There are 53 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Todd McShay rankings of WR's and DB's

WR's

First-round grades

1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson (Grade: 96): One of the four elite prospects in this draft, Watkins stands out for his acceleration, competitiveness and big-play ability.

2. Mike Evans, Texas A&M (Grade: 94): Good top-end speed and big-play ability for his size, strong hands and success rate on 50-50 balls. He's a very competitive runner after the catch.

3. Odell Beckham Jr., LSU (Grade: 91): He can heat it up in a hurry and has very good top-end speed, in addition to being dangerous with the ball in his hands.

4. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State (Grade: 90): Ran the fastest 40-yard-dash time of any receiver at the combine (4.33 seconds), is a very good route runner and plays bigger than his size (5-foot-10, 189 pounds).

Second-round grades

5. Marqise Lee, USC (Grade: 89): He isn't a burner, but he plays faster than his timed speed would indicate. He struggled with ball skills in 2013 but was very productive his first two seasons.

6. Cody Latimer, Indiana (Grade: 88): A good fit for a West Coast offense with his size, toughness and instincts. Latimer possesses great ball skills and good straight-line speed.

7. Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State (Grade: 86): He has erratic ball skills and doesn't possess elite speed, but he is a potential matchup nightmare because of his size to win 50-50 balls.

8. Davante Adams, Fresno State (Grade: 82): A confident and physical route runner, Adams uses his size and ball skills to make up for a lack of elite top-end speed.

9. Jarvis Landry, LSU (Grade: 81): He isn't an explosive vertical or run-after-catch threat, but he is a tough, physical competitor who does all the little things right. Landry uses quickness and savvy to separate from coverage.

Third-round grades

10. Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt (Grade: 79): He doesn't make many defenders miss after the catch and has just adequate initial burst off the line. However Matthews has good top-end speed for his size and strong overall ball skills.

11. Bruce Ellington, South Carolina (Grade: 78): He's a competitive receiver with a very good ability to separate and natural hands. He has the speed to be a vertical threat but lacks the size to consistently win battles for 50-50 balls.

12. Paul Richardson, Colorado (Grade: 76): He has a thin frame and lacks ideal strength but possesses an excellent combination of fluidity, quickness and speed.

13. Martavis Bryant, Clemson (Grade: 73): He has huge potential as a vertical route runner because of his length and top-end speed. Bryant dropped way too many passes in college.

14. Brandon Coleman, Rutgers (Grade: 72): He's a big target at 6-6, 225, and has good top-end for his size. Coleman's ball skills are inconsistent and he didn't show great separation skills in college.

15. Allen Robinson, Penn State (Grade: 71): He lacks good top-end speed as a vertical route runner but is a big, reliable pass-catcher with strong hands. He needs to become stronger and more physical as a route-runner.

16. Robert Herron, Wyoming (Grade: 70): Undersized with good combination of quickness, speed and good run-after-catch ability. Herron needs to add strength as a route-runner.

DB'S

First Round Grades

1. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama (Grade: 93): The top defensive back in this year's class, Clinton-Dix has very good range, instincts, ball skills and playmaking ability.

2. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State (Grade: 92): He was a true shutdown corner this past season at Michigan State and has the physicality to hold up in press coverage and run support.

3. Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville (Grade: 91): A tone-setter who is at his best playing in the box and serving as a hammer in run support. Isn't afraid to deliver a knockout blow.

4. Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State (Grade: 91): Possesses elite straight-line speed and ball skills, although he isn't very physical.

5. Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech (Grade: 90): Has very good ball skills and is physical in run support. Good instincts and awareness as well.

Second-round grades

6. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU (Grade: 89): He's undersized but plays bigger and isn't afraid to deliver a big hit. He also has elite top-end speed and movement skills, allowing him to stick to receivers in coverage.

7. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State (Grade: 88): He might be the most physically gifted corner in this class, with a very good combination of length, straight-line speed and fluidity. Needs to improve his focus and eye discipline as well as show more maturity off the field.

8. Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State (Grade: 86): He is a playmaker in coverage and very effective when helping in run support. Needs to show better discipline.

9. Lamarcus Joyner, CB, Florida State (Grade: 84): He is undersized but possesses very good playmaking ability and versatility.

10. Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois (Grade: 83): He is a poor man's Earl Thomas in that he is versatile in coverage and strong in run support despite not having ideal size for the position. Has good ball skills but can improve overall focus.

11. Stan Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska (Grade: 80): He doesn't have ideal timed speed for a cornerback but makes up for it with his Richard Sherman-like measurables (6-foot-3, 218 pounds with long arms).

Third-round grades

12. Terrence Brooks, S, Florida State (Grade: 77): He's good in run support despite lacking prototypical size, and he has average cover skills and below-average ball skills. Good overall discipline.

13. Bashaud Breeland, CB, Clemson (Grade: 74): He is a flexible and fluid athlete for a taller corner with above-average range, although his top-end speed is below average. An aggressive tackler in run support.

14. Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice (Grade: 73): Displays outstanding ball skills and above-average recognition skills, but he must improve his strength to hold up in run support and against bigger receivers in coverage.

15. Keith McGill, CB, Utah (Grade: 72): He's a potential target for teams looking for big corners, as he measures 6-3, 211. He has above-average range and is best-suited for press-man or zone coverage.

16. Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida (Grade: 71): Durability is a concern, and he must continue to add bulk to his frame. Has good recognition and ball skills and has the tools to be an effective NFL corner if he can improve his consistency.

17. Vic Hampton, CB, South Carolina (Grade: 70): Has above-average playmaking instincts and is tough and aggressive in run support. He posted below-average timed-speed and agility drills but shows easy turn-and-run ability on tape.

Interesting to see that he has Clinton-Dix and Pryor ranked so high but otherwise, the list is pretty straightforward.
I have to say.. I agree with most of these rankings.
So I guess he isn't very high on Donte Moncrief. Also no Jaylen Watkins with the DBs. I'd put both of those guys easily in the top 3 rounds and would think they could both be 2nd round picks.
I agree 100% with this list.

Been saying Donte Moncrief=1st round measurables, 4th round talent
Do folks agree that M. Bryant dropped too many passes? Otherwise, a Beckham/Cooks and Bryant package might be ideal.
I would cream my pants if we came away from this draft with:

Cody Latimer
Bruce Ellington
Jason Verrett or Philip Gaines
and Deone Buchannon
We need Verrett to counter Percy Harvin and Tavon Austin and very likely, Sammy Watkins!
Trade First and third, move up for OBJ
Trade both seconds, move up for Verrett
Madden ratings!
Originally posted by GNS1310:

Love cooks too.
im surprised Pierre Desir is not here. I think he could be a late 2nd. Early 3rd.
OBJ highlights make me think of Harvin. We need a guy like that. But if we can get Matthews in the 2nd or 3rd, that would be a steal.
[ Edited by niners94 on May 3, 2014 at 1:59 PM ]
I think Allen Robinson is being a little underrated here, I mean, I don't want us to draft him but he should be in round 2, plays a lot like Reggie Wayne and Wayne did his damn thang
I like the 3rd round CB's more than the 3rd round WR's.
Originally posted by GNS1310:

Ill sign up for this