LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

49ers WORST 1st Rd. Pick Ever!!!

What frustrates me is when they swing on a guy and wiff, but the guys public scouting report says ... This guy will fail because of xyz.

Look if everybody and their brother says a dude is lazy .... Don't burn a first rounder on him.( cough ...woods ...)

That pass rusher from USC is about to do it to some poor team this year
Reggie McGrew , Rashaun Woods, Jim Druckenmiller , Mike Rumph , Kentwan Balmer .....I would throw in Taylor Mays as worst 2nd rounder , since we spent such a high cost to get him, and got a 7th round pick in return one season later ...what a waste
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerTy:
Steve Spurrier, anyone?

no. he was a good punter and without him we never would have made the playoffs in 72. brodie had to rescue us but he was still very good for about 8 games and made the cover of sports illustrated!!
We definitely had our flops.

Drunkenmiller really was a wasted pick.
Originally posted by 9erred:
You forget that the team traded Up to get JJ Stokes. Yikes.

He actually put up decent numbers until Steve Young got concussed in 1999. The trio of Jerry, TO, and JJ Stokes wasn't all that bad.
Israel Ifeanyi - technically he was a 2nd rd. pick in 96, but it was our first pick of the that draft. We traded away our first rounder the year before for Stokes. Horrendous draft moves.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD8QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sfgate.com%2Fsports%2Farticle%2F49ers-Cut-Ifeanyi-He-Was-Top-Pick-in-96-2814915.php&ei=ZUFlU8aSJNDwoATW44L4Dw&usg=AFQjCNFemnt60AQr1yeDvzxcmADMkv2eKw&bvm=bv.65788261,d.cGU

Makes me want to throw up. Our 90's drafts blew ass.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Gio Carmazzi
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Painful... memories... flooding... back!

Help me doc'. Make the bad man go away.

I can't believe you posted the image of the Anti-Christ on this forum. That goes beyond a banning. In about 10 minutes a Roman Catholic priest will knock on you door and attempt an exorcism.
Mike Rumph was mis-used. He would be perfect in todays Seahawks. Rumph was the best player i've seen in 20 years at taking WRs off the field in bump coverage and in his career never missed a tackle. But the 49ers played him way off (played all their corners way off then) and he was just eaten up by quick WRs.

My vote goes to Todd Kelly.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
Originally posted by 9erred:
You forget that the team traded Up to get JJ Stokes. Yikes.

He actually put up decent numbers until Steve Young got concussed in 1999. The trio of Jerry, TO, and JJ Stokes wasn't all that bad.

he caught 63 balls for us one year,,, i would have settled for half of that production from woods and jenkins

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Scoots:
Mike Rumph was mis-used. He would be perfect in todays Seahawks. Rumph was the best player i've seen in 20 years at taking WRs off the field in bump coverage and in his career never missed a tackle. But the 49ers played him way off (played all their corners way off then) and he was just eaten up by quick WRs.

he never missed a tackle,, hahaha,, the best player in 20 years hahah, he tried to tackle some guy and broken his arm. if he was so good what happened after he left us,, did the rams "mis use " him? did he scare other teams off because he was so awesome because i really do not recall ever hearing his name after he dumped him
  • Nuns
  • Veteran

At least they got Stubblefield in that same first round!
I didn't say he was the best player in 20 years ... he was the best at literally taking WRs off the field. Once a WR is off the field they can't make the catch. His confidence was ruined in very short order with the 49ers. The 49ers drafted a physical bump corner and NEVER had him in bump coverage. I'm not saying he was great, just that he had the potential to be better than he was and that the 49ers mis-used him. I don't believe I ever said he was great or "awesome".
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Unfortunately there are more than a few to choose from.

Although very recent, AJ Jenkins is the worst excuse for a first round pick Ive ever witnessed. Every draft broadcaster was like "WTF" when the Niners picked him, but I trusted that Baalke saw something that no one else did. 2 years later and he's gone. The singular play of AJ that I remember about him was the cream puff Kaep tossed him with no defender within 15 yards of him. And he dropped it. AJ wasn't just a swing-and-miss draft pick. He was a swing-and-fall-on-your-ass-while-tearing-your-ACL draft pick.

Honorable mention to 2nd Rd. pick Glen Coffee, just for the way he left

Glenn coffee was a 3rd round pick and he wasn't even that bad.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I didn't say he was the best player in 20 years ... he was the best at literally taking WRs off the field. Once a WR is off the field they can't make the catch. His confidence was ruined in very short order with the 49ers. The 49ers drafted a physical bump corner and NEVER had him in bump coverage. I'm not saying he was great, just that he had the potential to be better than he was and that the 49ers mis-used him. I don't believe I ever said he was great or "awesome".

rumph was over rated when he came here, he was over rated when he was here and even though i guess it is all our fault because we mis used him,, he was over rated when he left because he never did a damn thing
Share 49ersWebzone