LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 413 users in the forums

Your expectations starting today....???

my expectations for this draft are we pick some guys that posters really wanted and pick a few that leave some heads being scratched. then we have are obvious posters who pile on and add nothing to the conversation, they'll be all over the head scratching picks and then 12 months from now we'll be talking about how baalke did a great job.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
I have no specific expectations.

I feel entirely comfortable with my lack of expectations.

I would like to see the 49ers draft Jordan Matthews and Jimmie Ward, but I do not expect them to do so.

I think it can be Matthews or Latimer at #30.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CWin4949:

The simple point is, this year we are certain to have the talented player core intact that will undoubtedly be different next year due to the likely losses of a couple key elements to the current roster.

How is this a prediction? We have already lost key elements of last year's roster.

Three starters have been lost: Whitner; Brown, and Rogers. If you count Goodwin as lost, we are down 4 starters.

In addition, Anthony Dixon and Mario Manningham are gone.

Maybe I am confused?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by CWin4949:

The simple point is, this year we are certain to have the talented player core intact that will undoubtedly be different next year due to the likely losses of a couple key elements to the current roster.

How is this a prediction? We have already lost key elements of last year's roster.

Three starters have been lost: Whitner; Brown, and Rogers. If you count Goodwin as lost, we are down 4 starters.

In addition, Anthony Dixon and Mario Manningham are gone.

Maybe I am confused?
plus the fact, to me, all of those guys can easily be replaced. in the case of whitner we have upgrade there in my opinion. goodwin was not good last year and just as we did with our kid long snapper last year, our new center will be younger and we will be fine there
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
plus the fact, to me, all of those guys can easily be replaced. in the case of whitner we have upgrade there in my opinion. goodwin was not good last year and just as we did with our kid long snapper last year, our new center will be younger and we will be fine there

aside from the WR position, I'd definitely like to get replacement draftees for Whitner, Rogers, and Brown. Kilgore, as much as I like his upside, I'd love more depth and talent at this position. I think center is one of the more critical parts of a power run game, that and Tight End.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

aside from the WR position, I'd definitely like to get replacement draftees for Whitner, Rogers, and Brown. Kilgore, as much as I like his upside, I'd love more depth and talent at this position. I think center is one of the more critical parts of a power run game, that and Tight End.
agree with you on all counts. i am sure they will get some good young depth in the center spot and i am sure they will try to find a future safety this year. if they do not find one this year , it is not tragic but should be the top priority next year.i would like to think we are ok at tight end with vance being a year older and better but i would have no issue with a nice tight end in the middle of the draft
I expect a trade up in the first. I expect a trade down (or to next year) in the 2nd or 3rd.
All I expect from Baalke is a surprise.

No matter what we think is gonna happen, it will be something different.

Or not. But that, too, would be a surprise.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't think we'll be able to find a trade partner to nab one of those two guys. But, I pulling for it.

Something tells me neither Cooks or Beckham will be there at 17 (assuming trade with Ravens). I think teams are willing to trade way up for grab them. I'm a bit worried because I really want one of these guys...
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
agree with you on all counts. i am sure they will get some good young depth in the center spot and i am sure they will try to find a future safety this year. if they do not find one this year , it is not tragic but should be the top priority next year.i would like to think we are ok at tight end with vance being a year older and better but i would have no issue with a nice tight end in the middle of the draft

I think for next year (2015 draft) we have all of our picks plus an extra 7th rounder. I can see Baalke trading LMJ plus a 4th rounder for a possible pick in 2015, maybe a 3rd rounder? Point being is that if Baalke has the opportunity to trade down and get picks for next year he'll do it. He's done very well in making sure the extra picks come high in rounds 1 to 4. Anything lower than 4 in my opinion are backup and bench players. If we do well this year and we win the superbowl, I *definitely* can see us trade down out of the first round Next year and get more picks because we will lose almost every free agent player we have. (Like Seadderall did this offseason).
[ Edited by Giedi on May 8, 2014 at 12:36 PM ]

drafting AT LEAST 2 Wide Receivers
Originally posted by pete98146:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't think we'll be able to find a trade partner to nab one of those two guys. But, I pulling for it.

Something tells me neither Cooks or Beckham will be there at 17 (assuming trade with Ravens). I think teams are willing to trade way up for grab them. I'm a bit worried because I really want one of these guys...

It would not be the end of the world to stay put. Plenty of options at WR
As I've said since early-April, I think it is very likely the 49ers make two first round picks that are insta-starters for this team.

But most likely? A trade up for a WR, probably Beckham or Cooks unless the Raiders are feeling generous.
Hate to say it, but we better hit on some of these guys, because the window is closing on the current group of players. Many of these guys are already in their 30's or turning 30 during the year, and that is pretty old for the NFL. Can't believe I am saying that. 30 is old.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pete98146:

If this scenario pans out, Baalke is going to back out of the first round and trade back and get more picks in rounds 2 and rounds 3. Then he'll pick his 7 or 8 players from there and the rest he'll trade for the 2015 draft. As much as I'd like a WR that has Hall of Fame talent, there are some good day 2 WR's that have the speed that we need to make this offense better. Multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds means we can create competition at both CB positions and both Safety positions.
Share 49ersWebzone