There are 295 users in the forums

The 49ers are looking for a true deep threat WR. Who's the truest one in the draft?

The 49ers are looking for a true deep threat WR. Who's the truest one in the draft?

• Rascal
  • Veteran
The lethality of Paul Richardson is just so multi-faceted :

• Ability in getting off the line
  • Amazing side step
  • Insane acceleration and top speed
  • He plays way bigger than his 6' stature the way he jumps and highpoints the ball
  • Unreal dexterity and athletic prowess in making diving catches
  • Last but not least, his run after the catch is just something else and second to none

Let's take a look at his clips again :

What Baalke had best do first and foremost is find a WR worthy of being Crabtree's replacment...seems more likely MC walks vs re-signs. Matthews, Adams, Latimer all had consistent production.

A speed WR should be viewed as a complimentary receiver. Richardson's not the guy we need...he has speed, yes, but is thin and not tough or strong enough for Harbaugh's offense. Dude's an uwilling blocker...that won't get it in the NFC West. Someone like Bryant, who combines size and speed seems more of a long-term downfield receiver we need.

Despite all the hype over Beckham, he's not a #1 receiver...maybe not even a #2. He has a very good all-around game, but at 5-11, 195 his strength and toughness will be challenged big-time. I'd say he projects more as a slot receiver than anything. Which is fine, but not as a #1 pick...and not when finding a replacement for Crabtree is crucial.
In terms of having top-end speed, being able to catch the ball and run quality routes?

1. Sammy Watkins-Best receiver in the hands, ferocious competitor, reliable hands and outstanding separation ability.

2. Brandin Cooks-Terrific hands, route runner, speed and explosiveness down the field.

3. Robert Herron-Great speed and quickness, quality route runner, good separation skills, average hands.

Both Richardson and Bryant have problems with drops and holding on to the ball. Richardson struggles to make difficult catches. Very Ted Ginn like at times. Bryant will make difficult catches but drop easy ones.

Beckham has top-end quickness but not top-end speed. He would still be a nice addition as an intermediate-deep receiver and well worth a 1st rounder when you consider his myriad of abilities.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
What Baalke had best do first and foremost is find a WR worthy of being Crabtree's replacment...seems more likely MC walks vs re-signs. Matthews, Adams, Latimer all had consistent production.

A speed WR should be viewed as a complimentary receiver. Richardson's not the guy we need...he has speed, yes, but is thin and not tough or strong enough for Harbaugh's offense. Dude's an uwilling blocker...that won't get it in the NFC West. Someone like Bryant, who combines size and speed seems more of a long-term downfield receiver we need.

Despite all the hype over Beckham, he's not a #1 receiver...maybe not even a #2. He has a very good all-around game, but at 5-11, 195 his strength and toughness will be challenged big-time. I'd say he projects more as a slot receiver than anything. Which is fine, but not as a #1 pick...and not when finding a replacement for Crabtree is crucial.

If you are talking about replacing Crab, then it will have to be Davante Adams. In the 2013 season, he was No.2 in total receiving yards, but No.1 in scoring with 24 TDs, that is 8 TDs more than the nearest competing WR who is Brandon Cooks with 16 TDs. He plays extremely physical and is big and strong enough to compete with the biggest DBs.

[ Edited by Rascal on May 6, 2014 at 9:06 AM ]
Richardson has a lot of Marvin Harrison in him.

Really injury concerns are the only thing holding him back from being a round 1 receiver imo.
Let's face it, we'd all love to get Watkins BUT that's not in the cards - IMO.

Speed is essential and so is the ability to beat press coverage on a consistent basis.

I wasn't really big on Cooks but the more I look at him the more I like him.

IMO, we have to get 2 WR in this draft and 2 CB.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Speed is essential and so is the ability to beat press coverage on a consistent basis.

I must be in the minority then, I actually don't want Watkins at all. I'd be happy if we pulled it off but watching Watkins play I never got the kind of excitement I got watching AJ Green or even our own Crabtree.

I did admittedly discount Julio but that was during his sophomore year and I just never gave him a chance after that so that is why I'm not a NFL scout
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I must be in the minority then, I actually don't want Watkins at all. I'd be happy if we pulled it off but watching Watkins play I never got the kind of excitement I got watching AJ Green or even our own Crabtree.

I did admittedly discount Julio but that was during his sophomore year and I just never gave him a chance after that so that is why I'm not a NFL scout

I am not crazy on Watkins neither and I also say we have to and hopefully will pick 2 WRs and 2 CBs.
Share 49ersWebzone