LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 163 users in the forums

LasVegasWally Mock 1

Hey guys. This is a no-trade draft although I feel there definitely will be more than one. Personally, I'd rather trade back.
This is such a deep draft and loaded w/talent excellent players will fall to us.

Last year we drafted up 3x in the top 100 and we still over-drafted players, BJ Daniels, Marcus Cooper

Round One
#30 Donte Montcrief WR
I think there will be a big run on WR. And I still think he'll be one of the best WR in this draft. There are a lot of WR in this draft who are rated higher BUT - TO was a 3rd round pick - something to think about. Very few people thought TO would turn out that good on draft day. IMO, Montcrief has that potential.

Round Two
#56 Gabe Jackson G 6'4" 330 Mississippi State
Like many here, I think Iupati will be gone after this season. Every team in our division has a ferocious pass rush and very good D-lines. We're still a run first team and this guy can also pass block very well. I think he is going to have a Larry Allen type career.
Rob Rang CBS Sports Demonstrates raw power but surprisingly nimble feet and balance while in pass protection, to mirror quick rushers. Jackson plays w/excellent knee bend and has long arms which helps him stay square and in control of his opponent in pass protection. He's a powerful drive blocker who uses his natural leverage advantage well, showing good leg drive to push defenders off the ball. Despite his girth, Jackson shows good lateral agility and balance to find fits at the second level.

#61 B. Breeland CB 5'11" 197 Clemson
Breeland is a B+ Corner who Donatell will mold into a premier CB

Round 3
#77 Jayleen Watkins CB 6'0" 190 4:41 Florida
Another very athletic, tough as nails CB for Donatell to work his magic. Can play both CB and S.

#94 Kevin Norwood WR 6'2" 198 4:40 Alabama
Soft hands and detailed route runner on a run heavy team.

#100 Kenny Ladler S 6'0" 200 Vanderbilt
Last season 5 forced fumbles, 5 interceptions, 60 solo tackles against excellent competition

Round 4
#129 Craig Loston S 6 217 LSU
Good ball skills, consistently good tackler, hard hitter, played against very tough competition, can also play CB.

Round 5
#170 Taylor Hart DE 6'6" 281 Oregon
Tough as nails, lots of potential

Round 7
# 242 David Fales QB 6'2" 212 San Jose State

#243 John Brown WR/KR/PR 5'10" 179 4:34 Pittsburgh State
45 TD's in 34 starts

#245 Khyri Thorton DT 6'3" 304 Southern Mississippi
Solid player

I know this won't happen but it was fun trying.
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on May 7, 2014 at 5:46 PM ]
Need a impact CB before our 3rd pick...
Originally posted by CWin4949:

No we don't. We have two starting CB's. We are going to be without a starting G and WR after next season. The WR's will go earlier than the CB's in this draft, and we need a stud to replace Iupati.

You may be correct.

I was thinking w/Brock and Culliver we'd do just fine. Also I think Darryl Morris will come on very strong this season.
1st round for Moncrief. oh boy sure does sound like a inflated market for WR
Moncrief plays NOTHING like TO. TO was extremely physical while Moncrief plays extremely soft and not to mention has tons of flaws ie doesnt use his hands at all to catch the ball. Would be a horrible 1st round pick.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 7, 2014 at 5:46 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:

No we don't. We have two starting CB's. We are going to be without a starting G and WR after next season. The WR's will go earlier than the CB's in this draft, and we need a stud to replace Iupati.

We have two starting CBs one coming off a major injury... We have more depth at G than CB and next year is next year, we're playing for this year.
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
Moncrief plays NOTHING like TO. TO was extremely physical while Moncrief plays extremely soft and not to mention has tons of flaws ie doesnt use his hands at all to catch the ball. Would be a horrible 1st round pick.

Not saying he played like TO BUT that TO wasn't highly rated in the draft and he turned into a very good player.

Disagreew/you on Montcrief playing soft. He's a very solid blocker and if we take him we'll both find out.
Did you watch ole miss games? whenever this guy was asked to cross the middle he often heard footsteps and short armed balls. dont think ive ever seen moncrief high point a catch ever. He doesn't naturally attack the ball with his hands which gives him a small catching radius. not to mention he only ran like 3 routes and had one of the highest drop percentages of all top WR prospects. for as big as he is he plays extremely soft so dont expect him to be a 49er. we dont need a bigger version of AJ.

the only receiver we should want from ole miss is laquon treadwell.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 7, 2014 at 6:11 PM ]
Like Loston and Fales, hate the rest.

We have two starting CBs one coming off a major injury... We have more depth at G than CB and next year is next year, we're playing for this year.

The draft is ideally the best player available. We need WR's, OL, DL, and CB's. We 100% need a starting guard and WR after next season. We MIGHT need a starting CB, and we certainly will draft some, but we KNOW we need a WR and G after next season. It is unclear how badly we need a starting CB or C. The team obviously knows whether or not they are committed to those guys or not better than we do, the draft will reveal all.

Most importantly, line wins games.

The draft is ideally the best player available. We need WR's, OL, DL, and CB's. We 100% need a starting guard and WR after next season. We MIGHT need a starting CB, and we certainly will draft some, but we KNOW we need a WR and G after next season. It is unclear how badly we need a starting CB or C. The team obviously knows whether or not they are committed to those guys or not better than we do, the draft will reveal all.

Most importantly, line wins games.

How do we "know" we need a WR and G?? You don't know what's gonna happen, we might resign everyone. What we do know, one of the CBs we pick in this years draft WILL start for us this season....
How do we "know" we need a WR and G?? You don't know what's gonna happen, we might resign everyone. What we do know, one of the CBs we pick in this years draft WILL start for us this season....

It's just the economics. It makes little sense to spend 12 million on Crabtree. It makes even less sense to spend 10 million on Iupati.
Kap and Aldon are priorities, we are already spending a ton on linebackers, there is simply no room left for those two.

I don't see anyone starting over the experienced Brock or Culliver next season. They would have to be lights out steals to start over them in year one.
[ Edited by BrianGO on May 7, 2014 at 6:11 PM ]
Moncrief

It's just the economics. It makes little sense to spend 12 million on Crabtree. It makes even less sense to spend 10 million on Iupati.
Kap and Aldon are priorities, we are already spending a ton on linebackers, there is simply no room left for those two.

I don't see anyone starting over the experienced Brock or Culliver next season. They would have to be lights out steals to start over them in year one.

What happens if one of them goes down?
Share 49ersWebzone