LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

OTC's Big 256 Board -- Mock Included (5/1/14)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-34w8kGPM

OTC, well-done effort. Glad to see you have relented from abstinence and joined the madness. Will be fun to compare notes as the draft begins.
Don't think the average 49er fan would be energized by this draft.

I personally have a hard time getting excited about a CB with 4.62,speed or picking 2 O-linemen that aren't a center.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
OTC, thanks for putting this together. Nice work.

Quick question, why two offensive lineman and not two WR's? Like Dozier and Mewhort as prospects, but one of those picks could be another WR like Jarvis Landry or Jared Abbredaris. Just asking......

I'm actually "stacking" the mock. I think we will target both players, and you're right they'd probably only select one or the other, but I chose not to predict what other trade we might do, because I have a feeling we will make some movement with one of those third rounders. I'll post one more mock before the draft.

Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

I personally have a hard time getting excited about a CB with 4.62,speed or picking 2 O-linemen that aren't a center.

I understand what all of us fans want, but the fact of the matter is, it never turns out that way. Know what I mean? We all have this perfect idea on paper of what it's going to be, but it's not until we see things through a different lens after the draft occurs that we see the greater picture. I frame all my team projections with that mindset. I try not to oversimplify, but forecast from what I feel Baalke's perspective is. He makes some picks that don't thrill people and never has the "perfect draft" everyone hopes for. He has good, solid drafts, and that's what I aim to predict.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 2, 2014 at 6:56 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
OTC, well-done effort. Glad to see you have relented from abstinence and joined the madness. Will be fun to compare notes as the draft begins.

As much as I hate the long wait for the draft, it actually gave me the extra time I needed to get all this done this year. I couldn't stay away!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

2014 49ers Mock Based on the Above "General Area" Projection:

Trades: 49ers move up in the 1st, trading their 1st, 2nd, and 4th for a 1st, 5th and a 6th.

1. Odell Beckham Jr.-WR-LSU, 5-11 198 4.43

49ers have made it no secret they were looking for a slot receiver. They brought in numerous FAs and couldn't land one, so they go get one here.

2. Marcus Smith-OLB-Louisville, 6-3 258 4.68

Productive, playmaking OLB who knows the 3-4 system. 49ers spoke to him at Senior Bowl, meaning there's a real chance we take him.

3. Bashaud Breeland-CB-Clemson, 5-11 197 4.62
Lots of untapped potential. Baalke displayed significant interest.

3. Dakota Dozier-OG/C-Furman, 6-4 314 5.29

Some teams worked out Dozier at center. Small school player with tons of upside. Seems like the prototypical Baalke selection.

3. Jack Mewhort-T/G-Ohio State, 6-6 309 5.37
Don't expect the 49ers to put their eggs in the Jonathan Martin basket or give him a pass if he falters. They'll likely get insurance.

5. Dezmen Southward-S-Wisconsin, 6-0 211 4.40

Terrific athletic combination of size and speed with ability to groom.

5. Taylor Hart-DE-Oregon, 6-6 281 4.86
Versatile player, something the 49ers like in DL prospects. Room to grow and could be a nice prospect to mold.

6. Brock Coyle-ILB-Montana, 6-1 235 4.67

Ferocious hitter, playmaker, and an extremely under-the-radar small-school talent. I think he's on our target list.

7. Garrett Gilbert-QB-SMU, 6-3 221 4.86
Good size and mobility, with a lot of developable traits. Probably one of a number of late round QBs on the 49ers radar.

7. Aaron Colvin-CB-Oklahoma, 5-11 177 4.51
Could be another stashed CB we have to compete for a spot in 2015.

7. Gator Hoskins-TE/FB-Marshall, 6-2 253 4.71
Perfect fit at the H-back spot. Tremendous contributor for Marshall and played big in big games. Niners spoke to him at Senior Bowl.

In my opinion, that is a bad, maybe even a horrible, draft.

But, if history is a indicator of the future, your drat is almost certainly more realistic than any draft I would envision.

As much as I hate the long wait for the draft, it actually gave me the extra time I needed to get all this done this year. I couldn't stay away!

Every year, after draft weekend, I vow to walk away from this, and every year I get suckered back in. Call me a sucker, or an addict.
I HAVE A DREAM.......That Kelvin Benjamin Will Be a 49er...........That Trent Murphy Will Ware The Red and Gold.......That Daniel McCullers shall Stand Tall and Strong as our Nose Tackle...... That Cyril Richardson shall Open Giant Holes for Marcus Lattimore to run through...... and there's more........what it all amounts to is this.........there is so much talent on this team that it is impractical to believe that we won't win the next Superbowl.......and the one after that and the one after that............Happy DRAFT DAY everybody ENJOY!
Originally posted by buck:

2014 49ers Mock Based on the Above "General Area" Projection:

Trades: 49ers move up in the 1st, trading their 1st, 2nd, and 4th for a 1st, 5th and a 6th.

1. Odell Beckham Jr.-WR-LSU, 5-11 198 4.43

49ers have made it no secret they were looking for a slot receiver. They brought in numerous FAs and couldn't land one, so they go get one here.

2. Marcus Smith-OLB-Louisville, 6-3 258 4.68

Productive, playmaking OLB who knows the 3-4 system. 49ers spoke to him at Senior Bowl, meaning there's a real chance we take him.

3. Bashaud Breeland-CB-Clemson, 5-11 197 4.62
Lots of untapped potential. Baalke displayed significant interest.

3. Dakota Dozier-OG/C-Furman, 6-4 314 5.29

Some teams worked out Dozier at center. Small school player with tons of upside. Seems like the prototypical Baalke selection.

3. Jack Mewhort-T/G-Ohio State, 6-6 309 5.37
Don't expect the 49ers to put their eggs in the Jonathan Martin basket or give him a pass if he falters. They'll likely get insurance.

5. Dezmen Southward-S-Wisconsin, 6-0 211 4.40

Terrific athletic combination of size and speed with ability to groom.

5. Taylor Hart-DE-Oregon, 6-6 281 4.86
Versatile player, something the 49ers like in DL prospects. Room to grow and could be a nice prospect to mold.

6. Brock Coyle-ILB-Montana, 6-1 235 4.67

Ferocious hitter, playmaker, and an extremely under-the-radar small-school talent. I think he's on our target list.

7. Garrett Gilbert-QB-SMU, 6-3 221 4.86
Good size and mobility, with a lot of developable traits. Probably one of a number of late round QBs on the 49ers radar.

7. Aaron Colvin-CB-Oklahoma, 5-11 177 4.51
Could be another stashed CB we have to compete for a spot in 2015.

7. Gator Hoskins-TE/FB-Marshall, 6-2 253 4.71
Perfect fit at the H-back spot. Tremendous contributor for Marshall and played big in big games. Niners spoke to him at Senior Bowl.

In my opinion, that is a bad, maybe even a horrible, draft.

But, if history is a indicator of the future, your drat is almost certainly more realistic than any draft I would envision.

Buck, every year, MadDog and I list out the selections we would've taken over who the 49ers grabbed, based on our value/needs boards. It's hard not to use one's own bias when making mocks, but I try to stay as far away from that as possible, because I am not the GM and I am not making a mock for myself.

We'll see what Baalke does. And hey, there is still the final mock to look forward to. I will crank that out probably Tuesday.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Buck, every year, MadDog and I list out the selections we would've taken over who the 49ers grabbed, based on our value/needs boards. It's hard not to use one's own bias when making mocks, but I try to stay as far away from that as possible, because I am not the GM and I am not making a mock for myself.

We'll see what Baalke does. And hey, there is still the final mock to look forward to. I will crank that out probably Tuesday.

I was attempting to be humorous, and mocking my own annual confusion.

I guess I was not very successful.

I love this for real.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

This might be splitting hairs, but he did run a 4.57 at his pro day.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/page/10/
[ Edited by GorefullBore on May 4, 2014 at 7:53 PM ]
Can't lie... that mock is legit.
I just think Desir>Breeland.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I just think Desir>Breeland.

I actually agree, personally -- in terms of long term success projections. But again, it won't be up to me on draft day.
Share 49ersWebzone