LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

JamesGatz83's 2014 49ers Mock

Originally posted by CWin4949:
I could skip school completely and still know that Lee is NOWHERE near #30 value and can name at least 3-5 better options at #30 not only at WR but overall positions in general.

Point is moot though, we're not going to be picking at #30 and we sure as heck aren't taking Lee.

You do realize that naming 3-5 better options at #30 at WR would be more impressive/meaningful than naming #3-5 better options in general, right? The way you structured your sentence (not only... but), it sounds like you're trying to say that naming 3-5 better options in all positions is a bigger deal (maybe you shouldn't skip school). Personally, I don't want Lee, but he's an early 2nd round value at the latest and you're overreacting.

I like Bucannon and Desir a lot. Bucannon needs to work on his coverage skills and angles, but he wouldn't be expected to start right away and seems like a high character player. He was a 3 time team captain, has good length and athleticism, was a 4 year starter, and is only 21 years old.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on May 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM ]
We shall see

See what? You can say that about pretty much any player. Nobody knows what the 49ers are going to do but the guys in the war room, pretending otherwise and then coming back and saying "see, I told you so" is meaningless. We don't know if they are trading up, down, staying pat....anything is just a guess at this point.
Sorry, not going to waste 30 mins making a list and arguing over which WRs are better than Lee, when it doesn't even matter.

We can revisit this in 3 years if you like....

Like I said, point is moot, we're not taking Lee and we won't stay at #30...

Thanks for joining the thread. Your contributions have been insightful and thought provoking.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Not really a fan of Bucannon, and especially not of Skov. I think the 49ers need a guy who is better able to drop into coverage to offset the loss of Bowman. That said, I do like the other picks up until the 7th. Lee, Joyner, Desir, Fales, all good prospects that I'd be happy with. In the 7th I'd rather see a guy like Millard who is a true h-back prospect and not more RB's. Millard is also a lot more polished than a guy like Whitlock and would have been a much earlier pick had he not suffered the ACL injury.

This year I look at the 7th especially as a chance to buy low, pick up guys who have dropped down the boards due to injury issues, stuff them on IR and let them come back and compete for a spot next season.

Glad you popped in here, Phoenix.

Would be curious to hear your take on Bucannon and Skov--and some alternatives too.

I like Bucannon a lot. To me, he's Whitner minus a little speed but with ball skills.

Skov is a little stiff and not a great athlete by any means, but I would like him at that spot. I also considered Christian Jones, who's a much better athlete, but he struggled mightily at ILB and had to be moved outside this past year.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

Would be curious to hear your take on Bucannon and Skov--and some alternatives too.

I like Bucannon a lot. To me, he's Whitner minus a little speed but with ball skills.

Skov is a little stiff and not a great athlete by any means, but I would like him at that spot. I also considered Christian Jones, who's a much better athlete, but he struggled mightily at ILB and had to be moved outside this past year.

My big draft crush at ILB in this draft is Lamin Barrow. He's tough, instinctive, has experience in coverage and the athleticism to handle that role. Slightly undersized but was a leader on LSU's defense. Xavius Boyd is an interesting prospect for late in the draft or UDFA as well. Perhaps the biggest issues resulting from Bowman's injury are the loss of his abilities in coverage. I feel that if the 49ers are going to draft an ILB, they'd favor a guy who can drop back into coverage over a veritable thumper which they already have in Willis.

I do think Bucannon is a good possibility for the 49ers though, size, length, athleticism, they are all there and he wouldn't have to start for a year or two either.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 5, 2014 at 4:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
My big draft crush at ILB in this draft is Lamin Barrow. He's tough, instinctive, has experience in coverage and the athleticism to handle that role. Slightly undersized but was a leader on LSU's defense. Xavius Boyd is an interesting prospect for late in the draft or UDFA as well. Perhaps the biggest issues resulting from Bowman's injury are the loss of his abilities in coverage. I feel that if the 49ers are going to draft an ILB, they'd favor a guy who can drop back into coverage over a veritable thumper which they already have in Willis.

I do think Bucannon is a good possibility for the 49ers though, size, length, athleticism, they are all there and he wouldn't have to start for a year or two either.

I like Barrow a lot, but more for a 4-3 team where they can stick him at Will. He reminds me a little of Lavonte David. Physically, he does fit the mold of Willis and Bowman, but I don't know if he's capable of playing downhill like they do--granted, nobody really is.

That said, Barrow is very similar to Wilhoite and Moody, so they may very well like him. As Baalke said recently, there's a reason a lot of our guys at certain positions are very similar.
I could skip school completely and still know that Lee is NOWHERE near #30 value and can name at least 3-5 better options at #30 not only at WR but overall positions in general.

Point is moot though, we're not going to be picking at #30 and we sure as heck aren't taking Lee.

Lol.

You don't have to go to school to understand football, just play Madden.

That being said I wouldn't take Lee at 30 just because I can't remember the last successful USC wide receiver.
Nice mock
Really like the idea of buchanon as im not as sold on the bethea as others. Not sure if we can get desir in the 3rd think we might need to use one of the 2nds to get him. If we stay at 30 Lee might be the only guy left but latimer might be better guy for the long term.
[ Edited by Whosgotitbetter on May 5, 2014 at 4:55 PM ]
The mock is good, fills needs and adds playmakers to the roster. Just not sure we would go for a safety or OLB that early.

If we draft a WR at #30 Lee is probably the best available on the board. I would rather get a WR later like Mathews or Moncreif or Latimer mid 2nd rd to late 2nd rd butif we draft a receiver at #30 Lee would be a good choice.
Sorry, not going to waste 30 mins making a list and arguing over which WRs are better than Lee, when it doesn't even matter.

We can revisit this in 3 years if you like....

Like I said, point is moot, we're not taking Lee and we won't stay at #30...

it takes 30 minutes to make a 5 name list? That must mean players better than lee are hard to find. What's to revisit in 3 years if you won't offer one name as a preferable option? He has the right to evaluate talent as he sees fit, for you to say he hasn't done his homework is silly. I suppose the 49ers didn't do homework on AJ Jenkins then? Being wrong doesn't mean you don't know what yiu are talking about esp in evaluating talent.
[ Edited by prhyme on May 5, 2014 at 6:03 PM ]
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

Both of you phaggots need to get back to the misc from time to time and contribute to the niners thread with draft talk.

I like your draft though Lee scares me and I think you have guys dropping who won't be there.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
If we get D. Bucannon (not that early), D. Lawrence, Pierre Desir and D. Fales (hopefully he's there in the 4th), I'd be down with that.

Although, I hope we get a CB and WR within the first 3 picks..
You would need to swap Joyner and Bucannon, and Desir will go higher also...
Share 49ersWebzone