LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 163 users in the forums

Phoenix49ersWTF? It's May 3rd and the Draft STILL hasn't happened yet? Mock

No I think about 6 or 7 other corners can be had in this draft before breeland. Just dont like the idea of him. I dont think anybody judges a player on one play.
[ Edited by Whosgotitbetter on May 4, 2014 at 12:55 AM ]
I'm struggling to understand the Cooks haters...

All I see are knocks on his size, and that he can't block.

Dude is freakishly strong for how fast and agile he is. Also, I don't think Cooks would even start over Crabs or Boldin... I see him as our slot guy, would he even block that much?
I like the draft. Well thought out. But I think I'd rather go for Evans and Ellington. That way you've got your long term WR in place (presuming Crabtree is going to be gone) in Evans and your slot WR + KR/PR in Ellington. You solve the lack of yards in the return game + RZ/move the chains receiver.

Get a CB in between those two picks.
Not a fan because I think #17 for 30,77 and 129 is WAY too much. Last year we gave 31 and 74 for 18.
Also not in love with Cooks. I think he can be good in space but in an offense like the 49ers, I think Cooks would almost be a waste.
Not a bad selection, and I know I have no chance of putting an accurate mock together. But not sure I agree with the balance of picks. Not convinced we draft two OL but if we did I'd expect one to have experience at Center due to it being weakest position on o-line.

Also think three linebackers may be too high. And agree that we take a QB in the draft as opposed to UDFA. Gabbert may get backup slot, but we have no long term obligation to him. He should at least have competition.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Not a fan because I think #17 for 30,77 and 129 is WAY too much. Last year we gave 31 and 74 for 18.

Last year the 49ers basically ripped off the Cowboys, wouldnt count on that to be precedent setting. 30, 77 and 129 is still a compromise that both teams could live with. Baltimore adds two picks and the 49ers get to keep both of their 2nd rounders.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 4, 2014 at 3:23 AM ]
Originally posted by mrwoodz:
Not a bad selection, and I know I have no chance of putting an accurate mock together. But not sure I agree with the balance of picks. Not convinced we draft two OL but if we did I'd expect one to have experience at Center due to it being weakest position on o-line.

Also think three linebackers may be too high. And agree that we take a QB in the draft as opposed to UDFA. Gabbert may get backup slot, but we have no long term obligation to him. He should at least have competition.

I could see 2 OL since one guy is going to IR anyways. Long was looked at as a 2nd/3rd rounder prior to his injury, getting him for a 7th rounder, even if he isnt around until 2015...is a major steal.
Originally posted by Scoots:
I liked what you had said elsewhere on the board Phoenix and I love the Millard pick, but if this is our draft I'm going to be sick next week.

agreed
I freaking hate this draft. Seriously, one of the worst ones out there. Cooks is a good pick, but like 8 spots too high for him...the rest are literally horrible.

I don't have a problem with this mock draft but if I'm the 49ers and I move to #17 it's to draft Fuller,Gilbert or Dennard. This draft is deep in WR's and I'd be perfectly fine with Matthews or Lattimer. After you get by those 3 CB's I mentioned it becomes questionable. Verrett is a good corner but short and Roby has some off the field problems. I do think Roby has the tools to become a really good corner with some coaching.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd be fine with Latimer or Moncrief if we stay put. But, the only receiver I'd take in a trade up, in the #17 range, would be Beckham. In the #20's range would be Cooks.
[ Edited by mayo49 on May 4, 2014 at 7:25 AM ]
I like the Mewhort ginger pick.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think for a long time the rules benefited bigger, stronger receivers, but as the league has been changing with more restrictions on the defense and more and more teams running spread based offense's, I think it becomes less of an issue. If you can get a guy like an AJ Green you absolutely do it, that sort of height, size, speed, body control and agility in one package is outstanding but guys like that aren't often available and when they are, they tend to get gobbled up pretty quickly. There's not a single wide receiver that compares to AJ Green in this draft.

That said, there will always be a place for a highly talented and hard-working smaller receiver, guys like Steve Smith, Wes Welker, Antonio Brown, T.Y. Hilton...etc, they'll continue to pop up in the NFL. I think Cooks has the potential to be an outstanding NFL receiver, he could be an absolute bust, but so could Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans too. He could be injury prone but that's true for most prospects.

In the end, if you like the way a guy plays and think he can be a good fit on your team, you pull the trigger and worry about the rest later.

I agree with all of that, however, with all else being equal size wins. And while there have been some good smaller WRs in the NFL they are the exception not the rule. I like Cooks' game, but I am not confident enough in his game translating to the NFL for him to be worth a first round pick is all.
This Is one of the more realistic mocks...I'd rather have Beckham then Cooks, but wouldn't be that upset. Breeland will be a Niner, rather not go OL in third with Martin on the team. Maybe grab Brandon Thomas later in the draft and red shirt him, then grab another WR? I really want us to leave this draft with 2 WRs that will make final roster.
Share 49ersWebzone