There are 374 users in the forums

Dex McDougle-CB-Maryland

Here's another guy flying in under the radar. 5'10", 196, super intelligent cover guy, very good instincts and a natural ball-hawk. Basketball background so he attacks the ball ferociously up in the air. He was basically Captain Maryland and only injury concerns are keeping him from going early. Very smooth in coverage, good hip fluidity, has potential to be a good slot corner. When you talk about an awesome locker room guy, this is the ultimate team guy pretty much, beloved by coaches and teammates alike.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10868956

Intangibles-1-Parents are Dexter and Gina McDougle. Attended meetings, traveled to away games, sat in the coaches' booth during games and mentored members of the team after injuring shoulder senior year. Maryland created Dexter McDougle Ultimate Team Player Award in his honor. Has experience covering kicks. Matured during time at Maryland. Has graduated. Majored in criminology and criminal justice.

Instincts/Recognition-2-Above average route recognition and can run route for receiver. Above average eye discipline and rarely gets caught out of position. Reads receivers and gets head turned head around in time to locate ball when turns and runs. Does a nice job of running receivers off vertical routes. Can be more aggressive at times but takes calculated risks and flashes ability to get early break on ball. Sniffs out screens and beats blockers to the point.

Cover Skills-2-Above average balance and burst. Fluidity is just adequate but recovers quickly when allows separation transitioning out of breaks. Can run with receivers in press and press bail. Can get pushed around by bigger receivers but tough for size and flashes ability to reroute receivers. Plays high and takes too long to transition forward out of backpedal

.Ball Skills-2-Appeared to be developing into a ball hawk before season-ending injury in 2013. Flashes ability to make highlight type play. Above average focus and tracks ball well. Elevates well. Frame raises concerns about ability to compete with bigger receivers for 50-50 balls in the red zone and downfield.

Run Support-2-Fearless and willing to sacrifice body to make play. Above average closing burst and big hitter for size. Takes too long to get off some blocks but not for lack of effort. Plays with a chip on shoulder and willing to take on bigger blockers. Struggles to get bigger ball carriers to the ground when can't build momentum.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 6, 2014 at 10:38 PM ]
Problem is he probably won't make the team. Would be great as a practice squad player to bring along.

We have Brock and Culliver and Cook as locks. We have Wright, Cox and Morris competing for 2-3 more slots. If we draft a CB in the 1st 3 rounds they will be on the team and that makes 4 with 3 vets and McDougal vying for 1-2 slots. Even if we don't draft another CB he will have to beat out 1-2 solid vets. A higher pick will get the benefit of the doubt they will develop and be kept but a late round pick won't.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Definitely worth a thread !

I´m a fan and really liked him during his time in Maryland. I also took him in my most recent mock.

40 Yrd Dash N/A pro day 4.47
10 Yrd Dash N/A
Bench N/A
Vertical N/A pro day 37
Broad N/A pro day10´02"
20 Yrd Shuttle N/A
3-Cone Drill N/A

Notes: instinctive, explosive, good tackler, st experience, good balance, has excellent speed and quickness, best suited to play inside but can also line up outisdevery competitive. 2013 season was cut short by a shoulder injury

I pushed my luck a little and took him as an UDFA because of his injury and the amount of talent this year. But I could easily see him taken in round 6 - 7.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Problem is he probably won't make the team. Would be great as a practice squad player to bring along.

We have Brock and Culliver and Cook as locks. We have Wright, Cox and Morris competing for 2-3 more slots. If we draft a CB in the 1st 3 rounds they will be on the team and that makes 4 with 3 vets and McDougal vying for 1-2 slots. Even if we don't draft another CB he will have to beat out 1-2 solid vets. A higher pick will get the benefit of the doubt they will develop and be kept but a late round pick won't.

How do you figure Cook is a lock? Wasn't he signed for the minimum for only 1 year. The only true lock is Brock. As fans, we don't know Culliver's medical and police reports or his mental state. As most, we remember the pre-superbowl CB who was holding his own against Megatron and Fitzgerald, and want him on this team, but outside the top 2, there needs an infusion of talent. This is a 2 CB minimum for me.
He's one of my favorite sleepers...A late round steal.
Share 49ersWebzone