LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

SFOUT's one and only mock....maybe?

Fine mock!

What scares me about Cooks is can he fight through press coverage? The kind that Seahawks will use.
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on May 5, 2014 at 3:39 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I've been back and forth on Cooks but in my view, yes he is. If the 49ers are in win now mode, they need the most polished guy they can get. They can't get Watkins, so I would say Cooks is the next best choice for what they need. Terrific route runner, terrific hands, pretty much all the knocks on him have nothing to do with the basic facets of being a receiver. He's a guy I could see coming in right away and making a major impact compared to guys like Latimer and Benjamin who are talented but very raw and someone like Robinson who brings nothing to the table that Crabtree, Boldin and Patton don't already bring.

They need to add speed and explosiveness on offense, Cooks does that and he's shown that he has the work ethic to improve whatever he needs to in order to become an impact receiver in the NFL.

I don't disagree with your assessment of Cooks. I think he'll be an impact guy right away, but given the history of highly drafted WRs and the potential availability of a guy like Marqise Lee at 30, I just don't see the value of trading up.

#61 could be Lamarcus Joyner, Pierre Desir or another impact DB.

Which package would you rather have?
- Marqise Lee (or Adams, Benjamin, Latimer, Robinson, etc.) and Joyner or Desir
- Brandin Cooks

I also understand that the fans are getting impatient, but I don't know if Baalke is. I think we continue to follow the Patriots' model and keep ourselves in contention year after year. Eventually the ball will bounce our way and we'll finish it off. We had more than enough talent to get it done each of the past 3 seasons. It's not our roster management strategies that are preventing us from winning it all. It's just the nature of the game. We don't have to go crazy and mortgage the future to win this year. We are already set up to do so.

That said, if the value is there for a move up in the first round, I'm all for it. I just don't see Cooks as being so dramatically better than the WRs immediately below him in this class.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on May 5, 2014 at 3:40 PM ]
If Beckham is gone then I"m fine with Cooks

Not feeling OL and Thomas in the 3rd, but over all not a bad mock!!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Fine mock!

What scares me about Cooks is can he fight through press coverage? The kind that Seahawks will use.

T.Y Hilton did okay and he's even smaller. Its not easy to press smaller, quicker guys, one good double move and they are off to the races.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 5, 2014 at 3:47 PM ]
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
I don't disagree with your assessment of Cooks. I think he'll be an impact guy right away, but given the history of highly drafted WRs and the potential availability of a guy like Marqise Lee at 30, I just don't see the value of trading up.

- Brandin Cooks

I also understand that the fans are getting impatient, but I don't know if Baalke is. I think we continue to follow the Patriots' model and keep ourselves in contention year after year. Eventually the ball will bounce our way and we'll finish it off. We had more than enough talent to get it done each of the past 3 seasons. It's not our roster management strategies that are preventing us from winning it all. It's just the nature of the game. We don't have to go crazy and mortgage the future to win this year. We are already set up to do so.

Like I said in my earlier post, I don't think the 49ers have to sacrifice one of their 2nd rounders to move up for Cooks. Its really more of a buyer's market in the 1st round considering the depth of this draft and I think packaging their 1st with their early 3rd rounder and a late 4th gets the 49ers in the door. 5 picks in the first 3 rounds is still nothing to sneeze at ultimately.

That said, if the value is there for a move up in the first round, I'm all for it. I just don't see Cooks as being so dramatically better than the WRs immediately below him in this class.

I think there might be better receivers, or at least equivalent receivers but for the 49ers situation, I don't see anyone being better right now, who is more ready to step out on to the field in Week 1 and make plays, which is what they need most. You can take a guy like Latimer or Ellington who project out to be good players but both are quite raw. I like Lee but he doesn't have the same explosiveness as Cooks. He provides an element that no other receiver on the roster has and would complement Crabtree and Boldin immensely.

There is a plethora of talented receivers in this draft but when you look at a combined package of deep speed, quickness, route running and hands, Cooks is second to only Sammy Watkins in this draft. Beckham is also up there with Cooks but doesn't possess the same level of pure speed that Cooks does. Beyond that, I see guys like Herron, Bryant, Ellington, none of which I think could have the same impact as Cooks or even close, at least not right away.

Ultimately I'd rather have one guy like Cooks than two project receivers who may or may not pan out and will struggle to get on the field at all. The caveat I'm looking at receivers with is not only do they need WR's, they guys who can get out on the field ASAP and whose actual game complements not clones what guys like Boldin, Crabtree and even Patton do.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 5, 2014 at 3:55 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Fine mock!

You can´t press what you can´t touch

Against faster NFL defensive backs, he figures to see press coverage more often.
"I'm really comfortable," Cooks said. "My freshman and sophomore year, I saw it a lot. Junior year, I didn't see it as much. I feel like that's one of my special areas, to be able to beat the press coverage. I'm not that big, but I'm shifty, left and right. It's going to be hard to be able to put your hands on me, so if you miss, be willing to pay."

With all of our firepower we end up with Cooks, Desir and Mewhort and that's about it. 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds of a very deep draft and that is it?

I hope we do better.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Fine mock!

See above While that isn't him. He (Cooks) torched several DBs in college that played press coverage

Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

- Brandin Cooks

Well as you can see we can still have Desir AND Cooks, and that is a a statement of factual draft value for the picks. Now if buzz is building for a team to pick Desir in the top half ****Which to be clear is not happening as far as I know**** of round 2 we'd have to move back or up and likely wouldn't get Cooks or another player in the 3rd or 4th.

To counter your second point, I'm not impatient, I'm not sold on this team getting Cooks or necessarily want him but him OR Beckham is the type of player we NEED. The team's roster management is phenomenal but it remains that in reality we probably only have 2 defined roster spots open (likely at CB, WR) and the rest is open to competition check this out. This is how I based my mock....

The Core (based off of starting, contributions, contracts) = 43 players

1. Kaepernick, Colin QB
  2. Gore, Frank RB
  3. Hunter, Kendall RB
  4. Lattimore, Marcus RB
  5. Davis, Vernon TE
  6. McDonald, Vance TE
  7. Boldin, Anquan WR
  8. Crabtree, Michael WR
  9. Patton, Quinton WR
  10. Osgood, Kassim WR
  11. Miller, Bruce FB
  12. Staley, Joe T
  13. Iupati, Mike G
  14. Kilgore, Daniel G/C
  15. Boone, Alex G
  16. Davis, Anthony T
  17. Looney, Joe G

1. Dial, Quinton DL
  2. Dorsey, Glenn DL
  3. McDonald, Ray DT
  4. Smith, Justin DT
  5. Carradine, Tank DT
  6. Williams, Ian NT
  7. Jerod-Eddie, Tony DT
  8. Willis, Patrick LB
  9. Bowman, NaVorro LB
  10. Brooks, Ahmad LB
  11. Smith, Aldon LB
  12. Lemonier, Corey LB
  13. Moody, Nick LB
  14. Skuta, Dan LB
  15. Wilhoite, Michael LB
  16. Brock, Tramaine CB
  17. Culliver, Chris CB
  18. Morris, Darryl CB
  19. Reid, Eric S
  20. Bethea, Antoine S
  21. Dahl, Craig S
  22. Spillman, C.J. S
  23. Ventrone, Bubba S

1. Dawson, Phil K
  2. McDermott, Kevin LS
  3. Lee, Andy P

Players that will still be on the team during the regular season

1. Snyder, Adam G – any of the lineman from the PS may win this gig or particularly a top 100 pick.
  2. Gabbert, Blaine QB – No sure thing he is the #2 but I think he wins it
  3. Martin, Jonathan T – Same as above but I think Marquardt has a good chance of winning the battle in TC, that is if we still want Martin as a tackle of course.
  4. Chris Cook CB (possibly play ST) – I think it may come down to who wants it more between Wright and Cook
  5. Brandon Lloyd WR – Identical of the Randy Moss deal, I don't think we make this signing unless we plan on having him on the final 53.
  6. Perrish Cox CB - A 3 way battle for probably 2 roster spots is ensuing between Wright, Cox, and Cook. I think it'll come down to Wright or Cox and they've already cut Cox multiple times.
  7. LaMichael James RB - While Baalke has given him the kiss of death it is still highly likely that he makes this team but I believe 100% that before the regular season we trade him or Kendall Hunter (Yes I think Hunter is a legitimate dark horse to be traded)

Players with highest chance of making the practice squad and an outside chance at the 53

1. Carter Bykowski OL
  2. Chuck Jacobs WR
  3. Dax Swanson CB (best chance of making the 53 out of the 7
  4. Campbell, D.J. S
  5. Luke Marquardt OL (Marquardt is right up there as well)
  6. Al Netter OL
  7. Lawrence Okoye (camps but especially preseason will be telling, can't wait to see if he plays like he deserves a real spot on the team 53 or PS)

Training camp bodies

1. Bethel-Thompson, McLeod QB (3rd QB we will likely pick a new 1 this year)
  2. Hampton, Jewel RB (ridiculous bottleneck of RBs is the only reason he is down here)
  3. Celek, Garrett TE (I think Celek loses out because McDonald was better blocker and if McDonald takes that expected 2nd year jump we look to make the 3rd TE more of the H-Back type like Carrier)
  4. Carrier, Derek TE (I think he has the best chance of making the 53 but I can't help but think that a real hand picked draft pick wins out)
  5. Dobbs, Demarcus TE/DT (Think TJE showed he is a better DL and if we keep an extra DL player it make go to super potential waiting to be tapped in Okoye)
  6. Baldwin, Jon WR
  7. Reed, David WR
  8. Sampson, DeMarco WR
  9. Wylie, Devon WR
  10. Tukuafu, Will FB (I think we need a devote the back up FB role to a real H-Back like Carrier or a draft pick)
  11. Seymour, Ryan OG (people think he make the team but I'm not sold)
  12. Purcell, Mike DT
  13. Christian Tupou
  14. Fleming, Darius LB (I think he may make the PS or be a dark horse for depth while Bowman heals but he is down here because he can't stay healthy)
  15. Schmidt, Colton P

Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
With all of our firepower we end up with Cooks, Desir and Mewhort and that's about it. 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds of a very deep draft and that is it?

I hope we do better.

See above we. We have a core of 43 players with a (+/- of 1 maybe 2 players) -- another 7 spots are about 75% likely filled barring a draft pick bumping them off simply because the value is too good to pass up in the later rounds. There is another 7 or so names in the "bodies" section that were on this team last year and still have a viable shot at making the final 53.

If you're hoping for something sexy, you may get it but only because we have so few roster spots. Right now I think we trade up higher than 17 and get Beckham or Cooks (I'd really love to Fuller in a 9er uniform but that is just me), I'd say there is about a 5-10% chance that if Watkins falls to the 6-10 range that we make the splashiest splash and get him. That being said I DON'T want Watkins at all.

If we keep 61, which I think we will, I believe we add to our cliché of hoarding injured players and take Dominique Easley. I think 1 of our 3rd rounders gets traded out of for sure, maybe even our 4th as well to get future selections in the middle of next years draft as is the Baalke way.
[ Edited by sfout on May 6, 2014 at 7:49 AM ]
Don't forget that Cox can return kicks whereas Wright does not have that ability. That may swing things Cox's way should it come down to the two
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kentc1978:
Don't forget that Cox can return kicks whereas Wright does not have that ability. That may swing things Cox's way should it come down to the two

Yea and that is the only reason I see him back on the team. Because that is a +1 that neither Cook nor Wright has.

Share 49ersWebzone