LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

Phoenix49ersWTF? It's May 3rd and the Draft STILL hasn't happened yet? Mock

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Not big on Cooks and trading up, but if we did trade up to 17th I would rather take a CB. Plus I also want to take a legit QB as a proper back-up and to compete with Kap before we hand him that $100 mil contract. If you pick a CB in the 2nd, I would take Stanley Jean-Baptiste. Also, I thought you were a Dri Archer fan, no ?
What do you see that Cooks can do that Ellington can't do, possibly two rounds later? Obviously, Cooks is more polished, but Ellington is a better athlete (bigger, strong, physical, and actually faster in the flying 20). He can do the speed stuff we need for this year, plus he can finally focus on just football, so he should improve drastically in route running ad adjustments. His brother is also a hell of a ball player who gives the Seahawks fits. Something tells me that a 5'9" guy who can start on a D1 basketball team can play big on the football field.

I don't want to trade up into to mid first for anyone who will be available there. Denard is the best of them, IMO, and he doesn't seem versatile enough for our scheme (I don't like him in off man or deep third/quarter).
Originally posted by Rascal:
Not big on Cooks and trading up, but if we did trade up to 17th I would rather take a CB. Plus I also want to take a legit QB as a proper back-up and to compete with Kap before we hand him that $100 mil contract. If you pick a CB in the 2nd, I would take Stanley Jean-Baptiste. Also, I thought you were a Dri Archer fan, no ?

Like I said, I don't see the 49ers drafting another QB after trading for Gabbert. He's going to be Harbaugh's reclamation project, I don't expect another QB to be drafted. As far as Cooks, he's got outstanding hands, route running ability and can stretch the field vertically which is what the 49ers need most on offense.

I do think the 49ers interest in Breeland is genuine and it isn't surprising that Baalke is interested, he's a tough, physical CB who isn't afraid to put his body on the line, is a fierce tackler and plays with a "mean" mentality. He's a very underrated prospect with good size for the position.

I may be a Dri Archer fan but I don't see the 49ers drafting him. This mock was basically my best shot at trying to figure out what moves the 49ers would make. I do believe that Cooks is a guy that they are keenly interested in and will try to trade up for.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
What do you see that Cooks can do that Ellington can't do, possibly two rounds later? Obviously, Cooks is more polished, but Ellington is a better athlete (bigger, strong, physical, and actually faster in the flying 20). He can do the speed stuff we need for this year, plus he can finally focus on just football, so he should improve drastically in route running ad adjustments. His brother is also a hell of a ball player who gives the Seahawks fits. Something tells me that a 5'9" guy who can start on a D1 basketball team can play big on the football field.

I don't want to trade up into to mid first for anyone who will be available there. Denard is the best of them, IMO, and he doesn't seem versatile enough for our scheme (I don't like him in off man or deep third/quarter).

I'm sure the 49ers have considered both guys, I just see Cooks to be a little more polished, a little more explosive overall in terms of on field performance. I wouldn't mind taking Ellington but if the 49ers really like Cooks, then so be it.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I'd be pissed if this happens, if this is the case, I like your picks and your mock much better lol

Why pissed? You get a true high caliber deep threat at WR, a CB with a lot of potential, depth on the OL, Aldon insurance, depth at safety and more. That said, more likely than not I see a lot of people being irate with whatever Baalke does no matter what.

I'm hoping this draft brings a little more than depth, potential, and insurance. At #17 we should be able to get a starting corner imo.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
I'm hoping this draft brings a little more than depth, potential, and insurance. At #17 we should be able to get a starting corner imo.

They could also go CB first, that wouldn't surprise me either but I do think that if they are truly enamored with Cooks or Beckham, they'll move up to get them regardless of who else is available. In anycase, I don't expect any CB available to supplant Culliver or Brock as the starter.

Considering how loaded this team is, all you're drafting for is depth, potential and insurance. You're drafting for guys you can develop to replace people like Iupati a year or two down the road, you're drafting for depth in case of injury because there realistically are no starting spots available, you're drafting for explosiveness and more speed at WR....etc.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 3, 2014 at 6:37 PM ]
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

I am a big fan of Bruce, but their athletic ability isn't close IMO. Cooks is ridiculously explosive athlete. He's the far superior fast twitch athlete of the two. His ability to stop on a dime and get back to full speed is ridiculous. Bubble screens and smoke routes all day. Cooks also plays with an edge to his game with a big chip on his shoulder. He has the same bully in him ala Q, Steve Smith, etc. My 2 favorite undervalued traits are toughness and competitiveness and Cooks gets the edge with both.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 3, 2014 at 6:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

They could also go CB first, that wouldn't surprise me either but I do think that if they are truly enamored with Cooks or Beckham, they'll move up to get them regardless of who else is available. In anycase, I don't expect any CB available to supplant Culliver or Brock as the starter.

Considering how loaded this team is, all you're drafting for is depth, potential and insurance. You're drafting for guys you can develop to replace people like Iupati a year or two down the road, you're drafting for depth in case of injury because there realistically are no starting spots available, you're drafting for explosiveness and more speed at WR....etc.

I like Cooks. But Fuller, Dennard, or Gilbert could challenge for a starting spot immediately and all bring much more value and potential at 17.
[ Edited by BigBug415 on May 3, 2014 at 6:48 PM ]
I like Cooks. But Fuller, Dennard, or Gilbert could challenge for a starting spot immediately and all bring much more value and potential.

Of course, it can go about a dozen different ways, this is just my best shot at predicting what the 49ers will do. As I said, this is a shot in the dark, my gut tells me that Cooks is the guy they are really most interested in, but it can be any number of other players.
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
I am a big fan of Bruce, but their athletic ability isn't close IMO. Cooks is ridiculously explosive athlete. He's the far superior fast twitch athlete of the two. His ability to stop on a dime and get back to full speed is ridiculous. Bubble screens and smoke routes all day. Cooks also plays with an edge to his game with a big chip on his shoulder. He has the same bully in him ala Q, Steve Smith, etc. My 2 favorite undervalued traits are toughness and competitiveness and Cooks gets the edge with both.

One of the best descriptions of Cooks that I've seen came from a Pittsburgh Steelers fan on another forum.

Cooks is Mike Wallace fast with Antonio Brown wiggle and hands.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 3, 2014 at 6:55 PM ]

Haha I like that.

Cooks is exactly the type of athlete you want against that Seattle secondary. Let them run their cover 3 press and bail, but if they fail to jam him off the line with his insane fast twitchiness he will get behind that coverage so fast Earl Thomas would be forced to choose to roll coverage to Cooks or Vernon with no time to hesitate. Pick your poison.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 3, 2014 at 7:13 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I prefer we grab Fuller if he's there. Cooks could slide later in the first and possibly early in the 2nd, maybe we package some rounds/players to get another 1st in the twenties...
Cooks definitely ain't sliding. He will be gone before pick 20 guaranteed.
Phoenix,
nice mock man. Would be crazy happy if this happened.
Also, bonus points for the research and being realistic.
Originally posted by LVJay:
I prefer we grab Fuller if he's there. Cooks could slide later in the first and possibly early in the 2nd, maybe we package some rounds/players to get another 1st in the twenties...

Yeah, I don't see that happening.

If Cooks were 6'0" he'd be in the conversation as the top WR with Watkins. I think if he's there at 18, the Jets will be all over him. He's the perfect WR for them to put alongside Decker and Hill.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 3, 2014 at 7:31 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone