LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 197 users in the forums

2014 NFL Draft Rumors

I have a gut feeling we're going to snag up Marqise Lee. I think he has had a bad rep just because usc receivers don't do well. He is a talented guy who just had a bad season because of injuries and s**tty qb play. I mean Robert Woods had a pretty good rookie year considering the s**tty qbs he had to deal with.
inb4 they draft Bruce Ellington in the first round at #30
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
As anal as Harbaugh and Baalke are about their stuff getting leaked, I take all of the talk about specific spots as to where we are rumored to be interested in with zero validity.

You can guarantee that if they trade up, it will be for a player they have rated #1 at a position of need. They aren't going to settle and trade up for the 2nd or 3rd best WR on their board.

If they move, it's going to be big.

This is nonsense given the #2 WR in this draft is ranked higher by almost everyone than the #1 corner. Trading up for Evans (or Watkins depending on how our board looks) would not be settling and it would be big. You can't guarantee that they won't trade up for the #3 or #4 WR (OBJ or Cooks probably). It may be a better value to trade up for a guy who isn't #1 on our board at their position but is someone we rank higher than other teams.
Originally posted by genus49:
inb4 they draft Bruce Ellington in the first round at #30

• kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
As anal as Harbaugh and Baalke are about their stuff getting leaked, I take all of the talk about specific spots as to where we are rumored to be interested in with zero validity.

You can guarantee that if they trade up, it will be for a player they have rated #1 at a position of need. They aren't going to settle and trade up for the 2nd or 3rd best WR on their board.

If they move, it's going to be big.

Not true at all. It is entirely possible that the 2nd or 3rd best WR on their board could be ahead of the #1 CB, in which case, there would be greater value in moving up to get, for example, the #3 WR as opposed to the #1 CB.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

Kidding...sort of.

Would definitely be earlier than he should go but I think he'd prove to be worth it over the course of his career.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Draft Notes & More...7:12 p.m. ET - Jay Glazer of Fox Sports reports the Browns won't be drafting Johnny Manziel at No.4...The NFL Network reports Clemson WR Sammy Watkins was told by the Lions that they are trying to move up in the draft to take him...Sal Paolantonio of ESPN reports the Eagles are trying to move into the top 10 of the draft to take Clemson WR Sammy Watkins or Texas A&M WR Mike Evans..2:26 p.m. ET - Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports the Titans have a pretty good grade on Central Florida QB Blake Bortles...12:40 p.m. ET Dan Pompei of the Bleacher Report reports the Chiefs are believed to be willing to deal CB Brandon Flowers...8:48 a.m. ET - Ian Rapaport of the NFL Network reports the Bills and the Lions are trying to move up into the top 5 of the draft for a bargain price...8:29 a.m ET - Ian Rapaport of the NFL Network reports the Jets and 49ers are looking to move up in the first round of the draft to take a receiver...7:33 a.m. ET - The Raiders are reportedly willing to take less than trade chart value in an attempt to move down from pick No. 5 in the draft.

All from www.eastcoastsportsnews.com.

The Raiders thing at the tail end of this list is intriguing. If Watkins and Evans are still there at #5, what would Baalke be willing to do? The Niners have more ammunition than most teams. Gonna be interesting.

I'd love to see Watkins but at what the cost? Julio Jones should be an example.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

Kidding...sort of.

Would definitely be earlier than he should go but I think he'd prove to be worth it over the course of his career.

lol you've got to be trolling.

Ellington going earlier than 70 would be Jenkins-esque.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Draft Notes & More...7:12 p.m. ET - Jay Glazer of Fox Sports reports the Browns won't be drafting Johnny Manziel at No.4...The NFL Network reports Clemson WR Sammy Watkins was told by the Lions that they are trying to move up in the draft to take him...Sal Paolantonio of ESPN reports the Eagles are trying to move into the top 10 of the draft to take Clemson WR Sammy Watkins or Texas A&M WR Mike Evans..2:26 p.m. ET - Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports the Titans have a pretty good grade on Central Florida QB Blake Bortles...12:40 p.m. ET Dan Pompei of the Bleacher Report reports the Chiefs are believed to be willing to deal CB Brandon Flowers...8:48 a.m. ET - Ian Rapaport of the NFL Network reports the Bills and the Lions are trying to move up into the top 5 of the draft for a bargain price...8:29 a.m ET - Ian Rapaport of the NFL Network reports the Jets and 49ers are looking to move up in the first round of the draft to take a receiver...7:33 a.m. ET - The Raiders are reportedly willing to take less than trade chart value in an attempt to move down from pick No. 5 in the draft.

The Raiders thing at the tail end of this list is intriguing. If Watkins and Evans are still there at #5, what would Baalke be willing to do? The Niners have more ammunition than most teams. Gonna be interesting.

I think the Raiders and Niners have talked about the possibility. If Watkins falls to 5 we could pull the trigger.

The Lions are so stupid it's unbelievable. They are WR crazy in that franchise. Every friggin year it seems like they are trying to draft the best receiver. They need help everywhere, and yet they are trying to clog up their receiver core. There is more to football than WR's.

I think we are an excellent choice for the Raiders to trade with. The value at 10 - 30 is not that big of a difference. The Raiders could trade with the Lions and get less, or they could trade with us, and get more. We'll see how stupid the Raiders and / or the Lions are.

Originally posted by sfout:

How am I trolling? I said it would be earlier than he should go...but would prove to be worth the pick after actually playing.

Would Tom Brady have been worth a top 5 pick the year he was drafted?

Draft position =/= career production

1 1, 2 , 3, 4. Roundabout.

It will still leave us with 2, 3, 3, 5, 7, 7, 7.

If we get Watkins, the bonus for us, is that we will only be giving up #32 overall next year.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Lets say there is a freak world he is there at 4 (1800 points traditional value) or 5 (1700 points)

We can do it for our 1st (620), KCs 2nd (340), TENs 3rd (205), next years 1st (I think future picks are essentially equivalent to this years round - 1 so 305) and 4th (75).

That is essentially a carbon copy of what ATL gave up so to offset the 4 or 5 pick difference (We pick at 30 not 27 and would be trading up 1 or 2 more spots rather than to #6) it may need to include one more pick from next season like 3 or 5.

By the way I would make the trade in a heartbeat because we'll still have a pick in each of the 2nd and 3rd rounds (+ the 3rd round comp) so it would be like a "normal" draft. I'd be skeptical about the future picks but maybe if they don't have anybody desirable at 61 or 94 they could flip those for futures from 2015).
[ Edited by sfout on May 7, 2014 at 5:38 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:

How am I trolling? I said it would be earlier than he should go...but would prove to be worth the pick after actually playing.

Would Tom Brady have been worth a top 5 pick the year he was drafted?

Draft position =/= career production

They won't stay at #30 anyway so this argument is moot.
For the love of god if some miracle happened and we trade into the top 5 I hope it's for Watkins not freaking Evans
Share 49ersWebzone