There are 210 users in the forums

VPofCarnage better late than never mock

Better late than never. Last year I got almost everything I wanted in the first 3 rounds. Tank & Lemonier were exactly whom I wanted at 40 & 55 respectively, and Reid was tied with Eifert for my favorite player on the board at 19. It was like Christmas! Here's hoping Baalke slides down my chimney and delivers another great draft to soothe the pain of this terrible offseason:

*49ers trade 56 & 2 3rd rounders for pick in mid-high 20's.

24ish: Bradley Roby CB OSU.

30: Louis Nix DT Notre Dame. Steal of the offseason! It is IN FREEKING SANE he's not considered a top 10 pick.

61: Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss.

Pick 100 (comp'): Dri Archer RB Kent State.

4th round - EJ Gaines CB Mizzu.

5th: Brandon Thomas OL Clemson.

7th: BPA, BPA & BPA

[ Edited by VPofCarnage on May 7, 2014 at 9:11 PM ]
I like the way you think. Although I don't want to give up a 2, 3, 3, to get a CB, I like the overall draft you put together.
We have six picks in top 100 and the best you can do is the 5th best CB and the 8-10th best WR?!?! I would be majorly disappointed if this is how this weekend plays out.
extremely disappointed is an understatement if moncrief, a guy who IMO is likely to bust, was the only wide receiver we walked away with.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 7, 2014 at 9:46 PM ]
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
extremely disappointed is an understatement if moncrief, a guy who IMO is likely to bust, was the only wide receiver we walked away with.

He gave us a starter quality CB, which is what most seem to think we need, he gave us a top quality 3-4 end, who can be developed to replace J Smith, and then he gave us a developmental WR, who can be used this year a little bit to stretch the defense, and then maybe take over as a starter in 2-3 years. Then a dynamite return man, then another solid CB for competition.

It is a heck of a good draft.

*Edit*
Whoops, I was thinking Tuitt for some reason, not Nix. But I am still OK with Nix. It's not a bad idea either, if he is available at that spot.
[ Edited by BrianGO on May 7, 2014 at 11:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Diaperfan:
We have six picks in top 100 and the best you can do is the 5th best CB and the 8-10th best WR?!?! I would be majorly disappointed if this is how this weekend plays out.

That certainly would be disappointing, but I happen to think Roby is the 1st-best CB in the draft, and Moncrief will be better than Evans, Benjamin & ODB by 2015. JMHO. Both currently reside in sleeper city USA.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on May 7, 2014 at 10:25 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
He gave us a starter quality CB, which is what most seem to think we need, he gave us a top quality 3-4 end, who can be developed to replace J Smith, and then he gave us a developmental WR, who can be used this year a little bit to stretch the defense, and then maybe take over as a starter in 2-3 years. Then a dynamite return man, then another solid CB for competition.

We can do better than Gaines and Roby (Verrett-McGill, or Fuller-Joyner). We can do better than moncrief alone, although I would be happy if we got him with #77 or #94. Where s the center project? The back up Qb for the next 4 years?Drii archer in the 3rd?
We can do better than Gaines and Roby (Verrett-McGill, or Fuller-Joyner). We can do better than moncrief alone, although I would be happy if we got him with #77 or #94. Where s the center project? The back up Qb for the next 4 years?Drii archer in the 3rd?

Backup QB? I like Connor Shaw; he might be there in the 7th.

Project center? I think Brandon Thomas used to play center.

And Keith McGill is going to be a bad CB IMO. Might be able to play safety, but I'm skeptical of that.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

You're nit picking over favorites. Let's say he got the players you want at the same positions in the same order. Would that be better?

I don't really like the idea of trading into the middle of the first. It seems like a move of desperation, rather than a move of value. It worked for us perfectly last year, but if Reid was anything less than stellar, it would have been a mistake.

I would like to get the center, but that is dependent on what the coaches think of Kilgore. The same can be said of the CB's. The coaches might feel very good about Brock and Culliver. It's a bit confusing why most people act like we are desperate for corners, but "OK, the coaches obviously are happy with Kilgore". Kilgore is EQUALLY as big, if not more, of a question mark as Brock and Culliver. Brock and Culliver have actually PLAYED as starters in the league, while Kilgore has not.

The CB position and the C position are question marks, maybe we draft for starters there, maybe we don't, we don't know what the coaches are thinking about those two positions, although I think the CB's have proven a whole lot more than the C.
Cully is coming off surgery and is a FA after the season. So is Cook, Wright and Cox. We have Brock for 4 years and Morris for 3(?). And it s not like I just mentioned any all pros in that group either. We need two CBs and at least one of them should be competing with the starters this year.

Regardless of the 49ers opinion of Kilgore, it s a rare open roster spot. Why not snag Martin, Swanson or Reichburg with a 3rd round pick?

Cully is coming off surgery and is a FA after the season. So is Cook, Wright and Cox. We have Brock for 4 years and Morris for 3(?). And it s not like I just mentioned any all pros in that group either. We need two CBs and at least one of them should be competing with the starters this year.

Regardless of the 49ers opinion of Kilgore, it s a rare open roster spot. Why not snag Martin, Swanson or Reichburg with a 3rd round pick?

We definitely need at least one corner, but it doesn't HAVE to be our first or second pick. We can get a good suitable corner in the third. It's not like we're getting an All-Pro just because we reach up into the first. They don't just magically get better because we trade up. I don't think there are any WR's or CB's worthy of trading up in the middle of the first, the value isn't there.
And now, all these retard doormat teams are getting all excited with the WR's and CB's and they are f**king up the value. We have to play it smart amid the chaos and dumb team's stupidity. I don't think scrambling for cornerbacks or WR's is the best way to go about this.

Richburg and Martin can be picked with the high second or early third, but that shouldn't change much about our draft strategy.
This is a pretty good draft overall.
I think any trading partner would insist on the #30 pick.

1st rd - Baalke trades up for Dennard or Fuller.

2nd rd - Baalke picks WR from among Matthews, Adams or Latimer. Moncrief just doesn't have the consistency of these guys and replacing Crabtree, the #1 WR will need to have that.

3rd rd - Ellington has close to the same speed as Archer, was very productive and has KR skills. He also has 20+ lbs of muscle over him.

3/4th rd - Like Desir over Gaines...big CB with length.
I can't see us taking Nix at 30. We have needs at other positions and Dorsey and Williams are doing a good/very good job at DT.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I think any trading partner would insist on the #30 pick.

1st rd - Baalke trades up for Dennard or Fuller.

2nd rd - Baalke picks WR from among Matthews, Adams or Latimer. Moncrief just doesn't have the consistency of these guys and replacing Crabtree, the #1 WR will need to have that.

3rd rd - Ellington has close to the same speed as Archer, was very productive and has KR skills. He also has 20+ lbs of muscle over him.

3/4th rd - Like Desir over Gaines...big CB with length.

Desir will most likely not make it to the 3/4 rd, so I see why he went Gaines in that spot. If we don't land Beckham/cook Latimer is next in line, he has all the measurables you want for a WR
Share 49ersWebzone