LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

49ers have just traded up to the mid 1st round, you're Trent Baalke, who do you take?

49ers have just traded up to the mid 1st round, you're Trent Baalke, who do you take?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
Seen some recent mocks that have Ellington going as high as late 1st so expect the unexpected.

I don't buy that at all, kind of how Patton was being listed as a potential late 1st rounder last year. I think Ellington still ends up going in the early 3rd round.

This, though I'd happily trade up in the 3rd, or even reach with #61 to make sure we get him. I think he'll be a stud, and he is unique in this draft.
Originally posted by cory4903:
Fuller

It almost has to be their #1 CB as that is the opening on the roster, we need a slot corner out of the draft.
I am also the opinion that we need a slot CB, but I wonder how much confidence the team has in the abilities Darryl Morris? It will definitely have an affect on the draft if they see him as a viable candidate for that role. We could be grooming another CB stud ala T Brock right under our noses. He definitely has all the measurables you look for.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 3, 2014 at 6:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
After all that I've seen and read in the Zone and in the media, I completely accept this draft is deep w/quality and quantity at WR and CB.

I'd like to see us trading back 4-6 picks into the second round and use our available 7th, 5th and maybe 4th to get up into 2-3rd rounds and get guys who will make an impact.

I REALLY think Beckham will be an excellent pro and I'm just as confident he'll be gone by pick 15.

I'm still big on Montcrief and Verret. But getting another CB and WR would be a good move w/so much quality in rounds 2-3.

I'll buy what you are selling. All this trade up talk can be a smoke screen to perhaps trading back and getting multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I agree with you that rounds 2 and 3 are deep with quality players. There is a slight possibility we can pick 4 players in round 2 and perhaps 3 or more in round 3. I can live with a draft like that.

Thanks.

4 players in round 2 would be totally off the Richter Scale.

I Trent works his magic that could be 4 potential starters.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Fuller or Cooks...
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by mayo49:
OBJ

I want to call him ODB. Ol' Dirtah!
Brandin Cooks! I think this guy is Steve Smith and Percy Harvin! Put him l in slot with Boldin and Crab outside! VD at TE as well and then we open up Gore and Kap to run and throw underneath! We also get big plays and the fly sweep is relevant again!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Darqueze Dennard NO DOUBT, without blinking twice!!!

This
Originally posted by 60sFan:
We are better at developing CB's. WR has to be first. OBJ all the way.

Several flaws with your thinking, yes we are good with developing late round picks or UFA and turning them into starters, but it took several years and we need top of the line dbs now. Also, if we can take late round talent and make them good starters/players, imagine theoretically, how good our Dbs will be if our coach is given upper echelon talent, How good our DL will be because our DBs are better. Sacks go up, interceptions go up and fumbles go up. Offense produces more because given more ops.

Wr waste of talent cause we can't develope them.

Also we are not like the saints or packers, we win with D, even though we need beat the hawks first, we still need to face teams like the falcons, packers, saints and if we can't stop them, even with OBJ, we won't be win a shoot out, at least not on a consistent enough basis to win the super bowl, we need a wr to develop and yet threaten from time to time when he gets playing time. and in the second is several candidates to be had.
Originally posted by GORO:
Love Cooks confidence and game but OB is a good return man and 49ers have the weakest return game in the division.

I would not like to see our first round draft pick, who we traded up for, who is playing in one of our weakest positions, exposed to injury by returning. I feel sure we can pick up a good hands man later in the draft for that.

Justin Gilbert if hes there at 15. OBJ is the pick if Gilbert is not there
1. Denard
2. Cook
3. Verrett

Not sold on Gilbert and would take Denard even if he was siting there. Don't want Beckham at all and hop we can avoid him. I want to see the Niners finally build that secondary up to a championship level. WR is so deep we can get a decent one in the following rounds even though I am very high on Cook.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by 60sFan:
We are better at developing CB's. WR has to be first. OBJ all the way.

Several flaws with your thinking, yes we are good with developing late round picks or UFA and turning them into starters, but it took several years and we need top of the line dbs now. Also, if we can take late round talent and make them good starters/players, imagine theoretically, how good our Dbs will be if our coach is given upper echelon talent, How good our DL will be because our DBs are better. Sacks go up, interceptions go up and fumbles go up. Offense produces more because given more ops.

Wr waste of talent cause we can't develope them.

Also we are not like the saints or packers, we win with D, even though we need beat the hawks first, we still need to face teams like the falcons, packers, saints and if we can't stop them, even with OBJ, we won't be win a shoot out, at least not on a consistent enough basis to win the super bowl, we need a wr to develop and yet threaten from time to time when he gets playing time. and in the second is several candidates to be had.

First off, I think you got the first part backwards. It's good DL that makes DB's better. 2nd part, it's the very reason we need a WR who has been coached up in a pro offense before they get to us. The more developed the better for us.
So many good prospects but they all have their kryptonite. It makes me afraid to even pick someone in the first round at this point. There's no Eric Reid all around solid prospects to choose from IMO outside of Watkins for our positions of need.
Cooks- subpar run blocking, not really smart for a run first team.
ODB- didn't look too good when the ball was contested, a big problem if teams are going to match their fastest corner with him.
Fuller- durability, not a smart idea to draft an aggressive fragile guy (see: Percy Harvin).
Dennard- not enough athleticism, he lacks the arm length and the speed to recover if he is beaten off the initial jam.
Pryor- over aggressive and violent, I could live with that but we don't need a safety off the bat with Bethea.
Bortles- A QB, very valuable if we decide to open up the offense during the regular season at all and expose Kap, but we can get a better backup.

Not included:
Verrett- short, would get posterized by the Calvin Johnson's, Vincent Jackson's and Demaryius Thomas's of the league. Luckily we don't play them as often as we would Percy Harvin, but we do play press and Verrett struggles very much in press.
Roby- Intangibles, has all the aggression and talent but something is off in his head. He gambles a lot and relies overly so on his athleticism.

Out of all the choices, I'd choose between Cooks and Verrett. They have all you want in their respective positions, just not in the size you want it.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on May 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM ]
lol @ Bortles being an option.
Share 49ersWebzone