There are 169 users in the forums

Barrow's Mock

• Rascal
  • Veteran
To me, this is an interesting mock. I like the construct of it in the sense of keeping WR and CB top priorty while factoring RB and QB into the selection which is inline with my own thinking. But, my choice of prospects are completely different at those positions. Without going into player by player, I would just say the most glaring being Latimer and Desir being drafted way too high.
Don't mind it...we really don't need a RB or OLB that early though
Originally posted by Rascal:
To me, this is an interesting mock. I like the construct of it in the sense of keeping WR and CB top priorty while factoring RB and QB into the selection which is inline with my own thinking. But, my choice of prospects are completely different at those positions. Without going into player by player, I would just say the most glaring being Latimer and Desir being drafted way too high.

McShay has Latimer going #22 to the Eagles. He's being looked at as a late 1st rounder to mid 2nd rounder so the it really isn't too high.

Desir has been mentioned going late 2nd to early 3rd. With his size and talent, he's not going to last long out there, only knock on him is the level of competition.

Neither of those are guys I would say are being taken too high.
RB before day 3?

I do not see us taking a WR first ... not a first round WR (too big a risk for Baalke after AJ). CB is biggest need in any event.

Prediction: CB (unless we trade down)
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Having a Hill/Lattimore duo would be awesome
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Rascal:

McShay has Latimer going #22 to the Eagles. He's being looked at as a late 1st rounder to mid 2nd rounder so the it really isn't too high.

Desir has been mentioned going late 2nd to early 3rd. With his size and talent, he's not going to last long out there, only knock on him is the level of competition.

Neither of those are guys I would say are being taken too high.

I think after Beckham (or even him included?), teams will basically take whatever WR they like. Cooks, Lee, Latimer... I don't think there's a real big difference in talent. Just depends on who teams like.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Only quibble would be the additional WR and S in the seventh. Would rather see Spencer Long OG if he was still available or another swing OT candidate for one. Trey Millard or Gator Hoskins, too as our SAK/FB/H-Back/TE would be the other pick.

I agree. But if something similar to his went down, I'd be pretty satisfied.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Way too high for Colvin and Boyd, but the others I'm perfectly fine with, although I'd change one of the options if it were me at the helm, personally. Would prefer a different TE over Nic Jacobs.

Agreed. Why draft an injured player like Colvin to redshirt in the 3rd round when he might have been a 3rd round pick if he were healthy? He was looking at being a possible 2nd rd to 3rd rd pick before he was hurt. Boyd is projected as a 6th rd pick at best and might not even be drafted.

Even Latimer is currently projected as mid 2nd rd to early 3rd rd. If you want to draft him 1st we should probably trade back to about 40 or 45 and get an extra draft pick.

Not a lot of talent in this mock considering how deep the draft is and all of our extra early draft picks.
No line help. Either on offense or defense. I guess he thinks we'll pay Iupati 10 million and Justin Smith is no where near retirement and we don't need any center help.
My only gripe with this draft is Hill in the 3rd and Colvin and Boyd taken so high.

I like the Latimer, Desir, Smith and Ellington picks a lot though.

I think Desir could go a lot higher than folks expect. He has a great build for a corner, not too big, not too small. Has a great head on his shoulders, family man, came from a humble beginning, and is a hard worker. Sometimes you take a guy like this and let him learn on the job and instill all your confidence in him because you know it will pay off in the long run. If Aldon is playing week one, I have no issues starting this kid week 1 because I know the pass rush will more than make up for any shortcomings.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I really hope this doesn't happen exactly how he has it.

However, I wouldn't be disappointed with this part of it...
30th overall:Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
2nd, 56th overall: Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
2nd, 61st overall: Marcus Smith, OLB, Louisville
3rd, 94th overall: Bruce Ellington, South Carolina
3rd, 100th overall: Aaron Colvin,
I like the Jeremy Hill pick, someone big, fast, and young to compliment Frank Gore. People need to realize that pick makes total sense. Really rooting for Lattimore to shine, but two major knee injuries, it'd be foolish to rely on him. LMJ, Hunter, the rest aren't starting caliber.
[ Edited by T-9ers on May 5, 2014 at 7:09 PM ]
Originally posted by T-9ers:
I like the Jeremy Hill pick, someone big, fast, and young to compliment Frank Gore. People need to realize that pick makes total sense. Really rooting for Lattimore to shine, but two major knee injuries, it'd be foolish to rely on him. LMJ, Hunter, the rest aren't starting caliber.

I wonder how his background issues would be looked at however.
This is practically identical to most of my Fanspeak mocks. I love every pick in the first 3 rounds. Only thing to make it better would be Brandon a Thomas in the 4th and Fales later.

- Latimer is a solid choice. He's big, durable and an outstanding blocking. The NFL won't be too big for him.
- Desir has outstanding ball skills. He's a great prospec to bring in to compete with Culliver.
- Smith and Lemonier would give us phenomenal depth.
- Hill would be a monster RB for us. He's my #1 big back, which is what I think we need.
- Ellington: speed, returner, and upside an a threat in the slot.
- Colvin, like Desir, has playmaking ability. Excellent player to stash away for a year.
Share 49ersWebzone