LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 193 users in the forums

49ers WORST 1st Rd. Pick Ever!!!

• LVJay
  • Veteran
The worst is still to come.... maybe in 2021.
Despite his late turnaround I'm still going to say... Alex Smith. Yup I went there.
Originally posted by 49glory:
Despite his late turnaround I'm still going to say... Alex Smith. Yup I went there.

Just for the hell of it, we got two 2nd round picks for him. What did we get for Rashaun Woods? McGrew?

NFL teams offer two second rounders to get hold of a total bust? No. So let's not be silly.
Has to be AJ Jenkins. Yeah Balmer and Harris sucked but at least they could play like a 5th round pick should. Same with McGrew, Drunkenstupid sucked big time but he did show up to camp with his girlfriend Julie Cialini the Playmate of the Year. got to give him props for that.

AJ Jenkins wasn't worth a 7th round pick. He sat on the bench as a rookie while we called up guys from the practice squad to play ahead of him. He dropped the only ball thrown to him which should have been an easy catch. The following year in preseason he caught his 1st pass and immediately fumbled. The 49ers said enough and traded him for a bust.

JJ Stokes hurt but if you watched him play you wouldn't have been dissapointed if he had been drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. He wasn't a complete waste. A major dissapointment considering we traded up for him but he was an average player. AJ Jenkins would have been a bust as a 7th round pick. He couldn't have made the team as a ball boy.
Alex Smith
K. Balmer
D. Hall
M. Rumph
R. Woods
R. McGrew
AJ Jenkins

to name a few which popped in my head of recent past. this list is no particular order.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
You forget that the team traded Up to get JJ Stokes. Yikes.

Stokes was a solid # 3 receiver for many years, hardly worthy of a top ten pick, but not a total bust either.
Originally posted by BobS:

Stokes was a solid # 3 receiver for many years, hardly worthy of a top ten pick, but not a total bust either.

Yeah I wouldn't put him in the same zip code as guys like Rashaun Woods and AJ Jenkins.

I would have to put Rashaun Woods at my top spot. My main reason is because that team was TERRIBLE offensively, and was really relying on him to be the replacement for TO. He couldn't even see the field when he was competing with Cedrick Wilson, Brandon Lloyd, Arnaz Battle, and a really old Curtis Conway.
KWAME HARRIS
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 49glory:

Just for the hell of it, we got two 2nd round picks for him. What did we get for Rashaun Woods? McGrew?

NFL teams offer two second rounders to get hold of a total bust? No. So let's not be silly.
its just another way of doing the same thing about a certain player that has been a way of life to some here on the zone,, in my opinion and i hope this thread does not go down the same predictable path as so many others before it

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:

i think most of the good people who know football like you think the price we paid was the bad thing. hell jj may still have been there for us had we not made that trade.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Yeah I wouldn't put him in the same zip code as guys like Rashaun Woods and AJ Jenkins.

I would have to put Rashaun Woods at my top spot. My main reason is because that team was TERRIBLE offensively, and was really relying on him to be the replacement for TO. He couldn't even see the field when he was competing with Cedrick Wilson, Brandon Lloyd, Arnaz Battle, and a really old Curtis Conway.
i really really think it is a dead tie between woods and jenkins,, that is why i have this uncanny fear of drafting a wide out in the first round.. i must get over that
Let's just be thankful we never had as bad of a bust as JaMarcus Russel or Ryan Leaf.....
Rashaun Woods was awful - and I mean awful, considering he was our replacement when T.O. left when we had no talent at receiver, but still not a Jamarcus.
Originally posted by teylo31:
Alex Smith

ah nvm
[ Edited by SJniner7 on May 5, 2014 at 10:08 AM ]
http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000346036/best-worst-picks-for-first-32-draft-slots-over-last-10-years

Check this out - we got 3 worsts in a row, Balmer, Jenkins and Woods.....
I do disagree with the #10 slot - they put Jerrod Mayo as the best #10 pick in the past 10 years - I don't know if they've heard of another LB who was drafted in that slot - Patrick Willis........
Share 49ersWebzone