There are 632 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The "Pumped for Thursday" Mock Plan

• GEEK
  • Veteran
NFL Draft:

R1: Jason Verrett - CB - TCU

*Our SB secondary starters are no longer on the team - 4 players gone in a span of two years. We need to infuse new blood into an area with a lot of question marks (Culliver? Cook? Wright?).

While Verrett lacks ideal size, he makes it up with his play on the field. Ball hawk, rangey corner, and has elite speed for the position. At worst, he's a slot corner. At best, he starts opposite of Brock.

49ers trade 2nd and 3rd round draft picks for Ravens 2nd and 6th round draft picks.

R2: Donte Moncrief - WR - Ole Miss (via Ravens)
*While many people may disagree, I think Moncrief can double as our deep threat. 6-2 with 4.4 speed, Moncrief is still raw with the technical elements of the position - route running and concentration. But he has a high ceiling with a good staff and mentors already on the roster.

R2: Pierre Desir - CB - Lindenwood (via Chiefs)
*We double down on secondary with a raw, but capable prospect. Desir has high mental IQ and a physically sound frame to succeed in our scheme. Long arms, good footwork, but needs to play tougher on D.

You may not like the pick now, but when Wright, Cox, and Culliver are free agents, you would have wished we double downed on CB early.

R3: Marcus Smith - DE/OLB - Louisville (via Titans)
*A nice blend of power and speed, coverage and pass rush, and high upside with good measurables that equates to a fit for our defense. I wouldn't be surprised to see Brooks play ILB in our 4-2-5 scheme with 3 Smiths and Carradine on the DL. Gives Fangio a lot of options.

R3: Dri Archer - RB/WR/ST - Kent State (comp)
*Our version of McCluster, Archer will stretch the field and provide value on special teams. Goodbye LaMichael James.

R4: Antone Exum - CB/S - Virginia Tech

*Strong physical skills with coverage ability that makes him the perfect backup swing safety. Goodbye Craig Dahl.

49ers trade LaMichael James and 6th round draft pick for Vikings 5th round draft pick.

R5: Russell Bodine - C/OG - North Carolina (via Vikings)
*Strong center with guard ability, Bodine competes with Kilgore for the starting center spot.

R5: Brock Coyle - ILB - Montana
*Rangey linebacker that can be a potential starter on our team. Natural leader and should be a standout special teams player.

R7: Trey Millard - FB/TE - Oklahoma (via Packers)
*We all know why.

R7: Josh Stewart - WR/ST - Oklahoma State (via Panthers)

*Competes for the final roster spot, but most likely ends up on the practice squad. Punt return abilities.

R7: Alex Bayer - TE - Bowling Green

*Blocking TE that may bump Celek off the roster.

Depth Chart -

QB: Kaepernick/Gabbert
RB: Gore/Hunter/Lattimore/Archer*
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/McDonald/Bayer*

WR: Crabtree/Patton
WR: Boldin/Lloyd
WR: Moncrief*/Osgood

LT: Staley/Martin
LG: Iupati/Looney
C: Kilgore/Bodine*
RG: Boone/Snyder
RT: Davis

LE: Smith/Carradine
NT: Dorsey/Williams
RE: McDonald/Jerrod-Eddie

OLB: Smith/Skuta/Smith*
ILB: Willis/Moody
ILB: Wilhoite/Coyle*
OLB: Brooks/Lemonier

CB: Brock/Desir*
CB: Culliver/Verrett*/Carr*
FS: Reid/Spillman
SS: Bethea/Exum*/Ventrone

ST: Dawson, Lee, McDormett
Best mock I have seen. I have been thinking of posting a mock very similar to this. I love the first three picks plus the Exum pick. Way to go.
I could live with this.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like it, but would rather take Latimer instead of Moncrief at this point. Otherwise, looks good.
Very good, and very realistic too.
Not bad Geek, it rhymes with Reek.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
thank you for the kind words everyone
Nice mock but I think we may move up for O. Beckham
I think he's the best wr in the draft (more potential)
If we stay put at 30 then I wouldn't mind this at all! Nice mock
good job
I wouldn't be mad at this one - would prefer a few other guys over Varrett and Montcrief- but we never get the guys we want in a draft and this and would be good.
Whenever I see the name Dri Archer in any mock I am bound to be "pumped' !!

Good job !!
I just don't see Baalke taking a raw prospect like Moncrief that early. Not when he's got to find someone to replace Crabtree. Matthews, Adams, Latimer...all these guys have great numbers, size, speed and were consistent producers.

Archer's got speed...and no size. Ellington or Herron have the quickness to play slot receiver and KR skills...and both are close to 200 lbs. It's about survival in the NFL and a little guy like Archer could have a tough time.

Apart from your mock, I don't get why some think Beckham's the best WR in this draft. He's a fine player, but at 5-11, 195 can he be a #1 or #2 receiver? I'd say probably not...so it comes back to why would Baalke trade up to draft a #3 WR with his 1st pick???
I like it. Much rather see them get a CB in the 1st and trade up for their WR in the 2nd.

Not sure if they need to draft a WR, TE in the 7th if they draft Archer who may eventually play the slot, and Millard who could be the 3rd TE. Would like to see OG like Long or another CB selected. But great draft.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
Nice mock but I think we may move up for O. Beckham
I think he's the best wr in the draft (more potential)
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I just don't see Baalke taking a raw prospect like Moncrief that early. Not when he's got to find someone to replace Crabtree. Matthews, Adams, Latimer...all these guys have great numbers, size, speed and were consistent producers.

Archer's got speed...and no size. Ellington or Herron have the quickness to play slot receiver and KR skills...and both are close to 200 lbs. It's about survival in the NFL and a little guy like Archer could have a tough time.

Apart from your mock, I don't get why some think Beckham's the best WR in this draft. He's a fine player, but at 5-11, 195 can he be a #1 or #2 receiver? I'd say probably not...so it comes back to why would Baalke trade up to draft a #3 WR with his 1st pick???

Well we have Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, and Lloyd on the roster right now. Outside of the first round, you'll encounter rawer players - that's the nature of the draft.

I think Moncrief will be serviceable in his first year, but he can develop under Crabtree and Boldin in year 1. We don't expect him to start until year 2 at the earliest. So I don't understand the fuss.