but tomorrow night should rock for the Niners.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
It's Super Bowl or bust every year, obviously. That's the goal.

Answer my questions and clarify your point of view. Also, settle down there, champ. You seem upset.

- Would you be pissed if we traded a 2014 pick for a higher 2015 pick?
- Would you be pissed if we drafted a medical redshirt candidate or someone else unlikely to play in 2014?

No one is upset but it's hilarious that some people want to argue the fact that players like Crabtree and ASmith which may or may not be on the team next year and aging players like JSmith, Gore and Boldin aren't going to have any impact on this team next year.

Could any certain team win the SB next year, of course they can.

Can you win a fight with a guy that has a gun and two swords when all you have is a pocket knife??? Sure you can, but it's certainly going to be harder than if you had a machine gun mounted on a tank....

Of course trading this years picks for next year picks is fine and on the table and I have no problem red shirting players, as long as it's AFTER we land a coupls impact players that can step in from day 1 and help the current roster.

We have enough picks to do both, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Now if you're asking do I think we should trade down and acquire tons of extra draft picks while drafting 12-13 players this year who most won't make the team and May or may not help ala the every year New England Patriots........heck no.

That's not going to help us this season get to where we need to be to win a SB.
[ Edited by CWin4949 on May 8, 2014 at 1:38 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I'm starting to agree, but I think they'll switch their priorities to CB or S if Beckham is gone (unless they like Cooks or Lee). But yeah... suddenly my WR-trade up notion is looking a tiny bit less likely. Too many teams seem hungry for WR's.

We'll see. that's why the draft occurs and sunday occurs. Everything is theory until it becomes fact. Today the draft becomes fact. It is my true hope that the Seadderall/San Francisco rivalry becomes past history with this draft, and we again take our rightful place as NFCW division winner and NFL superbowl winner this year. So that means, I'm crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes that we get *a* player like Mike Evans if not *the* Mike Evans.

1.) I think they'll target Mike Evans but likely won't be able to swing a deal to move up that high

Man, I hope your right. I've conceded we won't find a partner.

I think the Lions will be in play since they need a ton of help at pass rusher and on their line. They could probably get a DE like Kony Ealy at #30 or a swing lineman like Joel Bitonio or Morgan Moses while picking up a few relatively high picks from us.

I think the Titans are prime candidates. The Lions are such a mystery. All they've been talking about is WR, WR, WR. They could take a TE. They could take a CB or S. Such a friggin' mystery with those fools.
I am praying that the Chickens take Kelvin Benjamin (not Tuitt or a Defensive end)

And we trade up for something that Roman will use
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:

Wow. That is exactly what I am thinking.

Who goes first OBJ or Cooks?

Beckham will go first, but Cooks won't last past the Eagles at #22, and will probably go to the Jets at #18 if the two top safeties are already gone.

Again I think the Bills might take Beckham at #9.

If they trade Stevie Johnson, than yah, maybe. But they already have guys like Beckham on the roster (Graham, Woods, Goodwin) and they just traded for ex-Buc Mike Williams, so their WR corps isn't all that bad. If Eric Ebron is there, I think he's a no-brainer pick for them.
I'm starting to agree, but I think they'll switch their priorities to CB or S if Beckham is gone (unless they like Cooks or Lee). But yeah... suddenly my WR-trade up notion is looking a tiny bit less likely. Too many teams seem hungry for WR's.

We'll see. that's why the draft occurs and sunday occurs. Everything is theory until it becomes fact. Today the draft becomes fact. It is my true hope that the Seadderall/San Francisco rivalry becomes past history with this draft, and we again take our rightful place as NFCW division winner and NFL superbowl winner this year. So that means, I'm crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes that we get *a* player like Mike Evans if not *the* Mike Evans.

I've warmed up a lot to Brandin Cooks since his numbers in college were huge. I think I might laugh my ass off if they take Lee since no one is talking about him on the Zone. Wouldn't surprise me if Baalke is in love with a guy no one in the Zone is high on. But we will seeeeee!!!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Seriously, I agree that it makes little sense to trade most of the Niner's picks for one guy--especially a WR--in the top 5.

Given the depth of talent at WR, I wouldn't trade up for one at all. I'd only trade up if one of the elite CBs dropped far enough down to make it worthwhile to go up and get him.

This draft appears to be deep enough to make all those 2nd and 3rds round picks very, very valuable. Tonight will be fun to watch, but tomorrow night should rock for the Niners.

Well true, half empty in a sense, but I'm hoping we hit it big in the UDFA too. I'm pretty sure day 2, the 49ers will dominate the trade wars. Today, depending on a run of WR's, if that happens, they just might sit at 30 and pick a cornerback. Personally I think the WR position is deeper than the CB position. We'll see.

Beckham will go first, but Cooks won't last past the Eagles at #22, and will probably go to the Jets at #18 if the two top safeties are already gone.

If they trade Stevie Johnson, than yah, maybe. But they already have guys like Beckham on the roster (Graham, Woods, Goodwin) and they just traded for ex-Buc Mike Williams, so their WR corps isn't all that bad. If Eric Ebron is there, I think he's a no-brainer pick for them.

Great points. The tight end would be huge. Scott Chandler is such a bum... try starting him in fantasy and watch him run routes.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Cannot agree with that. I doubt seriously that Evans go before #8. We have the picks (perhaps a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 7th) to move up in front of Detroit or the Bills to the 9th or 8th spot. I think that's VERY doable, and we'd still have a slew of picks left to address all kinds of needs.

Isn't that pretty much our whole draft?
Not when we have two 2nds, three 3rds, and three 7ths, not to mention a 4th and 5th. If we made that deal we'd still have a whole draft left. Just how many rookies do you see making this teams 53?

Pay it!

Great points. The tight end would be huge. Scott Chandler is such a bum... try starting him in fantasy and watch him run routes.

Exactly! Chandler isn't that bad if he's your 2nd/3rd option at TE, but as a starter.....

I think the Bills go with Ebron....OR, because guys like Jace Amaro and Seferian-Jenkins will likely be there at #30, they could be open to a trade down too. Maybe.
Cannot agree with that. I doubt seriously that Evans go before #8. We have the picks (perhaps a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 7th) to move up in front of Detroit or the Bills to the 9th or 8th spot. I think that's VERY doable, and we'd still have a slew of picks left to address all kinds of needs.

Isn't that pretty much our whole draft?
Not when we have two 2nds, three 3rds, and three 7ths, not to mention a 4th and 5th. If we made that deal we'd still have a whole draft left. Just how many rookies do you see making this teams 53?

Lifer... you don't think Watkins goes at #2 or #3 (someone moves up, maybe Cleveland up to #2 from #4)?

And then the Raiders take Evans at #5 or someone trades up for him?

That's how I see it.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Well true, half empty in a sense, but I'm hoping we hit it big in the UDFA too. I'm pretty sure day 2, the 49ers will dominate the trade wars. Today, depending on a run of WR's, if that happens, they just might sit at 30 and pick a cornerback. Personally I think the WR position is deeper than the CB position. We'll see.

I, too, believe the draft is deeper in talent at WR than at CB. That's why I would only trade up if an elite CB (i.e., Fuller) dropped to within reach (14-17?).

I would not sacrifice draft picks for WR, since the really elite guys are out of reach and would cost too dearly, and there are a lot of second tier guys who will be available later. One of those guys may turn out to be a real keeper, and the team has other needs to address, as you point out.
Share 49ersWebzone