LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 157 users in the forums

NYniner85's First Mock!!

I've been reading mocks on here so I figured I'd give it a shot! I used CBS Sports/NFL.com player ranker and info.

1st. *Trade move up to 16th, This draft is deep and teams would love to grab more picks, give Dallas #30, #77 & #94.

Odell Beckham JR WR LSU- 5-11 198lbs: Has longer arms and bigger hands the Sammy Watkins.He racked up 2,222 all- purpose yards at LSU.....He is a strait up baller and would take over the return game!

NFL.com: Talented, competitive, productive, inconsistent college split end who projects as a big-play receiver in the pros. Offers versatility to toggle between "X," "Z" and slot given his ability to stretch the field and run after the catch. Brings added value as a kick returner.

*Trade: would love if Verrett fell a couple spots because of his size and to have us move up for him, but I don't see that happening. SO we trade back! There might be a WR or QB still on the board that a team wants (Garoppolo or Benjamin) Grab Jags next yrs 2nd and this years 3rd an 4th they get there QB or WR.

2nd-(61)-Lamarcus Joyner CB/S Florida ST- 5-8 184lbs: He should be here just based on his size, He has long arms for his height and plays like he is 6-2! Good football playing demeanor, been durable in college and could start as our nickle.

3rd-(From Jags #70) Martavis Bryant WR Clemson - 6-4 211lbs: He is the tall/long WR that everyone has been waiting for! He has great strait line speed, but is raw..We worked him out as well. He would help in the red zone immediately, I know some people don't want 2 WRs this early, but I just don't see us resigning Crabs (he will want to test FA) and there are too many great prospects to pass up!

3rd-(100)-Rashaad Reynold CB Oregon ST 5-10 189lbs: Is very instinctive and tied for quickest short shuttle run and had 20 reps on the bench. Trent has been good at evaluating CBs that fit our system.

NFL.com: Athletic, sticky coverman whose position-specific traits and consistent performance inspire confidence he has what it takes to contribute readily in the pros. Has starter-caliber physical ability, a natural feel for the game and sterling intangibles. Underrated, low-risk prospect.

4th-(from Jags #114)- Brandon Thomas OG Clemson 6-3 317lbs: Tore his ACL so we can red shirt him, if we don't resign Iupati he would be the next man up! Long arms and big hands, had 35 reps and played LT in college (TB loves versatility)

4th-#129: James Gayle DE/OLB Virginia: Grabbed this from Phoenix49ers last mock!! While I think we will keep Smith in the long-term we should always be adding pass rushers. Not sure if he will be here, but I would like to grab a pass rusher at this spot.

NFL.com: Explosive, high-motor see-and-go reactor whose calling card is his ability to pressure the edge. Does not play to his weight-room numbers against the run and lacks desirable length and smarts, projecting as a situational 3-4 rush linebacker.

5th-#170 Craig Loston SS LSU 5-11 217lbs: We need a backup and future replacement for Bethea and why not give Reid his partner in crime! He has shorter arms then TB likes, but is aggressive and has a solid build, would most likely start on special teams this year.

*trade both 7th rds #242 & 243 to NE for 30th pick in 6th rd. (not sure if it would be enough).

6th- #206 Brent Urban DE Virginia 6-7 300lbs: He is big and has long arms (34 1/4") From Toronto and has a ton of potential! Broke his foot before the Senior Bowl and has a lot to learn.

NFL.com-Tall, angular, late-blooming five-technique prospect with the body type sought by teams employing odd fronts. Should only get bigger, stronger and more polished. If so, has potential to grow into an impact lineman. Broken foot bone suffered in freak accident prior to Senior Bowl could hinder his draft status.

7th-#245 Trey Millard FB Oklahoma 6-2 247lbs: Why not!? I've seen him on just about everyone else's mock...he is a jack-of-all trades and would ad very least be a core player in special teams.

So there you have it!! 9 players in all plus 2nd rd for next year....Like I said I used CBS Sports for projected rankings and NFL.com for info.

Let me know what you think...this extra week of waiting is killing me!!

GO NINERS!!
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 5, 2014 at 11:41 AM ]
I like the combination of Beckham and M. Bryant. Bryant can be inactive and learn. I don't think Joyner will be the CB pick. Niners have been looking at bigger CBs. IMO, they want DBs that can cover Fitzgerald and Austin as well as tackle M. Lynch. I'd like to see the Niners package a trade up for starters at both WR and CB.
I'll be upset w/Baalke if he trades up mid-1st rd to get Beckham...yes, he's a baller, speedy and all that, but seems to me TB's #1 priority should be finding a replacement for Crabtree. With guys like Matthews, Adams, Latimer, et al available, they're much better replacements for MC than Beckham. Baalke can get a speedy slot receiver w/KR skills later with Ellington, Herron, etc. What I think Baalke should do in 1st rd...take Dennard if avail, if not grab Fuller, then trade up in 2nd rd to get one of the three WR's above.

Just don't see why Baalke would draft Bryant...at this stage w/Crabtree arguably in his final Niner season, you don't draft a WR project. Thus the need for more experienced, polished talent like Matthews or Adams. Latimer's good, too, but would come in third.

I can see Baalke taking Breeland or Desir before Reynolds. Again, size, all-around CB play, longer arms, especially in Desir.

Like Loston & Urban.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I like the combination of Beckham and M. Bryant. Bryant can be inactive and learn. I don't think Joyner will be the CB pick. Niners have been looking at bigger CBs. IMO, they want DBs that can cover Fitzgerald and Austin as well as tackle M. Lynch. I'd like to see the Niners package a trade up for starters at both WR and CB.

Thanks for the input, Joyner would be our nickle back (much like what Verrett would be on our team) he plays a lot bigger then his size and hits hard! Reynolds would be our outside guy with Culliver and Brock. We have a larger CB in Cook at 6-2 212lbs, he has played poorly in Minn but has the potential (drafted #34 in 2010). I think he could be coached up like Rogers was.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'll be upset w/Baalke if he trades up mid-1st rd to get Beckham...yes, he's a baller, speedy and all that, but seems to me TB's #1 priority should be finding a replacement for Crabtree. With guys like Matthews, Adams, Latimer, et al available, they're much better replacements for MC than Beckham. Baalke can get a speedy slot receiver w/KR skills later with Ellington, Herron, etc. What I think Baalke should do in 1st rd...take Dennard if avail, if not grab Fuller, then trade up in 2nd rd to get one of the three WR's above.

Just don't see why Baalke would draft Bryant...at this stage w/Crabtree arguably in his final Niner season, you don't draft a WR project. Thus the need for more experienced, polished talent like Matthews or Adams. Latimer's good, too, but would come in third.

I can see Baalke taking Breeland or Desir before Reynolds. Again, size, all-around CB play, longer arms, especially in Desir.

Like Loston & Urban.

I feel you and I wouldn't be upset if we drafted Matthews or Latimer in 2nd...I don't think Adams is anything special, his numbers were based on Fresno ST's system...Beckham would open the field for everyone else and create miss matches for Davis! He is tough and would take care of returns (think of a healthy Harvin). We need speed this year (Seattle has problems against), when your TE is your fastest player that's a problem...if Crabs doesn't resign we would have Beckham, Boldin,Patton, and Bryant (with a year to learn from crabs/boldin) I think that is a fine WR core.

Since TB has been GM he has never drafted a CB in the 1st 2 rds...I doubt we move up for one in the 1st. Breeland and Reynolds are basically the same size and I like Desir, but I like Joyner over him in the 2nd. We have a long CB in Cooks who has potential (drafted 34th) just needs some coaching.
I think with this draft we come out with 2-3 starters for this year, with a ton of potential for the future!
Not a fan of Joyner, like OBJ, like Thomas, overall, not too bad.
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Not a fan of Joyner, like OBJ, like Thomas, overall, not too bad.

Yeah the more I watch him the more I like...he can play CB and safety reminds me of Tyler Mathieu a little. He was a leader for FSU, we don't blitz a lot, but his sack total ranked 1st among NCAA DB's.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yeah the more I watch him the more I like...he can play CB and safety reminds me of Tyler Mathieu a little. He was a leader for FSU, we don't blitz a lot, but his sack total ranked 1st among NCAA DB's.

Very solid comparison. Antoine Winfield is another one that makes sense. Joyner would be an excellent slot CB from day one. He also has multi-position flexibility and outstanding intangibles by all accounts.

I'm biased as a lifelong Noles fan, but I think he'd be a perfect fit in this defense.
Not bad. Like the combo of Beckham & Bryant.

Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Very solid comparison. Antoine Winfield is another one that makes sense. Joyner would be an excellent slot CB from day one. He also has multi-position flexibility and outstanding intangibles by all accounts.

I'm biased as a lifelong Noles fan, but I think he'd be a perfect fit in this defense.

Yes I've heard that comparison! I'm Noles fan too, so I might be a little biased as well lol
The Jags are going to give us a 4th rd pick and next years 2nd rd pick to move up from #70 to #56? Really?

We get a mid 2nd rd pick next year plus an early 3rd rd pick and an early 4th rd pick this year for a late 2nd rounder?
i think youre wrong re niners drafting brent urban--dallas will pick him
so that they have an urban cowboy
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
The Jags are going to give us a 4th rd pick and next years 2nd rd pick to move up from #70 to #56? Really?

We get a mid 2nd rd pick next year plus an early 3rd rd pick and an early 4th rd pick this year for a late 2nd rounder?

If they see a QB they like at that spot sure,We might be able to grab a 4th (mid 4th) from a team with a need like QB
A starting cornerback is what we need most and is what I think we willl target in round 1. Last year's draft a free safety was what we needed most and that's what we got. I'm not buying all this stuff about HarBaalke knowing how to get corners later and develop them. If this is totally true then why the hell do we need a corner upgrade every year? The deepest talent pool for receivers ever and everyone wants to pick one early. Not feeling it, we run the ball and play defense. Let's not forget what we do best.
Share 49ersWebzone