LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Maiocco: Niners aren't very high on the CB's. Target is a WR on a trade up.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
welp our pass defense gonna suck ass with no cb's and no aldon smith

If you don't count Brock, Culliver, Wright........sure.

so a guy coming off an acl surgery, a first time full year starter, and our 5th db last year?
Originally posted by ads_2006:
so a guy coming off an acl surgery, a first time full year starter, and our 5th db last year?

Wright is an experienced NFL starter, has a year under with the team under his belt now. If the 49ers were content to only bring in Cook in FA, that tells me they feel pretty good about Culliver's prognosis, this isn't the 80's anymore after all, ACL tears are no longer the death knell for a career. Brock is a first time starter but looked good enough that there's no reason to think that he can't lock down that spot for awhile. Then you have Cox, Morris, Cook, throw in a draft pick or two to compete for a spot and there you go.
im thinking they take brandin cooks--and convert him into a cornerback
Originally posted by hofer36:
im thinking they take brandin cooks--and convert him into a cornerback

That's just stupid..........................................they're gonna make him a tight end, duh.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Youngone:
Keep in mind this is the deepest draft in 50 years....

That remains to be seen. If you can really identify a can't miss prospect, you need to go and get them. As it stands the Niners don't have very many holes....and they have a lot of picks. So there's a danger that the picks get wasted when you don't even have room to sign them. A little bit of consolidation upwards needs to happen.
By diversifying and stacking positions, the 49ers can ensure they get starting-caliber players, and even a couple elite players in this draft with the number of picks they hold. They can still do this by trading a pick or two to move up.

The 49ers, in a deep draft, would be wise to make 9 or 10 selections and have them compete. We don't expect every rookie to make the team, sure, but your strategy should never be to only draft the number of possible openings on your team. You want every man to compete so the best player wins the job. Furthermore, you never know when an injury can occur, or.. an off-field incident..

Good teams stack, plan, and bolster their whole roster and practice squad with quality depth. It's a detailed process and requires excellent strategics. Baalke has said before, "You can never have too many draft picks." He's not inclined to throw them away if it's not necessary. We try to get the guys we want, but within reason, and I agree with this approach.

I used to think it was a really deep draft, but as I looked closer I realized most of it was hype. I think last year's draft class was deeper.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

I used to think it was a really deep draft, but as I looked closer I realized most of it was hype. I think last year's draft class was deeper.

I actually disagree. After completing the Big Board, I find approximately 50 potential draft-worthy prospects slipping out, simply due to the depth at a number of positions.

I disagree, there's about 40+ guys who are 1st rounders in pretty much any other draft. Not a ton of talent in the Top 10 but the top talent runs all the way through to the mid 2nd round and beyond.
I would not give up a 2nd or 3rd for becham...horrible move imo. If he is there at 30 fine.

I disagree, there's about 40+ guys who are 1st rounders in pretty much any other draft. Not a ton of talent in the Top 10 but the top talent runs all the way through to the mid 2nd round and beyond.

Here's how I see it with a few positions (I'm using popular rankins; not mine):

Milliner = Gilbert
Hayden > Dennard
Xavier Rhodes > Kyle Fuller
Darius Slay < Verrett
Johnthan Banks < Jaylen Watkins
David Amerson >>> Stanley Jean-Baptiste
Jamar Taylor >>> Keith McGill

CB class looks close, but I'd give the edge to 2013

Sheldon Richardson >>>>>> Aaron Donald
Star Lotulelei >>> Ra'Shede Hageman
Sharrif Floyd > Timmy Jernigan
Sylvester Williams = Daquan Jones
Kawann Short >>> Ego Furguson
Bennie Logan > Daniel McCullers
Johnathan Hankins >>> Anthony Johnson

Advantage 2013

Kenny Vaccaro = Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (don't like either)
Eric Reid >>> Calvin Pryor
Matt Elam >>> Deone Bucannon
John Cyprien > Jimmie Ward
D.J. Swearinger < Terrence Brooks
Tyrann Mathieu = Lamarcus Joyner

Edge: 2013
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on May 6, 2014 at 11:43 PM ]

so deep put her ass to sleep
I don't know what the crap happened; I keep editing my post 'cause I mis-typed, and it keeps getting screwed up. I'll just re-post: ...

Here's how I see it with a few positions (I'm using popular rankins; not mine):

Milliner = Gilbert
Hayden >>> Roby (I hated Hayden last year)
Trufant >>> Dennard
Xavier Rhodes > Kyle Fuller
Darius Slay < Verrett
Johnthan Banks < Jaylen Watkins
David Amerson >>> Stanley Jean-Baptiste
Jamar Taylor >>> Keith McGill

CB class looks close, but I'd give the edge to 2013

Sheldon Richardson >>>>>> Aaron Donald
Star Lotulelei >>> Ra'Shede Hageman
Sharrif Floyd > Timmy Jernigan
Sylvester Williams = Daquan Jones
Kawann Short >>> Ego Furguson
Bennie Logan > Daniel McCullers
Johnathan Hankins >>> Anthony Johnson

Advantage 2013

Kenny Vaccaro = Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (don't like either)
Eric Reid >>> Calvin Pryor
Matt Elam >>> Deone Bucannon
John Cyprien > Jimmie Ward
D.J. Swearinger < Terrence Brooks
Tyrann Mathieu = Lamarcus Joyner

Edge: 2013

Austin <<<<<<< Watkins
Hopkins = Evans
Patterson > ODB
Hunter = Cooks > everyone else above 'em both
Woods > Benjamin
Dobson > Latimer
Terrence Williams < Matthews
Keenen Allen > Lee

DE Class: wash
TE Class: 2013 by a mile
OT class: 2013 depth (2014 is better at the top)
OG Class: 2013 by a light year

Can't see how anyone could possibly see 2014 as deeper than last year's draft.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on May 6, 2014 at 11:58 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:
you gotta love the misinformation that surrounds the draft.

smokescreenzzzz
Share 49ersWebzone