LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 404 users in the forums

Maiocco: Niners aren't very high on the CB's. Target is a WR on a trade up.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Benjamin is 6-5 240, not 250. His playing weight was about 235, so the stuff people say about him "eating his way out of the league" is really overblown. I like Benjamin's raw potential and I think the 49ers do too. Again, that list is what I think the 49ers rate them. He's a boom or bust prospect. He flashes playmaking ability alike to a young Plaxico Burress, but if he busts, he could be just like Baldwin.

Solid early 2nd round grade, but too risky for a first, in my opinion.

Ah thanks for the clarification, I'll remember not to rely on wikipedia for anything again.

I agree with this analysis although I wish we played Baldwin and Patton more last year.
Originally posted by matt49er:
maybe Baalke is confident we can get a very good CB or 2 in rounds 2-4. I still would prefer to see us go up and get Gilbert.

That would be my ideal scenario. I just dont see him getting past Detroit at 10. That means we would have to likely trade to 9 or higher. Dont see Baalke ever doing that, unfortunately.

Why cant we have the playoffs of the past few years and ALSO have our top ten picks from 2006-2010
Originally posted by Clarity:
Originally posted by matt49er:
maybe Baalke is confident we can get a very good CB or 2 in rounds 2-4. I still would prefer to see us go up and get Gilbert.

This guy?

Not a fan of his coverage skills.

Gilbert looked solid in the highlights. I do think he has holes in his game, but ultimately I think he will improve. He has the ability to be a very good DB and he definely brings more to the table with his return abilities.

All that being said though, the cost to get him might not be worth it.

But that being said too, I think he would be much better in our defense than say some others that he could go to.

Still, I wouldn't like to us us give up too much to land him when Verrett, could be better value and even though he would fill a different need.

We'll all know in just a couple days
Yeah...it'd be nice if the draft started now.
[ Edited by Clarity on May 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM ]
So let me get this straight. The FO isn't enamored with any of the top prospects, yet, they let half of our secondary leave in FA. They then signed a couple of scrubs who either hardly played last season or are better know for getting burnt like toast then guarding opposing WRs. As of know they are going to start a guy with like 6 starts under his belt and another guy coming off of ACL surgery with all kinds of off the field issues.

I just don't get it. If they didn't like the CB prospects coming out of the draft this season they should have taken a significantly more aggressive approach in FA. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but this strategy is puzzling and concerning to me. Our secondary is a huge question mark at this point and that isn't good when you're trying to win a SB.
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
So let me get this straight. The FO isn't enamored with any of the top prospects, yet, they let half of our secondary leave in FA. They then signed a couple of scrubs who either hardly played last season or are better know for getting burnt like toast then guarding opposing WRs. As of know they are going to start a guy with like 6 starts under his belt and another guy coming off of ACL surgery with all kinds of off the field issues.

I just don't get it. If they didn't like the CB prospects coming out of the draft this season they should have taken a significantly more aggressive approach in FA. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but this strategy is puzzling and concerning to me. Our secondary is a huge question mark at this point and that isn't good when you're trying to win a SB.

I believe they know there are several younger DBs in this draft in rounds 2 to 4 they believe they can upgrade Brown and Rodgers at while getting cheaper and younger and we will draft a couple. Also Cully is going to be all the way back come September and Brock balled and Wright will have a full offseason with us. We have talent and depth (Morris and Cook) but we will draft a couple as well. If we are moving up though for a first rounder and a game changer and a player we can utilize that 5th year option on it has to be a WR! The WRs like Watkins Evans Beckham and Cooks can help us to dictate to Earl Thomas and can help us score in SEA. Our defense hasn't been the problem. Our offense has and we need someone other than VD backing up those safeties and I want Cooks. I think this guy is worth moving up for and opting in for in 5 years. I don't see that in any of the DBs but then I ain't a scout either! Only thing is Kap might need a WR with a larger catch radius than Cooks because some of his pitches are wild and we need a real red zone threat. KB?? Man, I just don't know!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on May 6, 2014 at 5:49 PM ]
Originally posted by TTown9ers:

They upgraded at SS. Brock played just as well if not better than Brown and Rogers last year and the last time Culliver played a whole season for us he was the best CB we had. Cox and Wright are both solid. There's a reason Rogers and Brown weren't signed for a few weeks into free agency, they really aren't that good. I'm sure there's lots of CB prospects they really like but none of them are worth trading up for because the talent gap isn't as wide as it is with the WR's this year.
Originally posted by DeUh:
100 percent certain at this point that we will go CB 1st.

I really hope so.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Cool. Don't trade up.

If the Niners don't trade up, what are the chances that Marqise Lee falls to them?
Report: Chiefs thought to be open to dealing CB Brandon Flowers http://t.co/L3Y8e8kY9u

Evans is starting to grow on me. I wouldn't mind getting him. Not high on cooks unless he is available in the 2nd.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If true about the Niners wanting to trade up, I hope they don't fiddle around. Get the guy, including sweetening the pot to get the deal done. We have to come away with an elite WR, be it Evans or Beckham.
like i said before, the niners don't place a high value on corners. they'll start looking at corners in the late 2nd or 3 round and on. I think they take a WR with their first pick.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Evans is starting to grow on me. I wouldn't mind getting him. Not high on cooks unless he is available in the 2nd.

Evans is a mismatch nightmare, pair him up with another speedier wr and we are good to go
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by English:
Cool. Don't trade up.

If the Niners don't trade up, what are the chances that Marqise Lee falls to them?

please god no
Share 49ersWebzone