LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

The 49ers are looking for a true deep threat WR. Who's the truest one in the draft?

The 49ers are looking for a true deep threat WR. Who's the truest one in the draft?

I like all the top five as the best deep threat options in the draft but being that the 49ers only have 1 pick in the first round and all of these are potential 1st rounders there's only 1 deep threat you can select. Pick who you would want if you had to choose 1 and why.

P.S. Have fun with this. The draft is only 2 days away!
[ Edited by KaeperVICK_7 on May 6, 2014 at 4:03 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
The TRUEST deep threat ? For me that is Martavis Bryant. He will not do anything else for you, at least for the first 2 seasons, but he can sure stretch the field. Quick footwork at the line of scrimmage, accelerates in a heart beat and very fast.
[ Edited by DeUh on May 6, 2014 at 4:23 AM ]
Martavis Bryant for me as well and it isn't really close. Paul Richardson is another WR who should be on the list ahead of most of these guys.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
That is one heck of a good question. But, first thing first, let's establish what is the "truest" definition of a deep threat wideout. Obviously different people will have a different point of view, but for me is more than just speed. The way I visualize a true deep threat WR is one that is fast enough to get downfield, but also having enough size probably most importantly height, reach as in catching radius and athletic ability to be able to out-jump or out-reach DBs to make the big play.

DeUh mentioned Martavis Bryant, I can honestly say he won't be too far wrong. The guy is 6'4", runs a 4.40 40 and in the 2013 season held the longest average yards per catch in all of college football. So, likewise, for me, Martavis Bryant is definitely one of them. The other obvious choice for me has to be Mike Evans.These 2 represent my own prototypical deep threat WR type if you will. But, there are others who may be faster, but smaller, your DeSean Jackson type, my question then is whether the person can play above his size ? One such person comes to mind, Paul Richardson, this guy is not only fast, he plays physical and truly competes for the ball to make that big play.
[ Edited by Rascal on May 6, 2014 at 5:57 AM ]
Bryant is probably the best deep threat...but he's also one dimensional which hurts him in the long run.

I'd say overall it's Watkins. His speed and well rounded ability allows him to get up the field very well and doesn't tip the defense of it every time because he can do a lot more than go deep.

Basically the best deep threats are guys who have the speed and ability to do it but can threaten defenses in other parts of the field so the D can't sit on that route for them.
For me, it's Paul Richardson without a doubt. Nobody else in this draft threatens the back end of defenses like him.
Mike Evans
Richardson.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Richardson.

the guy can Fly down field ...wonder if he would be available in the 3rd round?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
So far so good, it seems like most are in agreement with Martavis Bryant and Paul Richardson, let's just hope the 9ers see it that way too.

You don't need to be a burner to be a deep threat. The 49ers have 2 starting possession receivers. We need to be able to go deep. Jerry Rice caught a lot of deep balls and he had average speed. Receivers like Mathews and Moncreif and Latimer have enough speed to go deep and can hurt you short and over the middle as well.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
You don't need to be a burner to be a deep threat. The 49ers have 2 starting possession receivers. We need to be able to go deep. Jerry Rice caught a lot of deep balls and he had average speed. Receivers like Mathews and Moncreif and Latimer have enough speed to go deep and can hurt you short and over the middle as well.

Personally, I'd love a WR that could do it all like Rice could.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
If we take Kyle Fuller or Verrett in the 1st expect us to take Richardson in the second because as many have said he is definitely a more viable deep threat than most mentioned.
It's Paul Richardson and it's not really close in my eyes as far as specializing in stretching the field vertically. I feel like his game speed is faster than anyone elses in this draft and he knows how to work coverages. Very, very similar to Desean Jackson.

[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 6, 2014 at 7:55 AM ]
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
It's Paul Richardson and it's not really close in my eyes as far as specializing in stretching the field vertically. I feel like his game speed is faster than anyone elses in this draft and he knows how to work coverages. Very, very similar to Desean Jackson.

The problem with Paul Richardson is he looks beanpole, AJ Jenkins, skinny. Not much of a deep threat if it takes you 4 seconds just to get off the line of scrimmage against press coverage.
Share 49ersWebzone