There are 193 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

General Draft Predictions

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Davante Adams and Pierre Desir will be 49ers. BOOK IT!

Although now that i say it, its likely the kiss of death.

Dude...............I actually WANT Desir to become a 49er. Thanks for screwing that up.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 5, 2014 at 12:21 PM ]
We have a few predictions: Cooks, Desir, Adams. Come on, people! Go out on that limb and then rub it in our faces after the draft!
  • DeUh
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Once again, why do the 49ers need "Crabtree's replacement?" Can someone please show me the press release that was passed down that the 49ers and Baalke are 100% sure that Crabtree will not be returning?

If Baalke feels good about being able to bring Crabtree back, why would he want to add yet another possession receiver?

I don't like that people are assuming that Crabtree is simply gone and if they feel that way, Baalke must as well.

Originally posted by Karma:
3. The Niners will trade DOWN. I see the #30 pick being used to get a first rounder next year and a mid rounder this year. LaMichael James may be part of that transaction

This will never happen. I guarantee it. Niners will trade up. There's no logic in accumulating more picks when we already have 11. Seven guys will barely make the roster, let alone 11!

#IToldYouSoThread
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Good as Cooks, Beckham and other smaller WR's are, I'd hate to see Baalke do that. Why? TB's #1 WR priority should be to find Crabtree's replacement...I'm talkin' Matthews, Adams, Latimer. Baalke can get a smaller slot WR later that has KR skills...like Ellington, Herron...guys who weigh in @ 200 lbs.

I could see Baalke trading down...toward getting 3 2nd rd picks. That'd give him more leverage to trade up in that rd, considerably less expensive than in the 1st. BL: he needs to come away from rd 2 w/top CB, WR and possibly a pass rusher.

Once again, why do the 49ers need "Crabtree's replacement?" Can someone please show me the press release that was passed down that the 49ers and Baalke are 100% sure that Crabtree will not be returning?

If Baalke feels good about being able to bring Crabtree back, why would he want to add yet another possession receiver?

I don't like that people are assuming that Crabtree is simply gone and if they feel that way, Baalke must as well.

I still think the 49ers trade up in the first for a WR. Whether that's for Crabs replacement or compliment.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
3. The Niners will trade DOWN. I see the #30 pick being used to get a first rounder next year and a mid rounder this year. LaMichael James may be part of that transaction

This will never happen. I guarantee it. Niners will trade up. There's no logic in accumulating more picks when we already have 11. Seven guys will barely make the roster, let alone 11!

#IToldYouSoThread

I completely understand the logic. We have a finite amount of roster spaces, which is why I have them getting a future pick as the main compensation. I can see them trying to get picks for next year since we will lose so many guys to make room for Kaepernick's deal.
We trade up into the top 13
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
We trade up into the top 13

For whom?
Originally posted by pete98146:
I went back and watched highlights of Cooks over the weekend. The kid is a stud. I think both Cooks and Beckham are NFL ready so I'd be happy with either one. A third option would be M. Lee. He runs a great route but I don't think he's strong enough to get off the line and would need a few years to fully develop.

Well we can't develop WRs so they better be good coming out of college
Originally posted by NickSh49:

#IToldYouSoThread

I completely understand the logic. We have a finite amount of roster spaces, which is why I have them getting a future pick as the main compensation. I can see them trying to get picks for next year since we will lose so many guys to make room for Kaepernick's deal.

We're not gonna lose that many guys for Kaep. It's really gonna come down to Iupati, Aldon, & Crabs... and the team will probably be able to keep two out of the three (Iupati probably walks, too much $$$ for a guard). And you probably lose either Justin Smith and Frank Gore to retirement. The only guy who might be seen as "overpaid" is Ray McDonald, but his base salary is only $5M in 2014.

This roster is full except for CB, WR, & S (assuming they look to find a long-term replacement for Antoine Bethea). Every other position is covered to a point where the team doesn't need to worry about who is going to start or play as a backup. They need to look to the future at OL & DL, but there isn't the room on the roster or the need to fix that right now. The urgent need is to shore up at WR & CB and then find depth/development elsewhere.

The roster is simply full. We've got suitable guys like Tank, Skuta, Lemonier, Ian Williams, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Michael Willhoite, Joe Looney, & Darius Fleming already on this team and ready to fight for roster spots. Adding more picks to your 11 makes no sense.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Good as Cooks, Beckham and other smaller WR's are, I'd hate to see Baalke do that. Why? TB's #1 WR priority should be to find Crabtree's replacement...I'm talkin' Matthews, Adams, Latimer. Baalke can get a smaller slot WR later that has KR skills...like Ellington, Herron...guys who weigh in @ 200 lbs.

I could see Baalke trading down...toward getting 3 2nd rd picks. That'd give him more leverage to trade up in that rd, considerably less expensive than in the 1st. BL: he needs to come away from rd 2 w/top CB, WR and possibly a pass rusher.

Assumption are not necessary.

We do know what Baalke thinks about the chances of keeping Crabtree.

We do not know if we will be able to keep Crabtree.

Drafting a replacement in case the team is not able to resign Crabtree makes sense.

Drafting a eventual replacement for Boldin would also make sense.

We do not know how long Boldin will play or play successfully.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Davante Adams and Pierre Desir will be 49ers. BOOK IT!

Although now that i say it, its likely the kiss of death.

Dude...............I actually WANT Desir to become a 49er. Thanks for screwing that up.

Been in love with him since the senior bowl, but we never draft my crushes....Sorry...
I still see the 49ers trading up for Brandin Cooks. Just a feeling I've had for about a week now. Only three more days to be proven wrong.

I hope you're right.
We have an abundance of mock drafts and big boards in the forum. I thought it would be fun to do a general prediction thread.

1. Johnny Manziel will be a Cleveland Brown, but not with their first pick. He will drop out of the top ten and they will trade back in to get him.

2. Stephon Tuitt will not get out of the first round. The Steelers or the Seahawks will grab him.

3. The Niners will trade DOWN. I see the #30 pick being used to get a first rounder next year and a mid rounder this year. LaMichael James may be part of that transaction.

4. Only two QBs will go in the first round, both by teams that trade for the pick.

This could end up being a great I-Told-You-So thread.

Cleveland already has 2 first round picks. So are you saying they make a trade to acquire yet another?
Originally posted by buck:
Assumption are not necessary.

We do know what Baalke thinks about the chances of keeping Crabtree.

We do not know if we will be able to keep Crabtree.

Drafting a replacement in case the team is not able to resign Crabtree makes sense.

Drafting a eventual replacement for Boldin would also make sense.

We do not know how long Boldin will play or play successfully.

Which is?

"Last week, general manager Trent Baalke said the team has reached out to Crabtree's representatives regarding an extension. At this point, it's likely those discussions have been about getting a preliminary ballpark figure – roughly how much would it take to make a deal — from Crabtree's camp.

"We're constantly working with our guys that are becoming free agents to see what it's going to take to extend them," Baalke said. "Michael's no different. He's a darn good football player. A guy that we drafted. And as everyone in this room knows, we are always going to try to keep our own guys rather than go out in free agency and pay guys that haven't invested themselves in this place like these guys have."

Drafting a replacement in case the team is not able to resign Crabtree makes sense. Drafting a eventual replacement for Boldin would also make sense.

"In case", "eventual", none of that speaks to the 49ers current need for a gamebreaking type wide receiver. That was my original point, the biggest need for today is a vertical threat, beyond that you have Patton who might very well be Boldin's replacement down the road. If they need to add another guy to develop, they can always take a flyer on a late round pick like a Hoffman, but with Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, a guy like Cooks or Beckham, Lloyd, Osgood, Baldwin and Jacobs, the need for adding multiple receivers is greatly reduced.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 5, 2014 at 1:12 PM ]