There are 54 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Final Eswyoung08 2014 Mock Draft

Wow! It has been an extremely long offseason lol. I would like to thank everybody for their hours of research, scouting, and commentary it is truly appreciated and gives me something to do while I'm stuck at work during the week. Please let me know what you think of this mock! Thanks!

1+3b Jason Verrett CB 5'9", 189 lbs, TCU- A slot corner capable of matching up with the myriad shifty receivers we face this season.

2a. Terrence Brooks S 5'10", 198 lbs, FSU- A rangy centerfielder safety who can back up both safety positions and eventually succeed Bethea as soon as he gets over the hill.

2b. Davante Adams WR 6'0, 212 lbs, Fresno- A high character, high upside player who could succeed Crabtree or Boldin's (if Crabtree stays) role in our offense. He could prosper with a year learning from the veterans on our team. I wanted to do Landry here, but he doesn't have as much upside.

3a. Jaylen Watkins CB 5'11", 194 lbs, Florida - A versatile defender who can play slot and boundary. He can be injury insurance for our starting corners and step in if we decide to cut Cully.

3c. Dominique Easley DT 6'2", 288 lbs, Florida- A dominant lineman for Florida, he would provide excellent rotation with McDonald and Carradine when the Cowboy retires. Just imagine the pressure we could create with Carradine and Easley in obvious passing situations.

4. David Fales QB 6'1", 212 lbs, SJSU- A solid prospect who will find himself in familiar territory as Kap's backup.

5. Brandon Thomas G 6'3", 317 lbs, Clemson- A monstrous guard/tackle now picked up for a bargain on injury special.

7. John Urschel C 6'3", 313 lbs, Penn State- A practice squad candidate who could compete with Kilgore for the starting job. He was winner of the Campbell trophy (Academic Heisman) and put up very good numbers for a center at the combine.

7. Quincy Enunwa WR/TE 6'2", 225lbs, Nebraska- Eerily similar to Delanie Walker. I think he would give Celek a run for the 3rd TE spot and would provide much better value on special teams.

7. Rajion Neal RB 5'11", 220 lbs, Tennessee- A high upside back who can hopefully make it through on our practice squad.

S: Reid, Bethea, Spillman, Dahl, Brooks+ (5)
CB: Brock, Wright, Cully, Watkins+, Verrett+, Morris (6)
LB: Smith, Lemonier, Willis, (Bowman), Brooks, Skuta, Wilhoite, Moody (7/8)
DL: Smith, Carradine, TJE, Williams, Dorsey, McDonald, Dial (7)

QB: Kap, Gabbert, Fales+ (3)
RB: Gore, Lattimore, Hunter, LMJ (4)
FB: Miller (1)
TE: Davis, McDonald, Enunwa+ (3)
WR: Crabs, Patton, Boldin, Osgood, Adams+, Lloyd (6)
OL: Staley, Davis, Iupati, Boone, Kilgore, Snyder, Looney, Martin (8)

S/T Lee, Dawson, McDermott (3)
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on May 2, 2014 at 6:57 PM ]
[b] Quincy Enunwa WR/TE a TE really how so ???
I like the mock for our defense, but not much is given to help our WR core.
My opinion may be a little biased, as I am not a fan of Adams... But I would like to see a more speedy/ slot WR than a Crabs/Boldin back up.

My only two changed would be the Brooks and Adams picks. I think we draft either a linebacker or D-lineman with that second pick.

Good mock dude, also bonus points for keeping it realistic
Re: Quincy Enunwa, I see some pretty significant bulking-up necessary for him to be able to block like an NFL TE, and that's if he even has the ability and tenacity to do so.

The player I see as a pretty close emulation of Delanie is Gator Hoskins. And I would certainly be on-board with selecting him in the 7th/UDFA.
verrett and Watkins? I am all for getting two CBs but they have similar skillsets but verrett is much more polished. IMO I would rather the team go for verrett and a legit outside CB like McGill or desir.

is the davante adams pick suggesting you do not think we will resign crabtree because they are close comparisons?
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
verrett and Watkins? I am all for getting two CBs but they have similar skillsets but verrett is much more polished. IMO I would rather the team go for verrett and a legit outside CB like McGill or desir.

is the davante adams pick suggesting you do not think we will resign crabtree because they are close comparisons?

I have Davante Adams in case we don't re-sign Crabtree, if we do re-sign him then I think he will be a capable successor to Boldin if given tutelage in the meantime.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I like the mock for our defense, but not much is given to help our WR core.
My opinion may be a little biased, as I am not a fan of Adams... But I would like to see a more speedy/ slot WR than a Crabs/Boldin back up.

My only two changed would be the Brooks and Adams picks. I think we draft either a linebacker or D-lineman with that second pick.

Good mock dude, also bonus points for keeping it realistic

I am optimistic that Crabtree will stay with us. I also feel that Patton is a quality receiver, with Lloyd/Baldwin as a 5th option, I didn't think we were hurting too bad at receiver for this year. After all there is next years draft to get receivers as well if we do lose Crabs.

Also thanks for the compliment! It's so hard figuring out who to put where and what would be likely to happen.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on May 2, 2014 at 8:01 PM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 200 for ESWYoung08.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
[b] Quincy Enunwa WR/TE a TE really how so ???

If he bulks up 10-15 lbs he will be Delanie 2.0 with blocking, speed, and red zone ability.
The Terence Brooks pick would be my biggest beef. Why spend your second pick on a guy that will probably spend 2+ years on the bench when there are more pressing issues? CB, WR, DT, OLB, and KR/PR if we dump LMJ are all bigger needs at this pick. Even OG and ILB depth supersede our need for a safety.
[ Edited by Karma on May 2, 2014 at 8:26 PM ]
Ok
So which 5 of these guys do we cut before the season starts?
[ Edited by Wisconsin49erfan on May 2, 2014 at 8:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Karma:
The Terence Brooks pick would be my biggest beef. Why spend your second pick on a guy that will probably spend 2+ years on the bench when there are more pressing issues? CB, WR, DT, OLB, and KR/PR if we dump LMJ are all bigger needs at this pick. Even OG and ILB depth supersede our need for a safety.

My reasoning was that Bethea may be over the hill soon, Reid May concuss himself out of the league, and I'd rather not depend on Dahl if either one of them go down. For guard we have Looney, Martin and Snyder as backups. For ILB we have Wilhoite, Willis, and Moody with Bowman coming back. I didn't see the value in picking up a guard or LB early when we could still get quality players at that position later and cheaper. I also believe some quality PR/KR guys could be had as udfa's if we got rid of LMJ.
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
So which 5 of these guys do we cut before the season starts?

Neal, Urschel PS
Easley, Thomas IR
The rest can make the squad replacing Baldwin WR, Cooks CB, Cox CB, Celek TE, Ventrone S
I love this mock just switch Adams for Matthews or Robinson and I'm good.
Verrett is a solid pick. At the very least, he should be an excellent slot corner, with the mentality and technique to be really good on the outside. I look at him as a much more athletic version of Brandon Flowers.

I can't see us taking a safety with our 2nd pick. Brooks would be stuck on the sidelines, and we need that pick to at least be able to contribute in a part-time role either on offense or defense. No bench riders with this pick. Bethea is not over the hill, and we can address the future of the position at another time. Perhaps we go safety later in the draft for depth/development.

I really like Adams. Impressive athlete that is really good after the catch. Crabtree clone.

Easley pick reminds me of how we got Ray McDonald. Another Florida d-lineman projected to go late 1st - early 2nd, but injuries drop him to the 3rd. We profit again.