There are 271 users in the forums

Phoenix49ersWTF? It's May 3rd and the Draft STILL hasn't happened yet? Mock

Pierre Desir will still be there in the second. He may be the most talented corner in the draft. I don't see any CBs worth taking in the 1st. It would be a reach.
Originally posted by Andra:
I like your draft very realistic. The only thing I don't agree with is 1st round WR I would rather CB
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We don't need a tall receiver who is slow. We need average size receivers who are quick and fast to get seperation. Beckham, Latimer and Moncrief are the one's who fit that bill.
Also don't forget my boy Lamarcus Joyner who is being overlooked because of he height but he is an absolute stud and will be a start at the next level.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I understand your logic, but this draft has so much talent at the WR position that we should grab for the future as well ...Lloyd isn't guaranteed a spot and boldin while had a great year isn't playing much longer( rather have a rookie over Baldwin). If crabs leaves for FA would you feel confident as cooks and boldin as your starters? A lot of these WRs projected in 2-3 rds would be going higher in any other yr I think..

Once again, if they draft Cooks, you have Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Cooks as your main four. Osgood takes up a spot for special teams, then its down to Lloyd, Baldwin, Jacobs plus a late round rookie for that final spot. On a team that runs few 3 WR sets, I don't see the pressing need for another WR if they take one early. Taking a flyer on a project is certainly warranted but with other needs on the team, I can see the 49ers taking one WR early and that being it for the position as far as the draft goes.
Originally posted by mayo49:
We don't need a tall receiver who is slow. We need average size receivers who are quick and fast to get seperation. Beckham, Latimer and Moncrief are the one's who fit that bill.

To beat big cornerback's you need receivers, whether big or small, who can get off the line quickly.
The combine is a joke. KB is plenty fast enough on the field and has no problem getting separation when he is catching the ball 10' over people's head. You literally just have to throw the ball up in his general direction. We will seriously regret not drafting him. He is a touchdown machine.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I just feel you guys want receiver that are exactly like what we already have. We need a change, something different. We are not getting it done in the redzone. We need guys that will go up, attacked and snatch that freaking ball out of the air and put that punk ass Richard Sherman on his ass.
Originally posted by Nicks240:
I just feel you guys want receiver that are exactly like what we already have. We need a change, something different. We are not getting it done in the redzone. We need guys that will go up, attacked and snatch that freaking ball out of the air and put that punk ass Richard Sherman on his ass.

49ers currently have nobody like a Brandin Cooks or Odell Beckham. That's the point, they lack speed and explosiveness at WR. Boldin, Crabtree and Patton are all possession receivers, "move the chains" type of receivers.

Meanwhile they have a QB with a cannon for an arm with no real vertical threat at WR for him to target deep downfield. Based on Harbaugh's offense having cobbled together various principles of Bo Schembechler and Lindy Infante's offenses, there's certainly a desire for a vertical passing game but they can't do it with just VD as the only deep threat on the team.

Also, if your plan is to try to throw it over the top on Richard Sherman......you need a better plan.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 4, 2014 at 11:44 AM ]
Why do people think we are going to take a short reveiver? We have like 4 of those already. We need a big red zone threat. Kelvin Benjamin is the only reveiver I would take in the 1st round. KB in the first and Pierre Disir in the second. Give all the other picks away for all I care.

We need big receviers to match up with Seattles big DB's. Im sick of the Niners taking all these minerture wideouts. I heard a rumor that they were interested in drafting Beckham. Shoot me in the freaking head if they move up and waste our picks on him.

Trade the whole freaking draft for KB. He is the only one I want. get him, and we win 12 Super Bowls in a row.

I remember when I had my first beer.

LOL you dont beat Richard Sherman that way. Did you forget he is 6'3? You're playing right into his hands. The bigger the wide receiver the easier it is for him to get his hands on him, be physical and hold onto that jersey.

Emphasis on holding the jersey because we all know Seattle does it every play and gets away with it.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 4, 2014 at 11:54 AM ]

Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
LOL you dont beat Richard Sherman that way. Did you forget he is 6'3? You're playing right into his hands. The bigger the wide receiver the easier it is to get your hands on him and hold onto that jersey.

This. Its pretty much basic logic. Not to mention that a guy like Benjamin is slow as FUUUUUUUUUU off the line. All the defensive back has to do is knock the receiver off his route and he's more than happy to slap hands and be physical with them. Looking back at the first game against Seattle last season, Boldin was physical and was fighting Sherman pretty much the whole game. What did he end up with, like one catch?

I don't want a receiver battling their cornerbacks down the field and playing into their strength, I want a receiver running away from their cornerbacks, getting wide open and making plays downfield.

Crabtree and Boldin are two of the most physical receivers in the NFL. They are both tough and can knock around smaller defensive back's easily. If you can beat smaller cornerbacks with bigger receivers, doesn't it make sense to attack bigger cornerback's with quicker, faster receivers?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM ]

Ok, now I am jumping in.
How is Cooks anything like Boldin or Crabs? Their body type, style of play, and speed are all different... I'm not sure if you are trolling or what.

Also, I can't actually believe I am typing this... Do you know who our leading TD receiver has been for the past 3 seasons? Do some HW, look it up and maybe you will realize a couple things about this offense...

If red zone % is your gripe, then you are worried about the wrong position.
Like Phoenix said we need a wide receiver who can fly off the line and make Seattle pay ala TY Hilton.

Colts use flood routes to exploit Seattle's soft zone defense. Need someone with speed to make it work.

lol sherman got the work

[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM ]
6' is big? Oh yeah, they all had so many jump balls in the end zone last year. We need at least a 6'4" Receiver. Our redzone offense is freaking horrible. Calvin Johnson is a big receiver and KB has almost the same measurables. The kid is going to be a stud.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Who are the 4? Baldwin, Boldin, Patton, Crabtree are all average to big WRs.
Read. I said "average to big". Patton, Crabtree, and Boldin ate all average good sized receivers. Baldwin is big. None are what you call short.
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
Like Phoenix said we need a wide receiver who can fly off the line and make Seattle pay ala TY Hilton.

Colts use flood routes to exploit Seattle's soft zone defense. Need someone with speed to make it work.

lol sherman got the work

This. Every good receiving corps needs some balance, the 49ers have no balance, maybe if Jenkins had panned out, but he didn't, so they do need to an quickness/explosiveness element which they are lacking currently.
Share 49ersWebzone