There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

overblown scenrioes of trading up in the draft

it makes no sense to trade up , there is no need for a potential skill player for us to grab , what we should do is trade down for somebody number 1 for next year , but for this year there 2nd rd pick not up , for people who want evans or verrett of fuller . we have potential better offers that we can draft late in the 2nd and 3rd, wr .. matthews the kid has the it factor that keenan allen had last year,and devin streets another sleeper cbs we can get either sjb , or mcgillis , or the sleeper from north carolina dontae johnson , it makes no sense for the trade up
this belongs in the draft forums

IBTL
Here we go yo, here we go yo, so what's the what's the what's the scenrioes.

It makes all the sense in the world to trade up and secure the player they like on their draft board. If they trade down, pick up some 2015 picks.
it actually makes too much sense. the roster is loaded plus the addition of dial, tank and lattimore will leave leave even less spots. unless they trade up for sammy watkins or something crazy like that they will STILL have more picks than 99% of NFL after trading up.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 2, 2014 at 6:09 PM ]
Ok since this moved ill voice my thoughts. It makes total sense to trade up. We have little needs and a plethora of draft picks. At our situation, quality > quantity.
You better not watch the draft then or else you are going to be very disappointed. Why sit at 30 and settle for what may or may not fall. It makes no sense. If Baalke wants a CB, trade up for Fuller or Dennard. If he wants a receiver, trade up for Beckham or Evans or Watkins. A trade up for any one of those five is not going to handcuff the FO going forward with the ammo we have. You go get players, you don't wait when you have 11 picks.
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
it makes no sense to trade up , there is no need for a potential skill player for us to grab , what we should do is trade down for somebody number 1 for next year , but for this year there 2nd rd pick not up , for people who want evans or verrett of fuller . we have potential better offers that we can draft late in the 2nd and 3rd, wr .. matthews the kid has the it factor that keenan allen had last year,and devin streets another sleeper cbs we can get either sjb , or mcgillis , or the sleeper from north carolina dontae johnson , it makes no sense for the trade up

Were you high when you posted this???
Why not? Outside CB and WR, this team has very few glaring needs. If the team has circled in a guy that they like and they're willing to trade up for him (we have plenty of ammo to do so), I think it's not only logical but very likely that a trade up occurs.

Out of our 11 picks, we have 6 in the first three rounds. When the roster get scaled down to the final 53, it's not likely more than 5-6 will stick. So why not trade up for quality impact players we like?
We don't have many holes. We can afford a modest trade up or two.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
okay just because I have to do this....This is from my research for my mock that I'll be posting this weekend......Nice plug right?

The Core (based off of starting, contributions, contracts)

1. Kaepernick, Colin QB
  2. Gore, Frank RB
  3. Hunter, Kendall RB
  4. Lattimore, Marcus RB
  5. Davis, Vernon TE
  6. McDonald, Vance TE
  7. Boldin, Anquan WR
  8. Crabtree, Michael WR
  9. Patton, Quinton WR
  10. Osgood, Kassim WR
  11. Miller, Bruce FB
  12. Staley, Joe T
  13. Iupati, Mike G
  14. Kilgore, Daniel C
  15. Boone, Alex G
  16. Davis, Anthony T
  17. Looney, Joe G

1. Dial, Quinton DL
  2. Dorsey, Glenn DL
  3. McDonald, Ray DT
  4. Smith, Justin DT
  5. Carradine, Tank DT
  6. Williams, Ian NT
  7. Jerod-Eddie, Tony DT
  8. Willis, Patrick LB
  9. Bowman, NaVorro LB
  10. Brooks, Ahmad LB
  11. Smith, Aldon LB
  12. Lemonier, Corey LB
  13. Moody, Nick LB
  14. Skuta, Dan LB
  15. Wilhoite, Michael LB
  16. Brock, Tramaine CB
  17. Culliver, Chris CB
  18. Morris, Darryl CB
  19. Reid, Eric S
  20. Bethea, Antoine S
  21. Dahl, Craig S
  22. Spillman, C.J. S
  23. Ventrone, Bubba S

1. Dawson, Phil K
  2. McDermott, Kevin LS
  3. Lee, Andy P

Players that will likely still still be on the team during the regular season

1. Snyder, Adam G
  2. Gabbert, Blaine QB
  3. Martin, Jonathan T
  4. Chris Cook CB
  5. Bradon Lloyd WR
  6. Perrish Cox CB
  7. LaMichael James RB

Players with highest chance of making the practice squad and an outside chance at the 53

1. Carter Bykowski OL
  2. Chuck Jacobs WR
  3. Dax Swanson CB
  4. Campbell, D.J. S
  5. Luke Marquardt OL
  6. Al Netter OL
  7. Lawrence Okoye DL

Players with highest likelihood of being cut/replaced

1. Bethel-Thompson, McLeod QB
  2. Hampton, Jewel RB
  3. Celek, Garrett TE
  4. Carrier, Derek TE
  5. Dobbs, Demarcus TE/DT
  6. Baldwin, Jon WR
  7. Tukuafu, Will FB
  8. Seymour, Ryan OG
  9. Fleming, Darius LB

Training camp bodies

1. Reed, David WR
  2. Sampson, DeMarco WR
  3. Wylie, Devon WR
  4. Purcell, Mike DT
  5. Christian Tupou
  6. Schmidt, Colton P

SO for the TL:DR version. We've got 43 core players that are almost set in stone, 7 more that will 75-90% be on the roster on week 1. I do have doubts about Cook, Martin, and Gabbert but either way they are replaceable with 3rd rounders or later, especially Gabbert because of the depth of QB this year, I think Marquardt may very well beat Martin out for the final OL spot, Ryan Seymour may even knock Adam Snyder of the 53, Dax Swanson is a dark horse that could supplant either Cook or Cox.

Of the 22 players outside of the top 50 -- most of them have NFL experience and I'd bet money that at least 3/4s of them would be claimed or signed to active rosters after we release them.

We in all honesty probably have AT MOST 5 roster spots open for this season. If we actually select more than that they will be day 3 players we are really giving fliers on or given our now obvious desire to redshirt players they could be medically question players like Easley, Colvin, Millard.

I reiterate, I believe we have at best 3 to 5 spots on THIS year's final 53 open for the taking. If Baalke doesn't trade up it would be a huge WTF?!
[ Edited by sfout on May 2, 2014 at 9:31 PM ]
I'm only down to move up for a corner who can start immediately.
Did you notice last year how crabtree and boldin had to overextend their bodies to catch the ball. why? Kaep is good, but at 6'4 even with a 3 quarters release he is not as accurate as you would like him to be. Luckily we have 2 excellent receivers. so what's missing? I think it's a go too rec that supercedes anything we currently have. And that person is Kelvin Benjamin. Height Hands Leaping ability- he hangs in the air- and for a big man very good speed. I noticed when Kaep threw to vance mcDonald that he did not look as pressured, he did not have to try as hard. A bigger target seems to help him. Beckham, and Marquise lee are gifted but do not warrant moving up in the draft. The latest rumors have the niners trading up, I think it's amistake. What you're seeing is panick. If we do move up it will be because someone is trying to save his job.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kryptonite13:
Did you notice last year how crabtree and boldin had to overextend their bodies to catch the ball. why? Kaep is good, but at 6'4 even with a 3 quarters release he is not as accurate as you would like him to be. Luckily we have 2 excellent receivers. so what's missing? I think it's a go too rec that supercedes anything we currently have. And that person is Kelvin Benjamin. Height Hands Leaping ability- he hangs in the air- and for a big man very good speed. I noticed when Kaep threw to vance mcDonald that he did not look as pressured, he did not have to try as hard. A bigger target seems to help him. Beckham, and Marquise lee are gifted but do not warrant moving up in the draft. The latest rumors have the niners trading up, I think it's amistake. What you're seeing is panick. If we do move up it will be because someone is trying to save his job.

LOL?

So you're saying Jed is considering firing Baalke and/or Harbaugh? Because in all likelihood there is going to be some sort of a trade up. We simply don't have enough holes in the roster to sit back and take BPA.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Ok since this moved ill voice my thoughts. It makes total sense to trade up. We have little needs and a plethora of draft picks. At our situation, quality > quantity.

this

the 49ers simply don't have room for 11 draft picks, add in Tank, Lattimore, Dial injured rookies from last year then factor in Ian Williams and Chris Culliver coming back from injury and that's 16 players who weren't on our final 53 last year, that's far too many. I think this team can trade up, get a big time CB or WR (hopefully CB) in the 1st and still get a few more, future starter quality players in the draft.
Originally posted by sfout:
okay just because I have to do this....This is from my research for my mock that I'll be posting this weekend......Nice plug right?

The Core (based off of starting, contributions, contracts)

1. Kaepernick, Colin QB
  2. Gore, Frank RB
  3. Hunter, Kendall RB
  4. Lattimore, Marcus RB
  5. Davis, Vernon TE
  6. McDonald, Vance TE
  7. Boldin, Anquan WR
  8. Crabtree, Michael WR
  9. Patton, Quinton WR
  10. Osgood, Kassim WR
  11. Miller, Bruce FB
  12. Staley, Joe T
  13. Iupati, Mike G
  14. Kilgore, Daniel C
  15. Boone, Alex G
  16. Davis, Anthony T
  17. Looney, Joe G
  1. Dial, Quinton DL
  2. Dorsey, Glenn DL
  3. McDonald, Ray DT
  4. Smith, Justin DT
  5. Carradine, Tank DT
  6. Williams, Ian NT
  7. Jerod-Eddie, Tony DT
  8. Willis, Patrick LB
  9. Bowman, NaVorro LB
  10. Brooks, Ahmad LB
  11. Smith, Aldon LB
  12. Lemonier, Corey LB
  13. Moody, Nick LB
  14. Skuta, Dan LB
  15. Wilhoite, Michael LB
  16. Brock, Tramaine CB
  17. Culliver, Chris CB
  18. Morris, Darryl CB
  19. Reid, Eric S
  20. Bethea, Antoine S
  21. Dahl, Craig S
  22. Spillman, C.J. S
  23. Ventrone, Bubba S
  1. Dawson, Phil K
  2. McDermott, Kevin LS
  3. Lee, Andy P
Players that will likely still still be on the team during the regular season

1. Snyder, Adam G
  2. Gabbert, Blaine QB
  3. Martin, Jonathan T
  4. Chris Cook CB
  5. Bradon Lloyd WR
  6. Perrish Cox CB
  7. LaMichael James RB
Players with highest chance of making the practice squad and an outside chance at the 53

1. Carter Bykowski OL
  2. Chuck Jacobs WR
  3. Dax Swanson CB
  4. Campbell, D.J. S
  5. Luke Marquardt OL
  6. Al Netter OL
  7. Lawrence Okoye DL
Players with highest likelihood of being cut/replaced

1. Bethel-Thompson, McLeod QB
  2. Hampton, Jewel RB
  3. Celek, Garrett TE
  4. Carrier, Derek TE
  5. Dobbs, Demarcus TE/DT
  6. Baldwin, Jon WR
  7. Tukuafu, Will FB
  8. Seymour, Ryan OG
  9. Fleming, Darius LB
Training camp bodies

1. Reed, David WR
  2. Sampson, DeMarco WR
  3. Wylie, Devon WR
  4. Purcell, Mike DT
  5. Christian Tupou
  6. Schmidt, Colton P
SO for the TL:DR version. We've got 43 core players that are almost set in stone, 7 more that will 75-90% be on the roster on week 1. I do have doubts about Cook, Martin, and Gabbert but either way they are replaceable with 3rd rounders or later, especially Gabbert because of the depth of QB this year, I think Marquardt may very well beat Martin out for the final OL spot, Ryan Seymour may even knock Adam Snyder of the 53, Dax Swanson is a dark horse that could supplant either Cook or Cox.

Of the 22 players outside of the top 50 -- most of them have NFL experience and I'd bet money that at least 3/4s of them would be claimed or signed to active rosters after we release them.

We in all honesty probably have AT MOST 5 roster spots open for this season. If we actually select more than that they will be day 3 players we are really giving fliers on or given our now obvious desire to redshirt players they could be medically question players like Easley, Colvin, Millard.

I reiterate, I believe we have at best 3 to 5 spots on THIS year's final 53 open for the taking. If Baalke doesn't trade up it would be a huge WTF?!
Good research. I think the team would be wise to trade up in the 1st and maybe again in the 2nd (or back into the 1st whichever) get at least 2 studs at CB, WR. Then fill a couple needs such as another CB (I think we need 2) maybe a OLB, safety, interior OL and a QB. That's 6 picks total, then fill the rest of the picks by either trading them for better picks in 2015 or drafting injured players again (some good ones this year) to stash on IR for next year.